Snorkeling gear on Xpedition

janesm

It's an all inclusive ship. scuba is about the only fee you'd pay if that's what you want to do. Don't forget this........ask the bartender to make you a chocolate shake. It's not on the drink menu but it's his specialty, you won't regret it.

Epedition is the best kept secret in the cruise/tour world.We have been cruising since 1978 and by far it was the most rewarding one.Celebrity did themselves proud on this one.Remember less than 100,000 people are allowed in each year so enjoy and learn from it.

Janesm, The only piece of equipment I would consider taking is a snorkel mask with prescription lenses if you need them. I did (I'm "blind in one eye and can't see out the other") and the prescription lenses worked great. They helped me see the two white tipped reef sharks that I was swimming toward. They're supposed to be "vegetarians", but they're also supposed to be dormant during the day. I also took a dry snorkel (but that's really light). The snorkel equipment (including the wet suits) on the Xpedition is very good, but obviously they don't have prescription lenses for masks.

I also agree with Gdayhoff. Celebrity does everything right on this cruise. If only all other cruises were as well done....

The best advice I can give anyone going is... relax and enjoy!!!

Dave

If you want to scuba dive bring proof of your certification. You will go in small groups , two or three people. The cruise director will arrange it for you. The cruise director will get you to the scuba site in a zodiac and arrange everything. The fee goes to some independant company. I did not go scuba diving but watched others who did. The only other thing that I had a fee was a massage and I was invited to a complimenatry massage as an elite member. You will love this cruise, it is one of the best I've encountered. I'm booked to do antartica on a small ship which also takes people out with a naturalist on zodiacs twice a day. After the xpedition I couldn't wait to do another cruise similar to the xpedition. Have a wonderful time.

janesm,

If your husband does go scuba diving please let me know how it was.

when is your cruise. We will be going tin November and hope to dive. we are very excited about the trip and will enjoy everyone's input.

As stated, Celebrity provides wet suits, fins, masks, snorkels and dive bags (with a numbered tag to help you keep track of it). The gear is given out for the week before the first snorkel is scheduled. My husband and I took our own masks and snorkels (he has a prescription in his and I have a great fitting mask and a dry snorkel). We found it was a bonus that our snorkels were different colors from those distributed, so it was much easier to find each other in the water when there was a gang. Unlike previous reports, you are now expected to keep your stuff in your stateroom-kind of a pain, but evidently gear hung on deck just got mixed up too much. During our week, 2 scuba dives were scheduled for a few passengers with a local operator and they reported great sightings. Not all of the snorkel sites had the best visibility, but overall it was great and we saw a lot of variety. The sea lions are a riot, the turtles huge and profound, the penguins comical and the spotted eagle rays other worldly, not to mention the variety of fish, urchins, sea stars, and the purple octopus in its "garden."

Some passengers did go scuba diving on the April 2-10 cruise we were on. They seemed to really enjoy it. Sorry, not a lot of info, was that?

Watch the snorkles on the masks. Two people I saw had very short, stubby ones that seemed much too short to be effective in the water. I don't know if they were for children or if they were damaged/defective in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

in an effort to keep this thread active...anyone who has scuba experience on the X please let me know how it was arranged and how difficult the dive is...we have heard the currents make the diving too difficult for novice divers...

there are 14 friends taking a November trip and 6 of us would like to dive

Deec, We are on the Nov. 5th sailing. When are you all going? We are divers and I'm still trying to decide whether we want to dive or not. I'd like to know how difficult it is, how good was it and what you have to miss on land. I think the perfect time would be when they ship visits Puerto Baquerizo.

we will be on the ship the next week from nov 12-19...we are hoping to do at least one dive but also love to snorkel so we may be satisfied with those great adventures. I think we will take our own masks and snorkels...I am still hopeful someone who has done a dive while on the xpediton may respond..I haven't done much research on the different islands so am not sure where the best diving option will be...we were notified of the new itinerary but it doesn't matter since this is a first visit for each of us

I think we would be happy with just snorkeling too. Puerto Baquerizo is on the current itinerary too. My selection is just based on the fact that the land excursion there is not very appealing (at least to me). Some of the sites mentioned as being the best are out near the northern islands were we don't go. In any event the descriptions I've read of those dives sounds too advanced for us. We do have advanced certs but, we don't have any experience diving in hairy conditions.

Not a diver, but....several very experienced divers went on our trip last May and reported great sightings and excellent dives. Did get cold after awhile for at least 2 of them. Water temps depend on time of year so check that out. For the most past, our wetsuits were more than adequate..we had long ones. Some who had short suits reacted more to the water, but never enough to stop snorkeling. Also, there are some advanced snorkel trips in water with quite a bit of current. I'm not a very strong swimmer and had to abort one of those because I was getting too far behind the others and tiring. They have zodiacs on the lookout all of the time and a simple hand in the air, brought one to me quickly. It's a blast...just writing about it makes me want to be there!

I think at one time they were and I saved the file. I don't think they have them posted anymore. I called to ask about the excursions for the modified itinerary and they told me we'd find out onboard. I can email you the file I have.

Archived