Any recs for these ports: Key West, Coco Cay, Bimini, Puerto Plata, sea days on Apex or tips for the Retreat?

I will be in Key West next month and doing research I came across a free HOHO bus in Key West. It is called the Duval Loop bus, and makes 18 stops along the way, and runs every half hour in the mornings – from 8 am to 10 am, every 20 minutes from 10 am to 8 pm and then every 30 minutes again from 8 pm to 10 pm.

The closest stop to the cruise terminal is Whitehead & Greene.

I have never been on this bus so cannot verify accuracy.

10 hours ago, calicakes said:

We were on our first( and last) Virgin cruise last week.  We could NOT get a reservation at The Wake.  I tried when they opened up, I waited in an hour long line when we boarded, I walked in when told to.  Nothing.  They tout that all specialty restaurants are included.  That is BS if you can't get a reservation.  The other restaurants that we dined at were just OK.  The Galley was kind of a joke.  It seems like there is a lot to chose from, but there really isn't.  

We have been on Virgin twice. The first time we had a horrible time with the dining reservations. The second time we set an alarm to make reservations the minute the reservations opened - not ideal but it worked. 

There used to be a free trolley that went round key west, but that was some years ago so don’t know if it still exists.

We’ve been to coco cay twice, it’s a great cheap beach day. The only thing we pay for is to go jet skiing. Otherwise we use the free loungers, eat the included food (and drink if you have the package) and explore. There’s a nice little nature trail and we usually manage to get a spot on the swim out tiki bar in the ocean 😊

On 10/14/2024 at 6:06 PM, chamima said:

The Bimini Beach Club isn't the one used by Celebrity. Their excursion is to Resorts World.

I'm usually leery of using any cruise line's "beach day" as you can usually get there yourself less expensively. They are charging $51/pp for round trip shuttle (which might be free???) entrance, a chair and umbrella and one drink.

Anyone have experience with Resorts World on Bimini?

Going on your own to Resorts World was $55 each. It was cheaper booking through Celebrity. We took the free shuttle there. There are 2 separate lines for the shuttle one is the cruise line excursions and the other is free. The free shuttle takes you around the island.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Going on your own to Resorts World was $55 each. It was cheaper booking through Celebrity. We took the free shuttle there. There are 2 separate lines for the shuttle one is the cruise line excursions and the other is free. The free shuttle takes you around the island.

thank you. 
Are you glad you went there?

On 10/14/2024 at 7:16 PM, jaapie said:

I will be in Key West next month and doing research I came across a free HOHO bus in Key West. It is called the Duval Loop bus, and makes 18 stops along the way, and runs every half hour in the mornings – from 8 am to 10 am, every 20 minutes from 10 am to 8 pm and then every 30 minutes again from 8 pm to 10 pm.

The closest stop to the cruise terminal is Whitehead & Greene.

I have never been on this bus so cannot verify accuracy.

The problem I see with the HOHO is no one hops off.  I have seen long lines people waiting and the vehicle arrives and maybe 2 get off.   You could be waiting a long time.   I could never figure out why anyone would get on and then off 1 or 2 blocks away.   They could have walked for all the time they waited.   If you do decide to do it the best way is once on ride the whole loop before getting off then get off at the stop that interests you.  

Many will get off at the southern most point.   The line is very long if you want a photo there by the buoy Monument.   

Observe the HOHO and judge for yourself before purchasing a ticket. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

In Key West I walked from the cruise ship to Hemingway Home and Museum. Maybe 15 to 20 min each way. I took the tour and really enjoyed it. Don't skip the gift shop. Great home and tons of cats. Just bought a ticket outside the home and museum. Open 9-5.

Many places to get key lime pie although I missed out. Will try it next trip.

Lots of souvenir shops. Also tons of bars with interesting drinks.

Enjoy your cruise.

28 minutes ago, wansley said:

In Key West I walked from the cruise ship to Hemingway Home and Museum. Maybe 15 to 20 min each way. I took the tour and really enjoyed it. Don't skip the gift shop. Great home and tons of cats. Just bought a ticket outside the home and museum. Open 9-5.

Many places to get key lime pie although I missed out. Will try it next trip.

Lots of souvenir shops. Also tons of bars with interesting drinks.

Enjoy your cruise.

Agree that the Hemingway House tour is worthwhile and plenty of good spots to grab lunch.  All in all a nice port to walk around and much better than Bimini IMO. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, chamima said:

thank you. 
Are you glad you went there?

We didn't go. I thought it would have been cheaper just showing up but I was wrong. Now that we live in Florida full time the Bahamas just doesn't pack the same punch has it did when we were living in New York. I couldn't see spending $110 to sit on a beach. Instead we went to the free beach by the ship for an hour or two  and then headed back to the ship. This was our first time sailing in Aqua class and we spent the afternoon on an empty ship in the Spa. I think the ship is going to become the destination for us on Caribbean Itineraries. We got spoiled in Blu so I will have to budget so we can enjoy Aqua class again in the future.

• Thanks 1