Departure Time for Brightline

IronJann

Flying into MIA and planning on taking the train to Fort Lauderdale. How long after we land should I plan a train departure time? I'm figuring with getting luggage, Uber to the train, and checking in luggage would be at least an hour. We're OK with a little longer since we will be going Premium and can hang out in the lounge. Should I pre-purchase tickets or just wait until we get to the station?

Instead of having to go first from MIA to downtown Miami to catch a Brightline train, why not just take a Tri-Rail train which is right there at MIA and take it to Fort Lauderdale? It won't be a premium experience but it would save you a couple hours and no reservations are needed. Cheaper too and Tri-Rail has several stations in the Fort Lauderdale area to choose from.

https://www.tri-rail.com/

If you don't decide to take the Tri-Rail as suggested, you should buy tickets in advance. You also should save money by going with just a regular SMART fare for that short ride. Finally, you can carry on two pieces of luggage each; I wouldn't pay to check bags, either, unless you exceed the allowance and/or have oversized bags. If the latter is the case, definitely get your tickets in advance -- the luggage option can go away when too many bags are checked already.

On 10/4/2024 at 9:27 PM, IronJann said:

Flying into MIA and planning on taking the train to Fort Lauderdale. How long after we land should I plan a train departure time? I'm figuring with getting luggage, Uber to the train, and checking in luggage would be at least an hour. We're OK with a little longer since we will be going Premium and can hang out in the lounge. Should I pre-purchase tickets or just wait until we get to the station?

I am also interested in the timing which neither answered so far since I am planning to use Brightline to go to Orlando.  I would not take Tri-Rail.  I used to use the buses in Fort Lauderdale and two bus stations were also train stations.  There were a number of transients hanging at the stations who could pose a problem to tourists with luggage.  You would have an issue getting rideshare pickups there.  Brightline stations do not have an issue with transients on property.  

Thanks for the comments, but I am not looking for the less expensive option. We are looking at the upgraded train ride as part of our vacation experience. I was just hoping someone would have a recommendation on how soon after we land I should expect to leave. I am thinking with a 4:30 landing time, the 6:50 train would give us plenty of time to gather the luggage, Uber to the station and then enjoy some food and drink in the Premium lounge before we depart.

• Like 1

The BrightLine Miami station is 20-25 minutes from the airport. Once in the station it's about 5-10 minutes to the train level on the third floor. Two long escalators or one elevator, with the lounge on the middle floor.

For a domestic arrival, I don't see a problem with your plan. I affirm the suggestion to get tickets and baggage reservations (if needed) ahead of time.

• Like 1

I can't help with the time, but also recommend pre-booking, not only does it cost less, but you can usually reschedule as needed should your flight be late.  Keep an eye out for sales, join the email list and watch for the discount codes.  My July r/t Orlando to Miami was $130 for premium, totally worth the upcharge. I also got a $10 uber credit each way.  I'm watching now for my december cruise, this time out of FLL, I haven't decided yet which train to catch for home.