Embarking Serenity in Rio

PaulaJK

Unfortunately this is carnival season and hotel rates are breathtaking. Does anyone have a recommendation for 

a hotel, preferably in Copacabana or Ipanema areas. Thank you.

They will all be high priced for any type of decent accommodation.  And upscale to luxury will dent the credit limit on your card.

I was booked on the Rio to Cape Town segment that got cancelled.  My usual plan is to arrive early so that air troubles won't cause me to miss the ship.  For Rio with Carnival, I figured it was better to fly to Sao Paulo a couple of days early and just fly up to Rio on the day of departure.  There are frequent flights from SP right to the airport next to the cruise terminal.

Of course, that all became a moot point, as I wasn't interested in the revised itinerary towards the Med.

Good luck, and be careful selecting your lodging.

Years ago at this stage you would not be able to find a hotel in Rio during this time frame.

If it was me, having been to Rio several times including during Carnival and on business trips if there was availability I would look at the Crystal pre-cruise program even though I know they are pricey. Whatever you do, select a safe hotel and be very careful including not walking around with valuable with you and guard your passports safely by keeping them in the safe.  Rio is a place to be on your guard and more so during Carnival.

I have stayed at the Copacabana Palace Hotel which happens to be part of the Crystal hotel program and have also visited it a few times.

Keith

• Like 1

Carnaval time is very difficult to get a good place to stay in Rio, which is not very expensive. This is why we avoid New Years and Carnival stays in Rio. We go by ship. Would not be an option for you to take the previous Crystal Cruise? 

Ivi

well, everyone is correct regarding scarcity and pricing..plus many hotels have minimum stay requirements…and we take the safety issues seriously. We are coming in for only 2 nights as we have visited Rio previously. In brief, one is paying a ludicrous sum compared to the ordinary fees. So I am starting to wonder how smart/ stupid it would be to fly in morning of boarding. We never do this for all of the wise reasons..but..the ship remains in Rio for one additional day. We do fly out from NYC and snow is always possible in March.

sorry for the italics but periodically it will not go off

Ivi..good idea but we have already chosen the next leg into Lisbon. Incidentally, the leg that departs Buenos Aires also was very tight on very expensive hotels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulaJK said:

well, everyone is correct regarding scarcity and pricing..plus many hotels have minimum stay requirements…and we take the safety issues seriously. We are coming in for only 2 nights as we have visited Rio previously. In brief, one is paying a ludicrous sum compared to the ordinary fees. So I am starting to wonder how smart/ stupid it would be to fly in morning of boarding. We never do this for all of the wise reasons..but..the ship remains in Rio for one additional day. We do fly out from NYC and snow is always possible in March.

sorry for the italics but periodically it will not go off

If this was me I would look at what happens if you miss the ship.  Where would you fly and when would you board.  If it was me I would come in earlier no matter how many times I have visited Rio.   Turn this is me and why we fly in more than two days before the start of a cruise.

• Like 1

Yes the rates are high -- $800/900 per night but there is plenty of availability at both the JW and Sheraton. Unfortunately that is the way it is during carnival in Rio (or even in NOLA).   Suggest you stay off beach at the Hilton Barra- decent hotel at around $300 per night.

Hilton at Copacabana is showing sub-$180 rates.  JW Marriott around $230.  Keith's suggestion of Copacabana Palace is running about $600 per night for the two nights before the cruise.

Ipanema area hotels are significantly higher.

Thank you for your feedback. Indeed, rates are v high for carnival, some w minimums ..many are non refundable….e.g Copacabana Palace has a 4 night min w rates starting at $1425. The Marriott comes in about 400-500$. Hilton at Copa has no availability…so anyone in our position probably should book now.