Royal Dining! Hits and Misses

Being new to RCI I would love to know everyones favorite foods on board.

What should we not miss? How do we tactfully ask for more than one dessert and can we get steak/chicken if nothing strikes our fancy on the entree list?

****Liz******

Hi, Liz. There is an "alternate" section of the menu with a steak, chicken and fish choice every night. No need to be tactful about ordering a second dessert, just ask! We just had a lovely spinach dip with freshly fried tortilla chips on the Vision. That was really tasty. My DH always likes the fish selections. I have had some excellent prime rib, I like the end cuts and they are tender and juicy.

From the buffet I love the Waldorf salad when fresh and the coconut cookies, too. The Honey Stung chicken is really good. I like the grits with hot steamed milk and natural sugar for breakfast...oh, dear...now I am starving!

Being new to RCI I would love to know everyones favorite foods on board.

What should we not miss? How do we tactfully ask for more than one dessert and can we get steak/chicken if nothing strikes our fancy on the entree list?

****Liz******

We had a picky one in our group who did not care for anything on the menu, even the alternative selections. He asked for something totaly different and to my surprise they brought it out. The alt. menu has steak and chicken on it and some other stuff I think. I never ordered off it. All of the seafood was very good. I ordered two appetizers every night just to sample them. Order as much as you like. I did not really have a favorite food and so many of them were so good.

Not to miss items-- onion tart appetizer, spinach dip, escargot, mushroom puff pastry, lobster bisque, any of the chilled fruit soups, herb crusted cod, any of the fish dishes, the best steak by far is the one on the alternative menu-- the angus sirloin-- do not order the NY Strip on the regular menu at any cost!! Warm chocolate cake and key lime pie are also not to be missed.

In no particular order:

scallop risotto

filet mignon on formal night

escargot

pumpkin apple soup (really!)

penne w/salmon in vodka sauce

turkey w/trimmings (DH love that, I've never had it 'cuz it's the same night as the penne)

sugar free chocolate cake

I can guarantee you won't have to find a "tactful" way to ask for 2 desserts. I remember on our first cruise, my husband said to our waiter that he was trying to decide between the 2 desserts, the waiter says "I'll bring both!" and goes running off to get it. :D

Gotta love a man who brings lots of sweets to the table. The joys of cruising! :)

Not to miss items-- onion tart appetizer, spinach dip, escargot, mushroom puff pastry, lobster bisque, any of the chilled fruit soups, herb crusted cod, any of the fish dishes, the best steak by far is the one on the alternative menu-- the angus sirloin-- do not order the NY Strip on the regular menu at any cost!! Warm chocolate cake and key lime pie are also not to be missed.

Spot on advice. You are so right about the NY strip. The "filet" was more like roast beef. My daughter did like her prime rib. The Lobster we had last week was the best I have had on a cruise and all the fish was excellent.

ALL the bakery items we tried were great on the Legend.

FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!

I even got the recipe from Alexis on this board and made it for holiday dinners.

The most, absolute, fantabulous, superlicious dessert EVER!!

On the Brilliance, however, you could only get it in Chops, I think.

It's made with tons of dark chocolate, sugar, cream, coffee, and rum. Amazing stuff.

The lobster has been good on our past 3 cruises-- waiter brought plate after plate of extras for the tables. Filet is good, but it's sliced rather than whole. Prime rib was also good but is on the same night as another favorite of mine which I can't remember. I will say I usually stay away from the turkey as in the past it was the pressed, rolled turkey with both dark and white meat rolled together-- gross-- however 2 weeks ago on the Grandeur they actually had real, sliced turkey and it looked great. Ask the waiter if it's real turkey before you order

The one night I didn't order dessert....because I ate to Much escargot and other yummy foods till I was stuffed the waiter felt so bad when he brought my DH's dessert he brought me a plate all decorated that had "nothing" written in chocolate.....too funny!!

They are used to people wanting to try everything!

I'd also have to vote for the flourless chocolate cake.

I always order the chilled fruit soup peach, apple, watermelon, pear :) yummy!

Also, as posted previously watch what you say around the servers you might wind up with one of everything.:D

I ordered 2 desserts EVERY night on my 10 day on Jewel.... no wonder I gained 10 pounds LOL! Also my husband ate (no kidding) 8 lobster tails!!!! I also found the garlic tiger shrimp to be really good. Oh and the crepes they make fresh while you wait in the dining room for breakfast! YUM!

I have not tried the onion tart but I have heard such raves about it on this board i will try it this time!!!

~Jen

going Platinum!! Adventure May 7

Cruisin40: The promenade cafe is not a buffet, they have pizza, little sandwiches, cookies etc. and in the morning danish & muffins. It is a nice place to stop for a quick fix! The Windjammer (Buffet) is open for bkfast, lunch and dinner. The food in the Windjammer on all the ships that we have been on has been very good, but on the Grandeur was the best...

Don't forget there is Johnny Rockets also for a 3.95 surcharge plus drinks.

Later, Jill:cool:

The roasted garlic soup is my favorite in the dining room; also, the aforementioned onion tart is excellent! In the Windjammer at lunch, I love to get angelhair pasta, cover it liberally with alfredo sauce, black pepper and then load the whole thing with freshly grated parmesan - exceptional! Also not to be missed, the onion rings at the Seaview Cafe. I usually love the soups at lunch in the Windjammer also. Can't wait to be eating all this again in less than 3 weeks!:D

I wasnt too overly fond of food either of my cruises, but there were some good things that stood out.

HITS:

1) Oatmeal Raisin cookies. (freshest I have ever tasted)

2) Roasted chicken in salad bar (so tender!!)

3) Vidalia Onion Tart appetizer

4) Penne pasta w/vodka sauce

5) All breads were good, especially banana bread

6) Roasted turkey

7) French Onion soup

8) Pasta station in Windjammer at dinner

9) Egg station in Windjammer at breakfast

10) Hot dogs in Solarium on Legend (very tasty yet gave us indigestion big time!)

MISSES:

1) Chicken Marsala (odd flavor, not appealing)

2) Salmon (too dry!!)

3) Angus Steak (too fatty and tough!)

4) Eggplant Parm. Tower (overcooked both cruises I have taken)

5) lunch meats at buffet (bi-colored processed and disgusting -beware!!)

6) lunch buffet hamburgers (very dry)

Archived