PSA: Labadee is scheduled to reopen on October 8.

JP350

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

There was someone here on the RC boards that has been on a ship that stopped a few times at night to drop off supplies at Labadee, since they stopped sailing there. I wish I could remember who it was.  If I remember the ship was Adventure, but I’m going from memory.

Anyone else remember who it was? @orville99 looking in the search box I think it was you.

Yes, it was him.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Those guards have been there for the 10-12 years I have been stopping there.  Nothing new at all.

Over the decades of cruising I've also seen armed guards in Nassau (repeatedly), Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, and Labadee (in the late 90s). (Not cruising related but Paris as well) Nothing new, and I've never personally felt more unsafe than in any major American city at any Caribbean port.

Edited by JP350
  • Like 1

I think it's interesting that folks are pointing out that armed police or military are normal when traveling or in crowded public areas so somehow we should disregard the situation in Haiti as less or not risky.

Labadee is not an international airport, nor is it a heavily populated area (i.e. Paris, Frankfurt), yet they've always had armed guards and a wall protecting it. I think that speaks to the level of risk folks are taking going there, especially right now with the level of violence and humanitarian crisis* happening no more than a 5 hour drive away.

Edited by notscb

8 hours ago, notscb said:

I think it's interesting that folks are pointing out that armed police or military are normal when traveling or in crowded public areas so somehow we should disregard the situation in Haiti as less or not risky.

Labadee is not an international airport, nor is it a heavily populated area (i.e. Paris, Frankfurt), yet they've always had armed guards and a wall protecting it. I think that speaks to the level of risk folks are taking going there, especially right now with the level of violence and humanitarian crisis* happening no more than a 5 hour drive away.

Maybe we should halt all cruise embarkations from Florida ports because there is a humanitarian crisis less than a 5 mile drive up the eastern coast. How can one possibly enjoy themselves?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

They were all over Frankfurt airport when I had a connecting flight in 2005.

And they have been on the light rail line in Munich as long as I can remember, and the last time I was there was in 1995.

They are a common sight in most European countries that I traveled to during my career wherever there is large public transportation infrastructure.

Edited by orville99