Favorite Foods on Zenith

63galaxie

I'm sure this has been done before, but I remember looking for a comprehensive thread before we left where people listed their favorite, not to be missed food. ;)

Here's ours:

Breakfast

Waffles-homemade, fresh berries, whipped cream-Windsurf Cafe

Sausages (the kids' all yelled this answer in unison when I asked)

Donuts (not every day) The chocolate are a dark chocolate flavor

Bagels-the softest I've ever eaten (get them from the sandwich bar)

Chocolate crossaints-Deep rich chocolate

Lunch

Breaded veal-Windsurf Lunch Buffet one day only

Shrimp salad-on the buffet, just delicous and fresh

Pasta-Homemade, fresh, made-to-order, 3 great sauces clam, tomato, cheese and lots of other options including garlic, oils, etc. To die for at the Windsurf Pasta Bar:o

Pizza is incredible-made to order in a brick oven with any toppings-my kids ate so much of it and they are still begging for it!

Dinner

We ate all of our dinners at the Caravelle

Prime Rib-I'm not a lover of prime rib but this was like no other I've had, excellent, tender, not fatty, thin, savory sauce

Caesar salad-Even the kids asked for it every night.

Breads-The rolls and breadsticks were devoured by our crew, every night!

Rack of Lamb-Tender, well cooked, flavorful

Lobster-the sweetest I've ever had. The staff said it was Carribean lobster (if this is true, we need to have them imported)!

Soups-Cream of Brocolli, French Onion, try the fruit soups-some of us loved them, others hated them but they were fun to try!

Appetizers-Grilled pineapple (sounds wierd but it was good)

Any of the fruit appetizers were excellent.

Desserts - So much to choose from but these were the best for us

Cherries Jubilee-not something I would normally like but we all tasted it and longed for more

Ice Cream-Again, not something I would normally choose but it's soft and creamy and rich. I'm a chocoholic but I thought the vanilla was the best!

Coffee-I may be the only one but we didn't like the coffee, even at Cova. It was too dark, thick, bitter for our tastes.:p

Alcohol

Manhattan-We're not big drinkers but my husband said it was the best Manhattan he's ever had at dinner.:rolleyes:

Melon Margarita-I had this specially made at the Poolside bar. Delicious!:D

We enjoyed the waffles for breakfast

Salads in the buffet for lunch (salad bar by the drink table)

all the meats for dinner.

The worst was the eggs benedict. They were the worst I have ever had, in fact we didn't like breakfast in the dining room period.

We enjoyed the waffles for breakfast

Salads in the buffet for lunch (salad bar by the drink table)

all the meats for dinner.

The worst was the eggs benedict. They were the worst I have ever had, in fact we didn't like breakfast in the dining room period.

I ordered the eggs benedict for breakfast too. They WERE awful! We ate from the buffet from then on too.

I'm sure this has been done before, but I remember looking for a comprehensive thread before we left where people listed their favorite, not to be missed food. ;)

Here's ours:

Breakfast

Waffles-homemade, fresh berries, whipped cream-Windsurf Cafe

Sausages (the kids' all yelled this answer in unison when I asked)

Donuts (not every day) The chocolate are a dark chocolate flavor

Bagels-the softest I've ever eaten (get them from the sandwich bar)

Chocolate crossaints-Deep rich chocolate

Lunch

Breaded veal-Windsurf Lunch Buffet one day only

Shrimp salad-on the buffet, just delicous and fresh

Pasta-Homemade, fresh, made-to-order, 3 great sauces clam, tomato, cheese and lots of other options including garlic, oils, etc. To die for at the Windsurf Pasta Bar:o

Pizza is incredible-made to order in a brick oven with any toppings-my kids ate so much of it and they are still begging for it!

Dinner

We ate all of our dinners at the Caravelle

Prime Rib-I'm not a lover of prime rib but this was like no other I've had, excellent, tender, not fatty, thin, savory sauce

Caesar salad-Even the kids asked for it every night.

Breads-The rolls and breadsticks were devoured by our crew, every night!

Rack of Lamb-Tender, well cooked, flavorful

Lobster-the sweetest I've ever had. The staff said it was Carribean lobster (if this is true, we need to have them imported)!

Soups-Cream of Brocolli, French Onion, try the fruit soups-some of us loved them, others hated them but they were fun to try!

Appetizers-Grilled pineapple (sounds wierd but it was good)

Any of the fruit appetizers were excellent.

Desserts - So much to choose from but these were the best for us

Cherries Jubilee-not something I would normally like but we all tasted it and longed for more

Ice Cream-Again, not something I would normally choose but it's soft and creamy and rich. I'm a chocoholic but I thought the vanilla was the best!

Coffee-I may be the only one but we didn't like the coffee, even at Cova. It was too dark, thick, bitter for our tastes.:p

Alcohol

Manhattan-We're not big drinkers but my husband said it was the best Manhattan he's ever had at dinner.:rolleyes:

Melon Margarita-I had this specially made at the Poolside bar. Delicious!:D

Glad to see your enthusiasm for the food on your cruise and most respectfully, taste is 100% a matter of opinion(now here comes the "but") BUT...

If you think those so called bagels are great,you've never had a real New York style Jewish Bagel. It can be argued that they are not even really bagels ,just round rolls with a whole in the middle since they are not placed in boiling water before baking.

Secondly ,I know Kentucky is not on the coast,but there is no comparison to the fresh Maine,live lobster as opposed to the frozen Caribbean on the cruise.I have tried them on numerous occasions and they are hit and miss-the best often show up in the speacialty restaurants in the Millenium class.Where I might add,you'll find one of the finest Celebrity dishes--the Goat cheese souffle appetizer.

The Best Breakfast Items

Smoked salmon, made to order omelets, and sticky buns. Hint: big Belgian waffles with several toppings are only available in The Grill at the rear of Deck 11.

The Best Appetizer

Escargot and Potato Gnocchi were incredible. The pates were also quite good. All appetizers were well presented.

The Best Soups

All of the cream soups.

The Best Lunch Items

Do yourself a favor and locate the sandwich bar in the back of the Windsurf Café as soon as possible. The chef will make you a delicious sandwich to order with a wide selection of meats, spreads, cheeses and awesome homemade breads and rolls. Hint: if you’re in the mood for a hamburger but, like us, hate white bread hamburger buns, grab one of the delicious rolls from the sandwich bar instead.

The Best Dinner Entrées

All of the Lamb and Veal dishes, all of the steak offerings (Prime Rib, Tenderloins), Quail, and many of the fish offerings at dinner. (Skip the fish at lunch). Hint: Rely on your Waiter for dinner suggestions. If you listen carefully, he’ll steer you toward the better entrees.

The Best Desserts

Fresh made ice creams, crème Brule, cherries jubilee, and the Baked Alaska on parade. Kudos to the chef. This was simply the best Baked Alaska we have ever had! The vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice creams were encased in a thin crispy pastry shell and topped with a nice meringue which was not too sweet.

Sushi Bar

Beautifully prepared (very fresh and chilled) sushi was available most nights from 6:00pm to 10:00pm on one side of the Windsurfer Café which they decorated with a Japanese restaurant theme. It is a winner. It’s also a great place to try out sushi if you have never experienced it before. I would suggest starting out with a California Roll (rice with crab, avocado, and cucumber), then working your way up to the sashimi selections (Salmon, Ahi, Tilapia, among others). Skip the eel unless you are adventurous. For a real kick, spread a little of the green horseradish pate (wasabi) on your sushi. Use too much and it’ll clear out your sinuses —– and give your eating partners a really good laugh.

(Above is an excerpt from our detailed review of Zenith to Bermuda: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html)

Glad to see your enthusiasm for the food on your cruise and most respectfully, taste is 100% a matter of opinion(now here comes the "but") BUT...

If you think those so called bagels are great,you've never had a real New York style Jewish Bagel. It can be argued that they are not even really bagels ,just round rolls with a whole in the middle since they are not placed in boiling water before baking.

Secondly ,I know Kentucky is not on the coast,but there is no comparison to the fresh Maine,live lobster as opposed to the frozen Caribbean on the cruise.I have tried them on numerous occasions and they are hit and miss-the best often show up in the speacialty restaurants in the Millenium class.Where I might add,you'll find one of the finest Celebrity dishes--the Goat cheese souffle appetizer.

You're absolutely right! I've only had Red Lobster lobster. Blah! And I'm dying to try a New York style Bagel. Maybe I can arrange our next cruise flight through N.Y. so I can get one! Who sells the best? Thanks for the advice. I love goat cheese. I can only dream about the souffle!:D K in K

You're absolutely right! I've only had Red Lobster lobster. Blah! And I'm dying to try a New York style Bagel. Maybe I can arrange our next cruise flight through N.Y. so I can get one! Who sells the best? Thanks for the advice. I love goat cheese. I can only dream about the souffle!:D K in K

Most any deli in the city will have authentic bagels and there are bagel specialty shops all over. Just avoid the chains like Dunkin' Doughnuts and Au Bon Pain---horrible impostors.If you ever get there "Little Italy" has some incredible pastry shops.Not that the Cova Cafe on X is not spectacular.

Kathy, wow, what a list:D You know I don't remember the

grilled pinapple on the menu. I have had it before (not on a cruise)

but will definitely look for it in 2 weeks;)

As for the bagels, DrFun is correct....a really good bagel is made

a certain way...certain dough....water, etc....but if you have never

had a "real one" you wouldn't know what you had was any different.

I love that list:) and I definitely agree with the pasta station.

They also sell sandwiches there. I had a croissant ...oh, it

was wonderful. Had turkey and roast beef on it......YUMMY

I happen to agree with you on both the Lobster and the bagels, but for so many of us we do not have the option of good Lobster or bagels. For those who haven't tasted the REAL thing what the ship serves is good. Of course the bagels, well they are no different than any frozen ones you get at home. LOL

The Best Breakfast Items

Smoked salmon, made to order omelets, and sticky buns. Hint: big Belgian waffles with several toppings are only available in The Grill at the rear of Deck 11.

The Best Appetizer

Escargot and Potato Gnocchi were incredible. The pates were also quite good. All appetizers were well presented.

The Best Soups

All of the cream soups.

The Best Lunch Items

Do yourself a favor and locate the sandwich bar in the back of the Windsurf Café as soon as possible. The chef will make you a delicious sandwich to order with a wide selection of meats, spreads, cheeses and awesome homemade breads and rolls. Hint: if you’re in the mood for a hamburger but, like us, hate white bread hamburger buns, grab one of the delicious rolls from the sandwich bar instead.

The Best Dinner Entrées

All of the Lamb and Veal dishes, all of the steak offerings (Prime Rib, Tenderloins), Quail, and many of the fish offerings at dinner. (Skip the fish at lunch). Hint: Rely on your Waiter for dinner suggestions. If you listen carefully, he’ll steer you toward the better entrees.

The Best Desserts

Fresh made ice creams, crème Brule, cherries jubilee, and the Baked Alaska on parade. Kudos to the chef. This was simply the best Baked Alaska we have ever had! The vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice creams were encased in a thin crispy pastry shell and topped with a nice meringue which was not too sweet.

Sushi Bar

Beautifully prepared (very fresh and chilled) sushi was available most nights from 6:00pm to 10:00pm on one side of the Windsurfer Café which they decorated with a Japanese restaurant theme. It is a winner. It’s also a great place to try out sushi if you have never experienced it before. I would suggest starting out with a California Roll (rice with crab, avocado, and cucumber), then working your way up to the sashimi selections (Salmon, Ahi, Tilapia, among others). Skip the eel unless you are adventurous. For a real kick, spread a little of the green horseradish pate (wasabi) on your sushi. Use too much and it’ll clear out your sinuses —– and give your eating partners a really good laugh.

(Above is an excerpt from our detailed review of Zenith to Bermuda: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html)

Boy this sure shows how subjective food can be: I don't know where you have had escargot before or if was just the 5 days we were on the Zenith, but not only myself, serveral on our tour the next day mentioned the escargot was the worst they had ever had. It never ceases to amaze me how different peoples taste buds are. NMNita

No question tastes are subjective, but if that many folks mentioned how bad it was, it appears you got a bad batch. The escargot has been superb on every Celebrity ship we've been on (Galaxy, Horizon, and most recently Zenith). It's an appetizer we look forward to. (Last time I had 2).

They have 2 different escargot appetizers. One is a half dozen snails in a special serving dish with butter and garlic (maybe wine and spices too). It is the better of the two. The other is served in a puff pastry.

Archived