Tendering

natvtxn

We will be in Cozumel on 4/10 on Ecstacy. When I was there in October 2005 (5 days before Wilma visited) of course the pier was there. This is only my second cruise and therefore I've never experienced tendering in. We do not have an excursion planned as we plan to just go to the beach and shop for a bit. What I would like to know is what is tendering in like? What exactly happens. Any hints or tips on making it as smooth as possible. Thanks for all your help!

Unless you are in a rush to get off the ship, it is no big deal. You simply go down to the appropriate deck and get off the ship onto a large boat. It then carries you in to the beach, pier, etc.

I have never done this on carnival but have on another line where they use one of the lifeboats to tender. Trust me those things can get hot and stuffy. The pictures I have seen of the tenders in Coz show some nice large two deck boats that look very airy and comfortable.

IF you are prone to seasickness, and IF it is really choppy you might want to take something first but usually it is a short ride and doesn't bother anyone.

We have been on 6 cruises. We have never tendered. I have heard some people say they go on lil rafts, small boats or big boats to the dock. I have been thinking of taking a cruise to Western Carribbean. We have done Eastern 6 times. Seen most of it half a dozen times. This year we saw a few new places like Puerto Rico,Tortola and Antigua. Otherwise it is always Bahamas,St Thomas, St Maarten,Nassau or Freeport. Any help ?

Last week we tendered in Belize and Grand Cayman, and the boats were not the ships tender/lifeboats, they were private operators contracted with CCL. Because Coz. is a deep water port, the ship will be able to get fairly close so the tender ride is not that far (compared to Belize, where it is a 12 minute boat ride each way).

If you have a Carnival sponsored excursion, your ticket will say where and when to meet for tendering. If not, they will announce where you need to go (usually to the theater in the front) and when to pick up a tendering ticket (usually a numbered sticker that goes on your shirt) for just getting off the boat.

Food for thought: 3 guys almost missed the boat in Costa Maya (ship had pulled away from the dock, but pulled back in after a call from the dock master seeing them running down the pier) who were on their own for the day. A CCL sponsored excursion gives you the protection of not being left behind, or at least they would get you home. These guys were about 60 seconds away from being left on their own to get back to Miami.

Archived