Which Naples Excursion should we take

Help. Which tour should we take????

We have been to Venice, Florence, and Rome....but never to Naples.
This is probably our last trip to Italy
We planned to take the RCCL excursion to Capri, Pompeii, and Sorrento. Now we are reading that Capri has become very commercial and that this trip is very rushed. We heard that the trip down the Amalfi coast and going to Pompeii , Sorrento is much nicer.

who has been to both , and can recommend which one to do?

july 1 on the brilliance
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

Although Capri is nice,it does become overcrowded especially in Capri Town or Anacapri. I would go for a full day tour of the Amalfi Coast making sure you stop in Sorrento, Positano,Ravello and Amalfi which will give you a great day out. You could include a visit to Pompei as well.

Yes, that Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri tour is a bit rushed, particularly at the last stop (Capri). I still think its a good tour (for those who like tours) if you have never visited this region. Like Mike, we also love the Amalfi drive, but I have never been a big fan of the cruise ship tours that go to this part of the coast. Most of those tours tend to spend more time driving, than they do letting you actually enjoy some of the gems of the drive (we love Positano). These Amalfi tours seem to be designed for those folks who have problems with walking and want to see scenery through a bus window. If you decide to do the Amalfi drive, I strongly suggest you arrange to hire a private guide/car (you can get good advice on this board). This can also be done on your own by renting a car or using a combination of local buses and hydrofoils. However, I do think the "on your own" is best reserved for very expereienced travelers who have a sense of adventure.

Hank

Hi Hank,
Sounds like your the one I've been looking for [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] We have been trying to decide which tour in Naples to take. We usually opt for outside vendors for tours, but I'm a little apprehensive about it this time. This is our first trip to Europe and I'm trying to set our trips up so that we can make the most of our time. I've read about how bad the traffic is and thinking that maybe for this port we should go through RCCL simply for the fact that they would be responsible for getting us back to the ship on time. Do you think this is a valid fear. Our ideal tour would be to take a hydrofoil to Capri and upon our return hire a driver to drive along the Amalfi coast and stop in Pompeii, just so we can say we've been there. We would love to see Positano and Sorrento as well. We like to keep moving, but at the same time would like the flexibility of staying longer at a specific location if we choose.I know this is not enough time to do it all, but what would your experienced advice be.
(I am not at all interested in veiwing the entire tour from the window of a bus)
Thanks for any advice,
Becky

We took the Capri, Sorrento, Pompei Tour while on the Millennium in August...and I will dissent with others here...

We loved the tour...

First of all, Capri was NOT the last stop...They reversed the order so as to get us to Capri first thing in the morning when it was fairly uncrowded...We went right from the ship to the Hydrofoil for a quick trip to Capri...I wasn't that thrilled with Capri, but my wife absolutely fell in love with the Island...

Then, we to the Hydrofoil from Capri directly to Sorrento, where we had lunch and time for a little shopping...

From there we went to Pompei--which is by far the most spectacular array of ancient ruins on the continent of Europe...the size and grandeur and condition is amazing...If you've never been, you simply must not miss this...And our tourguide led us on a walking tour and he was excellent and informative...

The tour was well organized, didn't feel "rushed" at all...

If there was one thing we could have done without, it was the stop, on the way back to the ship, at a cameo factory...especially since we ran over our 10 hours and we were in early seating dinner...it's the one port where we had to rush to dinner...but, we still made it...And, yes, getting back to the ship after doing so much would have been scary on our own...but we felt safe with the ship's excursion...

My thought is that if you've never been to this region and probably never will again as you state, you don't want to limit yourself and miss something you'll regret later...and this tour is the best way to get the most in (even more than most private guides could squeeze into the timeframe)...

We did this tour (even though we'd both been to Naples before) and we do not regret it in the least...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Hi Becky,
I do understand that we all differ in our desires when in port. But I think your itinerary is too much for one day. You must keep in mind that the hydrofoil to Capri is about 45 min each way (not counting waiting time to catch the boat). Assuming you don't want to go to the Blue Grotto, you still need at least a couple of hours just to get up to Capri town and walk around. You would still not see a good part of the island such as AnaCapri and the chair lift all the way up to the top. I would never recommend an afternoon drive from Naples along the Amalfi drive because its just too far. The Amalfi Drive should be considered a full day trip from Naples if you intend to see any of the wonderful villages such as Positano. Pompeii is also one of those places where you will need a minimum of 2 hours (and this is a minimum) to see the ruins. Sorrento would be the least important on my list, but even that town is worthy of at least a couple of hours to walk around, have a drink, etc. Honestly, I think my fellow Americans fall into a "If this is Tuesday it must be Belgium" trap where they want to see everything in a day. The result is that you really see nothing! My advice is that you look at the options and make some choices. We have been to Naples and Sorrento multiple times, and have still not seen everything. And if you rush to too many places, you will not have time to enjoy an outdoor cafe with a nice lunch, some wine, etc etc. As to your concern about outside vendors, my wife and I tend to avoid all tours and do our "own thing." In this region it could be using hydrofoils, buses, trains, or renting our own car. However, I think you will find many here would tell you that the private guides are a better option than a ships tour. This would be particularly true for doing the Amalfi drive.

Hank

Hank

We took Hanks advise to hire a driver for the Amalfi coast. We took the train to Pompeii, we were there from 8:30-12:00, it was a rush rush visit, wish we could have stayed longer, but just not enough time in that port. The driver met us there and drove us to Amalfi and Revello. Revello has the most wonderful views. There was a rock slide on the road to Positano so we missed that part of the coast, took the high road to Amalfi, which was a great drive as well. We went in April, not much traffic then. Just pick which is most important to you and go with that. You just cant see it all in one day. We took that advise and glad we did.
Thanks Hank for that, too. We will do a whole day of Pompeii next time. You will love it, what ever you choose.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help us decide how best to make the most of our day. I didn't realize that just getting to Capri would take so much time,I also read the water can be rough in the summer [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img], so after reading these posts we have decided to save Capri for a future visit and enjoy the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii this time. Now that we've narrowed it down to that, I'm still not sure which cities to see. We are most likely going with Fabrizio from driverinrome.com. We love photo ops, as well as shopping, sooo the question now is Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello which would you consider the "the not to be missed" stops. We are in port 8am-8pm and will be ready to take in as much as we can without compromising.
Thanks again for all your input, this board is an incedible fountain of information.
Becky
P.S. We will have 3 kids with us, 16-17 & 20, if that makes a difference.

ARGH! Two years ago we rented a car in Sorrento and headed towards Positano. A few miles from the town the road was closed due to a rock slide (or so they say). This seems to be a "too often" ocurrance. Personally, I think you are making a good decision with the Pompeii-Amalfi excusion. You will want to get the earliest possible start as this is a pretty ambitious plan which will keep you very busy. As to the Amalfi towns, we would rank them Positano and Ravello as "don't miss" places. If you have enough time, Amalfi would be the third choice. One major advantage of having a private guide is that they will know the best routes, places to eat, and sites. You will not be disappointed in your day. Just pray for gorgeous weather which improves any day on a trip.

Hank

I like Hank love the Amalfi Coast and agree with Hank that Positano and Ravello are two of the must sees.I particularly like Ravello and especially the fantastic views that can be had from the Villa Rufolo and the Villa Cimbrone.
We used Salvatore of DriveAmalfi
(driveamalfi@hotmail.com)

Mike

Hi everyone, I probably should post this somewhere else, but, in case anyone here can help me.
My husband and I are taking our first trip to Europe (Celebrity Millenium) in June'04, we are taking part in an arranged tour in Naples with Sorrento Limo (Gennaro I believe).
We are considering the following,
Florience on our own,
Santorini, moto rental and on our own,
Athens guided tour (don't know with who yet taking suggestion [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img],
Rome, train from port to Rome and on our own.
in your opinions and experinces, are we bitng off more than we can chew? risking losing out on little known sites?; or is this a realistic plan?

Did I mention it is our first trip to Europe?

steve,
thanks much for your answer.

We did your summit cruisetour last July. Had a marveloous time. If I could answer any questions about that trip for you, just post it.
marilyn

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruin Steve:
We took the Capri, Sorrento, Pompei Tour while on the Millennium in August...and I will dissent with others here...

We loved the tour...

First of all, Capri was NOT the last stop...They reversed the order so as to get us to Capri first thing in the morning when it was fairly uncrowded...We went right from the ship to the Hydrofoil for a quick trip to Capri...I wasn't that thrilled with Capri, but my wife absolutely fell in love with the Island...

Then, we to the Hydrofoil from Capri directly to Sorrento, where we had lunch and time for a little shopping...

From there we went to Pompei--which is by far the most spectacular array of ancient ruins on the continent of Europe...the size and grandeur and condition is amazing...If you've never been, you simply must not miss this...And our tourguide led us on a walking tour and he was excellent and informative...

The tour was well organized, didn't feel "rushed" at all...

If there was one thing we could have done without, it was the stop, on the way back to the ship, at a cameo factory...especially since we ran over our 10 hours and we were in early seating dinner...it's the one port where we had to rush to dinner...but, we still made it...And, yes, getting back to the ship after doing so much would have been scary on our own...but we felt safe with the ship's excursion...

My thought is that if you've never been to this region and probably never will again as you state, you don't want to limit yourself and miss something you'll regret later...and this tour is the best way to get the most in (even more than most private guides could squeeze into the timeframe)...

We did this tour (even though we'd both been to Naples before) and we do not regret it in the least...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

july 1 on the brilliance
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

Steve,
After reading and rereading these posts I am undecided as to which driver to hire for our Amalfi/Pompeii tour. The majority of "posters" were very happy with their drivers and they all charge about the same. We would like someone that has knowlegde of the area and will share it with us, as well as have a fun, good sense of humor.
Any input on personality?
Becky

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;25;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Why does time fly only when you don't want it to?

November 04 Explorer
July 03 Explorer
August 02 Adventurer
July 01 Voyager
Starward NCL 1981

To Carmendmun,
Doing it on your own is a great idea for Florence and Rome by train. The only thing you will have to decide in Rome is if you are tackling the Vatican. If you decide to do this do not go the the Colosseum and the Forum-it will be too much in one day. You will still have time to see quite a bit of Rome. (the Colosseum and Forum are on the other side of Rome from the Vatican. If you do not go to the Vatican (I mean inside St Peters and the Museum) then you will have time for the Colosseum. Your other choices for stops sound fine-you can even do Athens on your own-its a lot of fun (They have a Metro that stops near the entrance to the Parthenon). Good Luck

bec2629 ...Which cruise are you going on. My husband and I are also researching excursions while in Naples... and from your posting seem to want to visit the same destinations. We are looking for a few people to join us. We're on RCCL July 1, 2004.

We'll be behind you on the July 25th trip. I have seen several posts where people are looking for others to join them. I think it was Driverinrome.com that offered to add others to our tour to help defray the cost if we chose. I'm sure the tour companies have small groups that they would match you up with. Have a fabulous time and post when you return?
Becky

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;25;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Why does time fly only when you don't want it to?

November 04 Explorer
July 03 Explorer
August 02 Adventurer
July 01 Voyager
Starward NCL 1981

We will also be on the July 1 cruise and are still deciding whether to go to Capri or do just the Amalfi coast. The private drivers will not do both in one day. Only RCCl and Portside(a tour agency that my Travel Agent has hooked up with)does it. Portside is as expensive as RCCL.

july 1 on the brilliance

How does this sound ...Go to Capri in the early morning on our own ...then take a hydrofoil to Sorrento to pick up a tour of Amalfi Coast stops in Sorrento, Positano, Ravello and Amalfi ... ending the tour at our ship. I would like to get a group together for this excursion so it would be more economical for all ....Does anyone know of any tour companies that might accomodate us ... July 1, 2004 sailing ..Brilliance of the Seas

Is there any way of visiting pompeii without taking the ship's shore excursion or a private driver's tour? Really all we want to see for the limited time we have in Naples is the Ruins of Pompeii and then relax for the rest of the day.

Counting the days til we go.

Happy Sails

Blake of
Blake and Marla
Blamar

Nordic Prince 1982
Rotterdam 1988
Noordam 1995
Imagination 2001
Star Princess 2004

We leave for Venice
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;18;17;55;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

We leave from Venice on the Star Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

My family will also be on the July 1st cruise with RCCl. We decided to do the Capri tour with the ship. Its the only ship excursion we are taking, all other tours are private. Its nice to hear some others are on the same cruise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by msmeltz:
We will also be on the July 1 cruise and are still deciding whether to go to Capri or do just the Amalfi coast. The private drivers will not do both in one day. Only RCCl and Portside(a tour agency that my Travel Agent has hooked up with)does it. Portside is as expensive as RCCL.

july 1 on the brilliance
[url="http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>"]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>[/url]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blamar:
Is there any way of visiting pompeii without taking the ship's shore excursion or a private driver's tour? Really all we want to see for the limited time we have in Naples is the Ruins of Pompeii and then relax for the rest of the day.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen a few posts here that indicate you can take the train to Pompeii. That is what I am planning on doing.

Future cruises
Explorer OTS - Easter Caribbean 11/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Brilliance OTS - Mediteranian 10/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;10;15;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Past cruises
Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03
Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

Let me try to answer a few of the questions. Regarding the post by Carmendmun your plan sounds fine,,, although you should do some pre-trip homework in a good bookstore and make notes on the places of interest in your cities. Personally, we do not like tours and have been traveling independently for over 20 years. However, if you budget allows, you might want to consider the ships' all day Rome tour (or a comparable private tour) that includes the Vatican and Vatican Museums (includes the Sistine Chapel). If you are in Rome on a Sunday, this last is a problem! You should also read some of the other posts about how to get to the Livorno train station (for the train to Florence). When returning to Italian ports via train, make sure you give yourself more than 1 hour leeway on the return in case the train runs late. Athens can also be done on your own, but you would want to pick-up an English speaking guide or tour at the entrance to the Acropolis. The rest of Athens can be done with a guide book and map. There is a subway line that runs from the Port of Pireaus right into Athens (protect your valuables because of gypsy pickpockets on this line).

For MSMeltz, private cars do not do the Amalfi Coast and Capri (in a day) because its not a good idea and they can't drive to Capri (smile). We love the Amalfi drive and its many villages, but this should normally be done as a full day trip with time for a romantic lunch in one of the picturesque towns. Capri is best done as a day trip or coupled with a visit to Pompeii.

For Blamar, yes, you can take the train to Pompeii, and perhaps spend a little time exploring Naples when you return. You can walk the more than 1 mile to the train station in Naples, or take a taxi or bus from the port to the station. You will want to take the Circumvesuviania Line which leaves from the lower level of the station (buy your tickets and get info upstairs). Get off at the Pompeii Scavi station (not Pompeii) and you will be very close to the entrance. As has been recently posted, a good bargain is to rent the self guided audio tour as opposed to the expensive private guides.

Hank

Archived