Two ship excursions on one day?

Megabear2

Sailing QE next September I am currently booked on the Skagway railway at 9.00am which was the only time available when I first looked, however another option has appeared for 1.00pm.  There is also a Glacier Discovery by helicopter trip which has caught my eye, this departing at 8.15 for 2 hours so assumedly arriving back around 10.15.  I am considering rebooking the railway trip for 1.00pm and taking the two trips.  The description for the helicopter trip states:

"This tour includes approximately 40 minutes of flying time (roundtrip) and 40 minutes on the glacier. The remaining time is for the return transportation to the quayside, a safety briefing, outfitting of glacier boots and aircraft assignment. All times are approximate."

I assume that the first trip would come back to the ship allowing time for me to perhaps have a look around before catching the train, however where would this be in conjunction with each other and is the plan practical and workable in the opinion of those who've been here.  Thank you.

The helicopters are based near the ship, so that works in your favor. I haven't done that tour, but others I've done in Alaska were good about being on time. Weather can affect flying, so that's a consideration--will they wait and hour if it's not great at 8:15, but getting better? I'd ask on the Alaska port of call board about ontime performance for the helicopters.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The helicopters are based near the ship, so that works in your favor. I haven't done that tour, but others I've done in Alaska were good about being on time. Weather can affect flying, so that's a consideration--will they wait and hour if it's not great at 8:15, but getting better? I'd ask on the Alaska port of call board about ontime performance for the helicopters.

We had two helicopter flights from Ketchikan cancelled on separate Alaska cruises. Too misty. The good news was our flight from Skagway [International ! ] airport back to Juneau took us Glacier viewing on the way back! 👍

• Like 1

We did a heli glacier trip in Valdez.  It was scheduled for the morning, I have forgotten the time.  On arrival at the heliport they said the weather did not permit flights then but may happen later.  The tour returned in the afternoon and we were good to go.  The briefing included assigning speciifc seats.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1