Paris in 3 days with 2 teenage girls!Help

Staro

:) My husband and I and our two teenage daughters (16,14) will be stpopping in Paris July 10-13. I would appreciate any info about "must do" attractions we can do in 3 days ,reasonable price hotel close to attraction, best way to get from the airport to the hotel and any other tips we can use.Thanks:)

Staro:

You might want to consider getting the Paris Museum pass. It's good for 1,3 or 5 days. You can do a Google search to get the official site with info. It's good for all the major sites except the Eiffle tower. My husband and I found this useful because we only had buy it once, didn't have to wait in line at each site to buy a ticket and there was a special line to enter at most sites like Notre Dame, Louve, Versailles, Orsay, Napolean's tomb, Arc de Triump, etc. (sorry for probably misspelling all those!) Also, if you visit a site and don't care for it, you can go ahead and leave and see something else.

We found the subways easy to use, buy a carnet(msp?) of 10 tickets and you save some money. The tickets can be split between all of you. (if you use the subway, hold on to your subway ticket because you will need it to get out of the station) Get a good map of Paris!!! I found a good one at Barnes and Noble that had all the streets laid out well with the subway stops and sites listed too.

We used Air France's bus service from CDG. Our hotel was a short walk from the stop we used. This service had several routes and again, can be found with an internet search. There is also a RER train from the airport to several locations but we didn't use it. Several people advised us to avoid taxis in Paris because of cost and language problems.

Check out Rick Steve's books and internet site for Paris ideas. We found his Paris book to be invaluable. He has wonderful recommendations for places to stay and eat.

Well, Its hard to imagine a better place to be with a few teenagers. I suspect your girls will not want to be "dragged" through museums (some of them are teriffic) but will just be excited to be in the city. Certainly take them up the Eiffel Tower, walk through the streets so that they can have fun in the shops (the Marais area is trendy,,,Rue de Rivoli is fun) and certainly have lunch at a well-placed outdoor cafe (they are everywhere). As to Museums, the Louvre is of course the most famous (and huge) but our favorite is the Musee D'Orsay which has the best Imprssionists and is in a really "neat" building that is a converted train station. Oh, and most important is take your girls on a boat ride on the Seine (they start at several locations).

Hank

We were in Paris with our 3 kids (9,11,14) and they loved it! Hotels and eating are pricey. We took a private van from the airport, about $120 for the 5 of us. For transportation in the city we used mostly the subway (loop?) which was easy, fun, and cheap. Had dinner in the Eiffle Tower, touristy but memorable. Had great fun at Montemarte (sp?) and saw Mona at the Louvre . Outdoor lunch on the Champee (sp?) and crepes from the vendors. The kids enjoyed the cultural differences more than any cruise they were on. Have fun!:D

Here‘s a great site:

http://www.atkielski.com/default.html

Bateaux Mouches!!!! It is the boat trip on the river that you can take for lunch or dinner. In the daytime, we sat outside on deck and watched Paris go by while listening to a French accordion player playing wonderful French music and eating a delicious lunch! Amazing day. The following evening we took it again for dinner. We sat inside this time and listened to a harpist while watching the lights of the city go by! We had our teenage son with us and it is one of his favorite things we did on the whole trip. It was such an elegant evening and wonderful way to see Paris "painlessly." Oh, ask your hotel to make a reservation for you. You board within walking distance of the Eiffle Tour.

There are lots and lots of hotels in Paris and picking one can be hard. We went in 1998 and a friend recommended this place.

Hotel St. Dominique

http://www.hotels-paris.fr/en/hotel/Yours-Saint-Dominique.htm#

We were looking for a smaller quant place - it was my first trip to Europe and didn't want a hotel that looked the same as any US hotel. Hotel St. Dominique was perfect - Left Bank, close to the Eifel Tower and the river. Most important it was close to the Metro. We took a bus from the airport to downtown then then Metro to the hotel.

Hotel St. Dominique is in a residential neighborhood and you can really see how the Parisians live - walking home w/ the bread under their arm, etc.

I also borrowed a Cheap Eats in Paris book from a friend and found lots of GREAT places to eat the the hotel.

If you can fit it in do a bus tour to Versailles (sp?) - it was awesome. We also took the Chunnel to London after our stay in Paris - great trip!!!

I also recall meeting a young woman on our trip to Versailles and we started talking - she was staying with her husband who was on business in a very fancy expensive hotel. I asked her if she like it and said no - the staff was very rude to her (she only ate Kosher food), the other people staying there wouldn't talk to her and she was wishing she was back home as her husband had to work so much. I told her about our experience - how the staff us feel welcome, made arrangements for the tour - made other recommendations, the yummy complentary b'fast. She wanted to check out of her big hotel and stay at our smaller quant hotel.

We haven't made it back to Paris again, but would stay at the Hotel St. Dominique in a heart beat.

Enjoy!!!

3 days is not enough! But here are a few more suggestions:-

a) shopping. You have to go shopping. The main department stores are Printemps and Galleries Lafayette, both on Boulevard Haussman. For small luxury (and unbelievably expensive) boutiques, try Boulevard Faubourg-Ste-Honore;

b) you may also be able to go to the beach! (well, sort-of). For the last few years the city authorities have imported tons & tons of white sand, and have converted 2 kms of roads along the Seine into a man-made beach, complete with palm trees and beach loungers. Just the thing after some major retail therapy....

Seriously, though, the best thing to do in Paris is just be in Paris. That means walking, strolling, stopping to rest, eating & drinking - just soak it all up.

I'm currently planning a trip to Paris in September and have found the tripadvisor paris forum to be very helpful. Here's the link. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187147-i14-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Trying to select a hotel can be overwhelming. After reading alot of reviews we decided to try the Best Western Le Jardin de Cluny. It's in a good location for sightseeing, etc.

We are going to probably just take a Parisien Taxi from the aiport. There will be only just 2 of us and from all my reading it sounds the best.

Enjoy your trip!

:) My husband and I and our two teenage daughters (16,14) will be stpopping in Paris July 10-13. I would appreciate any info about "must do" attractions we can do in 3 days ,reasonable price hotel close to attraction, best way to get from the airport to the hotel and any other tips we can use.Thanks:)

When it comes for the best way to get from/to the airport, it all depends where in Paris are you staying. On my trip to Paris last year I purchased online a Paris Visite card, it´s a transportation pass that you can use on the Metro and the Bus. It comes in zones 1-5, 1-7, etc. I got the 1-7 zone that included CGD and Versailles, so we took the Roissybus from CDG to the Opera, and then a taxi to the hotel (it was very close but we had a lot of luggage, it was 9 Euros), and we did the same thing to go back to CDG. We took the RER to Versailles, and went everywhere on the Metro and the Bus (very easy transportation system in Paris).

You´ll have a great time, next time plan a longer stay, nothing compares to Paris, it´s my favorite destinantion!!

I just flew back from Paris last night. It's one of my favorite cities. I get there about twice a year and know it well.

I think you've gotten some great suggestions and will add some comments.

I personally don't recommend buying a museum pass. Unless your girls are real museum lovers, I think you'll end up paying more unless you go to a couple per day. If you skip a day, you've lost money. The pass is for a continous 3 days. Even though I'm an art and museum lover, I bought the pass for my first trip to Paris and found it to be not economical because I skipped one day of museum going. Never bought it again.

Someone posted a link to a hotel - St. Dominique. If you're considering this, I'd double check with them about air conditioning. I clicked on the link provided and saw that it was a two star hotel which often don't have a/c. It's not mentioned in the hotel description. You don't want to be in Paris in July with no a/c! Generally 3 star hotels have a/c and 2 star hotels often don't - always double check though. Best Western has bought up some of the charming little hotels in Paris so you can check their website for some idea's too.

For neighborhoods, I'd recommend staying in one of the following arrondisements (districts) the Marais, (3rd & 4th), St. Germain des Pres (6th), 1st, 7th, 8th. Your girls will enjoy exploring the 5th - the latin quarter but I wouldn't stay there as it's often too noisy because it's the student area. Most hotel sites tell you which arrondisement they're in. If they don't, look at the zip code - the last two numbers indicate which arrondisment they're in. They're are 20 in total that start with number 1 in the middle and then spiral around like a snail. But the 1st to the 8th are the most populated with hotels.

Since all "the attractions" are spread out all over Paris, there's no hotel or neighborhood to recommend that's "close to attractions".

One of my favorite family restaurants is La Gare in the 16th. (Metro: La Muette) It's an old train station converted to a restaurant and they have a lovely outdoor dining terrace. I ate there two nights ago with my friends and their kids and it's reasonably priced.

Another must visit is Berthillion Ice Cream. When you look at a map of Paris, you'll see two small islands in the middle of the Seine. One is Il de la Cite and that's where Notre Dame and St. Chappelle are located (must see's IMO), from there, it's a two minute walk to Il St. Louis which is mostly residential but the main street has some cute shops and the famous Berthillion ice Cream.

In the Marais, which was the traditional jewish neighborhood which is now the Hot, chic and gay neighborhood, the fun street is rue de Rosiers. For a cheap, delicious lunch eat as L'as du Falafel. The Picasso Museum is in this neighborhood too.

Crepes on the street are another "cheap eats".

The best macaroons are at LaDuree. There are about 3 shops/restaurants in Paris. Nice for lunch too. They all have a take out counter just for pastries and their famous macaroons. www.LaDuree.com

If you like to keep snacks in your room, look for your neighborhood MonoPrix. This is the Paris answer to Target. They have a bit of everything, including groceries. There one in just about every neighborhood. Ask your hotel concierge where the closest one is.

BTW, every attraction and restaurant in Paris will tell you the closet metro stop to their place. This is often indicated by an "M" in a circle and then the name of the station. Makes things very easy.

Jane

Jane, what wonderful suggestions! Great detail! We haven't been to Paris in so long, I am printing out your post! Sounds like you had a great time. No problems with the protesters, then? I have to laugh at my French mother who is disgusted with the protesters....I keep reminding her that we have our own problems right here in Los Angeles!;)

We used the Batobus last summer. This is a hop on hop off boat (water taxi) that does a constant loop from Notre Dame to the Tower. You get unlimited rides and the multiday ticket is really reasonable. A trip to the top of the Effle Tower is a must, and we walked down which was really a great experience. Sunset at the Arch de Triumph, sitting on the lawn to wait for the Tower to twinkle, being able to picnic (with wine) anywhere, seeing the Louvre lit up at night. If you are like us, you'll just get to Paris and fall in love with this wonderful city.

Do get your hands on guidebooks and videos before you go. Check out the Travel Channel to see if they are running anything on Paris--Samantha Brown did two programs last year. Rick Steves has a couple of programs also.

Learn the polite words in French and use them!! Be sure to formally greet storeowners and other service people with a simple Bonjour Madam when you enter. Take some time to enjoy a leisurely lunch (or dinner) at a sidewalk cafe, just like in the movies.

The nice thing about Paris is that its safe (well--I'm used to Philly and NYC) and very user friendly. ENJOY

In February I took our 3 teenagers, 14, 16, and 18, to Paris for a 3-day weekend. They have been to Paris before but we did things we had not done before. They loved Montmartre, 2-3 hours at the Louvre, the fun car expos on the Champs Elysee, the top of the Arch de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower at night, and just being in Paris. One of my favorite day trips is to Versailles but we did not have time. In July I think they might have the evening light and history shows at Versailles and these are really fun. The nice thing about Paris is you stay out very, very, late with the Parisians. If you want more detailed info on hotels, etc. please e-mail me at cherieclarkcole@yahoo.com. Also the bateaumouche are a great way to see everything along the Seine, day or night, and you do not need to eat on board. Also, on Sunday evenings there are concerts in Notre Dame and the sound is incredible. There is nothing not to like about Paris!!!!!!!!!!!

A walk through the Catacombs is unbelievable--

http://www.infiltration.org/drains-catacombs.html

Go to the internet for some more info--something you won't forget.

I have a friend that flys to Paris twice a month as a flight attendant. She always has one day off before returning home and when I asked her several years ago about what to do in Paris, she specifically mentioned the Catacombs. She has traveled all over the world and she considers that to be one of the most unique sites she has seen. Her teenagers travel with her frequently and I will say this, her son enjoyed the Catacombs more than her daughter but everyone has difference tastes in what they want to see.

:) Wow, I am impressed with all the replies I got from all of you .Thank you so much.All your information are really great and helpfull.Now I have a good idea what to do and see in Paris.I will surf the net too and check out all the sites you gave me.I have already checked some hotels sites,lots of them do not take 4 in the same room and like you guys said there are so many it is confusing.We would like one that is Parisian style not American .One more Question :to get to Versailles you can ride a bus or you have to go by train?and where do we take it ?Is there a site for versailles to check their hours and special events?

One more time Thank you so much to all of you and if you remember any other info we really would appreciate it . Staro:)

We took the RER train(pretty sure the C train) to Versailles. We caught the train at one of the subway stops, again pretty sure it was at Invalides on the yellow line and I think the train we looked for was marked VIC. I did get that info out of Rick Steve's Paris book and whatever he told us was right on target. The train tickets 3 years ago were 5E a piece and the station is an easy walk to Versailles. Depending on how much you want to see there, it would be good to look into one of the passes that is offered because you can bypass the long lines. We had the museum pass that allowed us to go straight in and there were tons people waiting in each of various lines for tours. There is another pass that includes train fare than can be purchased in Paris. Rick Steves does a great job of describing how to take the train, how the tours work, etc. Most of this info can be found off of his website. One note of caution, as in other train stations, there can be pickpockets and a lady on our train found herself a victim as we got off the train upon arrival.

Staro,

Here's a link to the Tripadvisor Paris forum that gives a detailed description of how to get to the versailles. I'm addicted to reading the Cruise Critic boards since I love cruising but now that I am planning a trip to Paris I have now become an addict to the Paris forum on Trip advisor. Another group of great people willing to share their experiences.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k534172-Palace_of_vesaiiles-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Just jumping in again--

We stayed in the Marais section and loved it. Took the RER B line from the airport and got off right in front of Notre Dame and was able to walk to hotel.

I asked alot of questions on the tripadvisor Paris forum--if you search mountainmare they may still have my review.

The Rick Steves website says that much of Versailles is closed for renovation. Last year half of the Hall of Mirrors was closed. This was a must see on DH's list but not my favorite sight, it was very easy to get to just take RER C line from the Tower and the last stop is Versailles--follow the crowds to the palace.

You can see from all of our reponses how wonderful Paris is, this is a perfrct thing to do with your girls.

I'm currently planning a trip to Paris in September and have found the tripadvisor paris forum to be very helpful. Here's the link. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187147-i14-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Trying to select a hotel can be overwhelming. After reading alot of reviews we decided to try the Best Western Le Jardin de Cluny. It's in a good location for sightseeing, etc.

We are going to probably just take a Parisien Taxi from the aiport. There will be only just 2 of us and from all my reading it sounds the best.

Enjoy your trip!

We are also from Seattle, and travelling to Paris in September. We are staying at the Holiday-Inn Bastille. We chose it because of its close proximity to the train station, as we will be coming in on the train from Genoa late in the evening. Hope you have a great time in Paris.

We stayed at the Champ de Mars hotel a few years ago. Within walking distance to the Eiffel Tower (4 or 6 blocks if I recall) and just block or so from the subway which we used several times with no problems.

Around the corner was a traffic-less street of wonderful shops. And on the corner itself was a wonderful cafe where we ate most of our meals...a line at lunch is always a good sign. (Good food and reasonable).

If we return I would stay there again. Our room was small (on the ground floor with a window into a little inner courtyard) but it was ample for the 2 of us. I believe they also have some larger rooms which you could check for.

Found it in Fodors.

I took my daughters to Paris two summers ago and they loved it! You must see the Eiffel Tower lit up at night, do the tour of the Opera House, and stroll through Pere Le Chaise Cemetery. Other must dos from their perspective is the walk to Sacre Coeur - the view is great! And have a hot chocolate or cafe au lait and a chocolate croissant at a street cafe and people watch.

Archived