SD Commodore Club Staterooms...you should know.

Capote

Have SD 1 South America trip (our first on SD) on hold for me for a few days. Just found out my assigned room (#210) is a COMMODORE CLUB ROOM. Only after studying the room plan did I realize that this room is actually 1/2 of a bigger room. They add a temporary partition wall to divide it in two. This removable wall is less soundproof than a stationary wall, so I was told when I inquired. Any comments? Not very happy about taking that room but it's all that is left in that price range. ***Everyone should know that the blue-shaded staterooms on the deck plans are these kind of accommodations. Reservations does not offer that information, which I find a little less than forthcoming on their part.

Also, for those who care, no windows open for fresh air (porthole or other stateroom windows). How sad not to have the sea breeze flow through while you sleep. Not real happy about that either, since I'm not a fan of air conditioning unless it absolutely necessary. Any comments on stuffiness of rooms at night?

Another note: Company allows any age child on board. There is no way of knowing if you will have a crying baby next door. Was told there are no facilities (ie: babysitting) for children & parents have to pay full fare for any child, no matter what the age. Even so, management told me they have no idea if there are children booked into that voyage & won't know until past the 90 day refund date. Any comments on that? Thanks everyone.

Have SD 1 South America trip (our first on SD) on hold for me for a few days. Just found out my assigned room (#210) is a COMMODORE CLUB ROOM. Only after studying the room plan did I realize that this room is actually 1/2 of a bigger room. They add a temporary partition wall to divide it in two. This removable wall is less soundproof than a stationary wall, so I was told when I inquired. Any comments? Not very happy about taking that room but it's all that is left in that price range. ***Everyone should know that the blue-shaded staterooms on the deck plans are these kind of accommodations. Reservations does not offer that information, which I find a little less than forthcoming on their part.

Also, for those who care, no windows open for fresh air (porthole or other stateroom windows). How sad not to have the sea breeze flow through while you sleep. Not real happy about that either, since I'm not a fan of air conditioning unless it absolutely necessary. Any comments on stuffiness of rooms at night?

Another note: Company allows any age child on board. There is no way of knowing if you will have a crying baby next door. Was told there are no facilities (ie: babysitting) for children & parents have to pay full fare for any child, no matter what the age. Even so, management told me they have no idea if there are children booked into that voyage & won't know until past the 90 day refund date. Any comments on that? Thanks everyone.

I have been in room 210 - and it was fine. I had the same troubling thought that you did - about the noise, but it was really quiet despite a full yacht. I can't remember if that bed was the type that goes up into the wall during the day when it is a Commodore configuration - but if so, ask the room stewardess for an additional mattress - they did that on one of my cruises and the bed was incredible.

The non opening windows didn't bother me the room wasn't stuffy and - there are plenty of places to chill out and get fresh air- and don't forget, if you want the whole package then make sure you sleep on one of the balanese beds.

I have been on the yacht with kids before - but they are really far and few between. I think since the SA cruises are longer there will be even fewer kids. I really think that people are discouraged from bringing kids along because of the prices.

I am SO looking forward to my South America cruise for Carnival in RIO - I was lucky to snag one of the last staterooms!

Please dont worry, we had the same type of room, not sure if the exact room, but we had half of a commodore cabin on our New Year's voyage...you will be fine, none of the cabins have windows that open, you willl nt miss that, enjoy your cruise...can not believe anyone would take a baby on one of these sa trips...

I have to disagree with you about the deck plans. The SD deck plans are some of the easiest to understand that I have ever seen. SD reservations are also some of the easiest to work woth and most knowledgable in the industry.

I have never had noise be a problem on SD. The usual passenger mix is mostly adults, though not always. I cannot ever hearing anything from another cabin on any of our trips.

Unless SD has had a recent change of heart they have been very happy to provide a passenger mix broken down by the number of children teens and adults. This may have recently changed but it was always available in the past.

As far as windows opening I have never heard of any ship with windows that open. Yes, some of the larger lines have balconies where the doors can open but SD is a yacht and all of the cabins are pretty close to the water line, especially on deck two where the deck itself is at the water line. Open windows on this ship could easily turn into a very wet proposition.

I was in a "half" of a Commodore suite during the Atlantic crossing. If I sat right next to the wall and the couple next door were fighting - I could barely hear them. Even in a room that's not part of a Commodore suite (we were lucky to have to a full Commodore on one cruise) if you sit right next to the wall - you can hear loud conversation. I didn't see any difference in noise levels between the two types of rooms.

We love Deck 2 -- Have been upgraded once to 3 but it didn't really matter to us.

there were no infants on the Atlantic crossing so I tend to agree with the rest of the group. Its very different than traveling at Christmas and Easter holidays. My understanding is that Sea Dream's change in pricing last year (after the Easter "kiddie" cruise) has in fact reducted the number of youths traveling. When we were given the option of moving to Sea Dream I this year after the II cruise we had booked was chartered, there were only 8 teens and pre teens on board - a much more tolerable percentage.

FT

I really appreciate all those who responded to me. We are well-seasoned travelers, but this will only be our second cruise (the first is coming up in June on Windstar's Turkey & Greek Isles trip). Just wanted to be sure I covered all the issues I have so there are no suprises....except good ones. Thanks everyone.

I really appreciate all those who responded to me. We are well-seasoned travelers, but this will only be our second cruise (the first is coming up in June on Windstar's Turkey & Greek Isles trip). Just wanted to be sure I covered all the issues I have so there are no suprises....except good ones. Thanks everyone.

I can't wait to hear your comparison betwen Windstar and SeaDream - it is a whole different animal. I am sure you will have a blast on both! In my opinion, you can't make a mistake on SeaDream.

Archived