Catching flights after three cruise in Athens

Riskytou432

That could be affected to by where you are flying to...flights direct to the US have additional security clearances. It might also depend on your ability to get off the ship early in the process.

The airport is 30-40 minutes from the port. 

We are booked for a 12:30 direct flight to the US in Aug 2025.

1 hour ago, Riskytou432 said:

Going on celestyal journey in October 2025. Wondering what is the earliest flight we would be able to catch? Docking at 7:30 am

There is "docking time" and actual "disembarkation" time.  In a smaller ship as Celestyal, they are probably the same or close. A safe rule would be that flight time should be no less than 3-3.5 hours after disembarkation time. That allows time for transfer (taxi or private) to the airport and check in.   If you are planning on public transportation, add a little more time.

2 hours ago, Riskytou432 said:

Wondering what is the earliest flight we would be able to catch?

Should you be flying to the USA from Europe, it is usual to arrive at the airport 3 hours before the flight, much less if you are flying within Europe.

We were there a couple weeks ago and took the ship transfer bus to the airport.  (we had extra OBC to use or lose).

I was surprised at the heavy traffic - it was a good 1.5 hours to the airport.  Maybe a taxi would be a little faster than a bus, but not much, the problem was stopped traffic at lights, etc. pretty much the whole way.    This was a 9:30 am bus departure from the ship - we took the last shuttle as we were staying at the Sofitel hotel at the airport for an 11 am departure the next day, so we were not in a hurry.   

I would plan on flight time 4 hours after debarkation to be safe.

6 hours ago, jack dcruiser said:

Anyone stay at Soffit Hotel at the airport in Athens?

Yes, we stayed there.   It is a nice, larger hotel.   Very convenient to airport, you walk out the hotel lobby and you are 2 minutes walk from the airport entry doors.  We had a very good dinner at the hotel, they have a couple of restaurants.   We walked over to the airport after arriving (night before our flight) and discovered a nice small grocery store on the lower level of the airport, much better than the convenience stores in U.S. airports.  They had some produce, milk, groceries, etc.   

Posted (edited)

@jack dcruiser

We have been at the Sofitel a few times.  Always when we had a very late arrival in ATH and a very early flight to the islands the next morning.  Or viceversa.

If you have an afternoon or more in Athens followed by a departure the next morning after 9 or 10, you should stay in Athens.  You can have a nice afternoon and dinner in town. Next morning have your hotel book you a taxi to the airport.  It's only a 30-40 minute drive to the airport.

There is NOTHING to do at the Sofitel.  Only the airport terminal across the street or the hotel itself.  You would be bored to tears if you have to stay there more than one hour before a late dinner or one hour before boarding. Stay in Athens instead.  Much better food and more places to walk to and enjoy around your hotel there. 

Edited by marazul

Good to know.  Waiting for flights to open up on the dates we are looking at.  If we get off the ship at 9am and our flight is not till 4 or 5pm.  I wonder if they do day rates, or we could store our luggage and explore the beach area.  We will be staying in Athens before the cruise, but not the beach area.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 2:10 PM, jack dcruiser said:

Waiting for flights to open up on the dates we are looking at.  If we get off the ship at 9am and our flight is not till 4 or 5pm.  I wonder if they do day rates, or we could store our luggage and explore the beach area.  We will be staying in Athens before the cruise, but not the beach area.

We're in a similar situation, spending 2 1/2 days in Athens before our cruise and a long morning to burn after the cruise before our 5pm flight.   I'm considering using George's taxi for a day trip and possibly transfers while we're in town, and will inquire about this lost time after the cruise.   My assumption (yikes) is that if they can haul luggage to the port that it could be nicely tucked in the back for a half-day tour, and then they could drop us as the airport.  Probably a spendy option, but the Athens airport does not look like a place to spend lots of time, so it could be a great option. 

18 hours ago, TPgal said:

My assumption (yikes) is that if they can haul luggage to the port that it could be nicely tucked in the back for a half-day tour, and then they could drop us as the airport.  Probably a spendy option, but the Athens airport does not look like a place to spend lots of time, so it could be a great option. 

They do that all the time. It is a very enjoyable half day.

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2024 at 7:48 PM, TPgal said:

We're in a similar situation, spending 2 1/2 days in Athens before our cruise and a long morning to burn after the cruise before our 5pm flight.   I'm considering using George's taxi for a day trip and possibly transfers while we're in town, and will inquire about this lost time after the cruise.   My assumption (yikes) is that if they can haul luggage to the port that it could be nicely tucked in the back for a half-day tour, and then they could drop us as the airport.  Probably a spendy option, but the Athens airport does not look like a place to spend lots of time, so it could be a great option. 

That is what we are thinking of. Flight not till 4;45 and if we get off the boat,late 9am. Would like to maybe go to the beach area, since we are spending 3 days in Athens b4 the cruise. Any ideas would be appreciated