Disabled Cabins

JLC@SD

Do cruise lines require proof of a disability before booking passengers into these cabins......or do they only take the word / statement of the passenger.

PS......"handicapped" is no longer PC......they are disabled.

I would check with your Travel Agent or the cruise line if you booked directly with the cruise line. If you booked at a non cruise line website (without a Travel Agent), I would check with the cruiseline.

I think most cruise lines now require a statement from a doctor. With the limited number of disabled cabins available and to insure they truly go to those in need, I think they require documentation. It is widely known that disabled cabins are larger than a non-disabled in the same category to accommodate wheelchairs and scooters.

You are required to notify the cruise line of any special medical conditions. There is additional paperwork you must complete prior to your cruise.

I hope this helps.

Cathy

If you want to be PC, they are cabins for people with mobility disabilities, or wheelchair accessible cabins. If the cabins were disabled, no one would want to stay in them!

Some cruise lines require a letter, but it is a joke as it is widely known that people falsify these letters, just as many people falsify documentation of their need for a handicapped parking placard, or find a physician who will sign anything for a price.

My partner is in a chair. When we booked a Celebrity cruise this past December, a letter from the doctor was required. Celebrity is owned by RCCL and one special needs desk services both lines. Our TA told us the letter requirement was new (later confirmed when I spoke directly with special needs desk). Apparently they have taken the handicap cabins out of regular inventory and they must be booked/released from the special needs desk. RCCL says if there is not a letter on file, then it is possible the passenger could loose their handicap cabin.

In 2004 on Princess we did not need a letter. We have booked another Princess cruise for the fall. I forwarded the letter to Princess just to cover all the bases. I want to reduce the possibility of having any "issues".

If you want to be PC, they are cabins for people with mobility disabilities, or wheelchair accessible cabins. If the cabins were disabled, no one would want to stay in them!

Some cruise lines require a letter, but it is a joke as it is widely known that people falsify these letters, just as many people falsify documentation of their need for a handicapped parking placard, or find a physician who will sign anything for a price.

Correct, disabled cabins would be a problem, Star Princess has 100 or so of them now.

I posted this not because I am disabled, I am not, but because I have seen the same thing you have, abuse of parking spaces. I was curious, because, if the cruise lines do not verify, then abuse will occur, and cause the truly disabled problems getting bookings.

Splinter has it right. These are cabins for people who use wheelchairs or have serious mobility problems. I'm disabled but not eligible for these cabins because I am deaf and I don't need the special shower etc. Actually I kind of like the word "handicapped" because it's accurate - we have major obstacles to overcome just to stay even with everyone else.

I have to disagree with some of the earlier posters regarding "proof" of disability. Carnival and HAL has always requested thst we fill out a form regarding my husband's wheelchair and any other special needs. Princess did not. RCCL used to, but did not request any proof on our two most recent trips (note: the last was 11/05).

Archived