Hurricane Milton

33 minutes ago, KSprite01 said:

Do they ever switch ports? I'm wondering if there's any chance of Enchantment (10/12 departure from Tampa) being rerouted to Miami, Galveston, New Orleans, if the Tampa port is devastated by the storm surge. We are supposed to fly in Friday afternoon.

It's possible, and I have heard of it - though most recently for Baltimore's port and bridge woes, which had nothing to do with a hurricane. I don't think it's very likely, but keep your eyes and ears open just in case. 🙏

16 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

70% of stations in Fort Myers are reportedly out of gas.  But supposedly more is on the way.  We have both vehicles topped off and are staying put.  We are inland enough.  Milton, don’t prove me wrong.😑 😥

I'm in Cape Coral and staying put.  Filled up the car last week at Costco before everyone went crazy.  I figure if we survived Ian we can survive this.  My neighbor has a robust generator that powers everything in his kitchen except the stove.  It also powers his TV, so that becomes Hurricane Central from morning coffee on.

• Like 2

MSC Seashore finally sent the email of choosing to leave Friday and miss a night or reschedule. I will be rescheduling due to the uncertainty of what will happen with the storm. We have no idea what type of Damage we will have or if we lose power for days with that type of uncertainty and rough seas I have decided for a credit. Good luck to all traveling. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Nestsimar said:

MSC Seashore finally sent the email of choosing to leave Friday and miss a night or reschedule. I will be rescheduling due to the uncertainty of what will happen with the storm. We have no idea what type of Damage we will have or if we lose power for days with that type of uncertainty and rough seas I have decided for a credit. Good luck to all traveling. 

Are they giving you any credit if you miss the night?

Edited by KSprite01

10 minutes ago, waterfall17 said:

Is anyone watching Harmony of the Seas? It was in 15ft surf and 35mph winds and chasing Milton, then turned around today. What did it think it was going to do?? Follow it out of the Gulf? 

Latest on the RC blog is Costa Maya Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday. Probably got too rough and decided to back off a bit. If the storm doesn't get out of the way soon, I would guess they will have to skip Costa Maya or arrive late. A ship that large should be able to handle 15' waves without safety issues, but at some point, the people getting seasick overrides those that will be upset by being late or missing a port.

The Carnival Breeze has backed down to 13 kn to not catch up to the back of the storm. I am guessing their stop in Cozumel tomorrow will be a late arrival at best, although nothing official on the Carnival web site yet.

Captain just told us that we will be at sea on the 10th and return to Cape Canaveral on the 11th as soon as the port reopens.

Yesterday was heavy rain at Ocean Cay, we still had fun and today was windy and in and out sun. Now as we sail away towards Nassau it is sunny and smooth sailing!

But now we are struggling with do we fly home from Nassau at our expense or return to Cape Canaveral and hope we can still fly home. Southwest has moved our flights at no cost but the unknown of if the port or airport will be open...

We live in Upstate New York so no worries about weather

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2024 at 10:25 AM, Meli1234 said:

Based on this morning update on the hurricane, you may still be able to board later in the day Friday (if not Saturday) from Port of Miami. We are not in the cone. BUT, I feel like there should be a reform from cruise industry to allow cancel or reschedule at no extra change when your embarkation or disembarkation is in cone of uncertainty like they do with flights.. 

We are  supposed to leave Saturday from Miami on the Horizon, My biggest concern is getting to the port, since we have to drive from North Carolina (Charlotte area - not the area affected by Helene, thank God), Our plan is to drive to Kingsland, GA on Thursday as originally planned. Friday morning, we hope to know the extent of the damage and whether to make the drive south or turn around, Our biggest concern is whether power will be out and the availability of gas.

• Like 1

I live in the path just outside NE Orlando and we are scheduled to leave Port Canaveral on Utopia on Friday 10/11. Disney Wish cancelled their Friday cruise, but we haven't heard anything yet on ours. I have seen lots of folks having to cancel for our cruise, so if we sail it may be an interesting experience.

2 hours ago, simplelife said:

We are  supposed to leave Saturday from Miami on the Horizon, My biggest concern is getting to the port, since we have to drive from North Carolina (Charlotte area - not the area affected by Helene, thank God), Our plan is to drive to Kingsland, GA on Thursday as originally planned. Friday morning, we hope to know the extent of the damage and whether to make the drive south or turn around, Our biggest concern is whether power will be out and the availability of gas.

We are on the same cruise too. We fly out Friday morning through Nashville then to Miami. My concern (and the hurricane of course) is delayed flights.

1 hour ago, cherryharley said:

Thanks for sharing. You're forgiven for the insanely long link. There are lots of changes, plus a lot of uncertainty. Here's a TL,DR:

* Elation current sailing won't return on time (Thursday). They're hopeful about running a shortened cruise starting Friday

* Paradise won't make it back on time (Thursday) and the next cruise is canceled. 🙁

* Glory may not make it back on time (Friday). Cruisers on Friday's cruise are asked to stand by.

* Sunrise may not make it back on time (Thursday). Cruisers on Thursday's cruise are asked to stand by.

* Sunshine might have to dodge Milton on the way back to Charleston and may not make it back on time (Saturday). Saturday cruisers are asked to stand by.

* Valor has to dodge Milton on the way back to New Orleans and may not make it back on time (Thursday). Thursday cruisers are asked to stand by.

• Thanks 1

Im on the enchantment thats returning to tampa on saturday. Cruise told us we may be rerouted to port canaveral or everglades. First time  this has happened to me. What sort of assistancs will rc provide for flights home? My plane ticket is from tpa on sunday.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Grecco said:

Im on the enchantment thats returning to tampa on saturday. Cruise told us we may be rerouted to port canaveral or everglades. First time  this has happened to me. What sort of assistancs will rc provide for flights home? My plane ticket is from tpa on sunday.

You'll know best what they're going to do for you since you've onboard.  In the past, in similar situations, cruise lines have opened up the Internet for everyone and sometimes even the phone lines for free.  They may also offer to pay for change fees for airport flights.  They will cover the costs to shuttle from port to port.

My advice is not to worry too much about this.  What will happen will happen.  In the meantime, enjoy your cruise.  👍

Will the Orlando area likely be safe to visit Sunday?  I’m reading there is flooding risks. I’m more worried about the infrastructure etc - I’m from the middle of Canada so I have zero experience with hurricanes.

Orlando should be fine by Sunday. Disney, SeaWorld and Universal are all closing by 2pm today and will be closed tomorrow. I think Orlando will be reopening most areas on Friday depending on damage and flooding, including the airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am really praying for my friends and family who live down there: my dad has a condo in Bonita Springs, my cousin and her husband live in Fort Myers, I have friends in Tampa and Orlando, and I'm planning to attend a wedding at St Pete Beach next February. All of what I see on the Weather Channel really worries me. At least we don't have to worry about our condo in Fort Myers, because we sold it in 2023 after it was basically destroyed by Ian. Hoping Floridians survive this double whammy intact!

• Like 2

Cape Canaveral hospital was just instructed to evacuate. Port Canaveral is expected to be closed through Friday. Milton is expected to have a direct hit on Cape Canaveral. Wouldn't be surprised if Port Canaveral is closed for several days.

22 hours ago, toad455 said:

I miss when Cruise Critic used to have articles during hurricanes season summarizing all of the cruise lines altered itineraries.

another site posted some very incorrect info. pride had never been in NJ  lol. so would be nice to see this site giving more accurate info

image.thumb.png.543560903dc2816157b93888829f721d.png

• Haha 1