Venezia's replacement out of NY?

edrussell

On 9/27/2024 at 11:22 PM, CruiseAdict218 said:

I’m thinking Venezia will probably be the ship for NY in summer 2026, as it seems most ships aren’t shifting homeports. 

I was hoping for the Vista or Horizon, but they have already announced sailings for summer 2026. .  I see the Magic is coming out of dry dock in late 2025 and might be a possibility, otherwise I agree, a 4th straight season of the Venezia from NYC.

3 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Vista just moved, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.  I don't think they will be moving Venezia until at least 2027.  I could see Magic going to NY when Miami gets the next Excel class ship.  Maybe Horizon goes to Long Beach and Panorama goes to the east coast.

Vista I wouldn’t say is locked into Florida like Mardi Gras, Celebration and Jubilee are for their current home ports. 

Magic probably goes back to Norfolk upon Sunshine’s retirement. I also believe it’s been pointed out Celebration only has a schedule released until February 2027. New XL takes over, Celebration changes homeports or moves to short sailings. Would be nice even if one of them came for a few sailings from NY, doesn’t even have to be a full season. One could wish. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Vista just moved, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.  I don't think they will be moving Venezia until at least 2027.  I could see Magic going to NY when Miami gets the next Excel class ship.  Maybe Horizon goes to Long Beach and Panorama goes to the east coast.

Flipping sister ships east to west coast and the financials to do so, makes little sense.

9 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Vista I wouldn’t say is locked into Florida like Mardi Gras, Celebration and Jubilee are for their current home ports. 

Magic probably goes back to Norfolk upon Sunshine’s retirement. I also believe it’s been pointed out Celebration only has a schedule released until February 2027. New XL takes over, Celebration changes homeports or moves to short sailings. Would be nice even if one of them came for a few sailings from NY, doesn’t even have to be a full season. One could wish. 

They have in the past brought new ships over and did limited duty on NYC.  Think it went by the wayside when the new ships were always late being turned over to the cruise line.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

They have in the past brought new ships over and did limited duty on NYC.  Think it went by the wayside when the new ships were always late being turned over to the cruise line.

Outside of Mardi Gras/Jubilee, I don’t believe any other new builds were late?

Think last new build we got was Horizon and then prior Vista (though brief), Venezia was on time but on a refit schedule, same with Sunshine & Sunrise. 

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

it was very limited duty, only like 2-4 sailings at most. Vista only did 2 sailings out of NYC (a Caribbean sailing and a reposition sailing). Mardi Gras was scheduled to do a few sailings like a short cruise to Canada, those never happened 

29 minutes ago, shof515 said:

it was very limited duty, only like 2-4 sailings at most. Vista only did 2 sailings out of NYC (a Caribbean sailing and a reposition sailing). Mardi Gras was scheduled to do a few sailings like a short cruise to Canada, those never happened 

Horizon did a full season from NY after only doing a month’s worth of European sailings during its inaugural year. 

5 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

One ship is fine, its just nice to have them rotated some what regularly. 

I understand the desire to have a different ship.  I was simply giving my thoughts (they did not ask me....) of the situation.  New York will be (in the future) a seasonal port, they have tried to sail year round from there and for CCL, it does not work.  Venezia fits the hole, the two small pools work in a climate where the pools (or lack there of) are part of the decision (my guess, have no insight, but it sure fits). Venezia also has a pool which can be covered.  As we all know, this ship came from Costa and was originally built for the China market.  My guess is pools are not a priority.

Your thoughts of a rotation are of course valid, but they have to consider whew each ship fits best.  There are of course, other factors, persistency, capacity, profitability, customer reviews and comments and more which factor into the decision of which ship sails from there.  That said, there is definitely history in the flipping of ships from one home port to another (also ones that stay put for years). all that said, I hope you get your wish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I understand the desire to have a different ship.  I was simply giving my thoughts (they did not ask me....) of the situation.  New York will be (in the future) a seasonal port, they have tried to sail year round from there and for CCL, it does not work.  Venezia fits the hole, the two small pools work in a climate where the pools (or lack there of) are part of the decision (my guess, have no insight, but it sure fits). Venezia also has a pool which can be covered.  As we all know, this ship came from Costa and was originally built for the China market.  My guess is pools are not a priority.

Your thoughts of a rotation are of course valid, but they have to consider whew each ship fits best.  There are of course, other factors, persistency, capacity, profitability, customer reviews and comments and more which factor into the decision of which ship sails from there.  That said, there is definitely history in the flipping of ships from one home port to another (also ones that stay put for years). all that said, I hope you get your wish.

I agree with your opinion, there would really only be one ship based from NY and that's just fine. But you are also right, Venezia's cover pool is ideal for winters and of course bad weather and fits the hole. Still a good addition to the fleet, regardless of unpopular opinions.

I would sail on Venezia again, but after sailing her 3 times back to back, I just want to try other ships, next year will be the first year in a while I don't have a Carnival cruise booked, excited to return to Princess and try NCL and Celebrity. 

• Like 2

I can remember when there were two Carnival ships based in NYC seasonally. One would do the 8 day Caribbean runs, and one would do the 4,5,& 7 day New England/ Canada  runs. Carnival seems to be cutting out the New England/ Canada runs which is what we want to do in September/ October 2026. If not Carnival there's always Royal Caribbean,  NCL,and Princess. Not interested in HAL or MSC. 😎

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

I can remember when there were two Carnival ships based in NYC seasonally. One would do the 8 day Caribbean runs, and one would do the 4,5,& 7 day New England/ Canada  runs. Carnival seems to be cutting out the New England/ Canada runs which is what we want to do in September/ October 2026. If not Carnival there's always Royal Caribbean,  NCL,and Princess. Not interested in HAL or MSC. 😎

I remember two CCL ships as well, but a good while ago, at least in my mind.  I also agree (unless something else breaks), that it appears CCL is not focused on north bound routes.  

Curious on your thoughts on the ixnay on HAL and MSC.  Have you cruised them before?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I remember two CCL ships as well, but a good while ago, at least in my mind.  I also agree (unless something else breaks), that it appears CCL is not focused on north bound routes.  

Curious on your thoughts on the ixnay on HAL and MSC.  Have you cruised them before?

No I haven't sailed those lines. HAL seems to be to quiet for us, and MSC reviews haven't given us the urge to sail them. :classic_cool:

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

No I haven't sailed those lines. HAL seems to be to quiet for us, and MSC reviews haven't given us the urge to sail them. :classic_cool:

Sailed MSC ( in their early days in the US) and was not impressed.  Actually trying HAL in January 11 day southern…. Of course I will be doing a review.

• Like 1