Lake Bracciano questions

frantic36

We have a cruise next August starting from Civitavecchia. We love Rome and have stayed a few times, however with the Vatican announcement that next year will be a Jubilee year we have decided to branch out and stay elsewhere. I stumbled across Lake Bracciano in a travel blog and it sounds lovely. We will have 4 nights pre-cruise. Have any of you well travelled people visited there and do you think there is enough to do for 4 days?

We aren't comfortable driving in Europe but are more than happy to use public transport or if something really interesting hire a driver.

Any other suggestions of somewhere would be welcome. We have visited Tarquina a few times and stayed in Tivoli last year so they aren't on our list. 

I wouldn't say that Lake Bracciano has enough to occupy me for four days in the immediate vicinity, but then I'm not a traveler who likes relaxing, so take it as you will. The main thing to see in the immediate vicinity is Castello Odescalchi. Not sure if there is much else. Tours are likely offered to some other nearby spots. Cerveteri, another site with a stunning Etruscan cemetery, is not far, if you are staying in the actual town of Bracciano.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with cruisemom about Bracciano.  

Another suggestion would be the Castelli Romani area Southeast of Rome. There are beautiful towns around lakes Albano and Nemi, such as Castel Gandolfo (Pope's palace), Frascati (wines), Ariccia (the home of the porchetta), and others.  The towns are close together and there may be more public transport.  As with Bracciano, a car would be best.  

• Thanks 1

I enthusiastically second marazul's idea of Frascati. A pleasant little place and lots to see nearby. I stayed in a traditional older hotel, Hotel Flora, and loved it (see link), it is well located, about a 4-block walk to train station to get around the area, and some rooms have views to Rome (on clear days). Nice low-key restaurant that serves good Frascati house wine. 😉

It's close enough to Rome (by convenient train) if you wanted to go in for a day to see something, but far enough that you feel like you're in a different world.

• Like 2

@marazul and @cruisemom42  thank you both. I have just done a quick look and Frascati looks very interesting. I read it is known as the City of Wine, that certainly sounds good for us. Hotel Flora looks like our sort of hotel so thank you for the link cruisemom42. 

We are off to Japan tomorrow but will do more research on our return home.

• Like 1