Smart Casual?

Hi All,

I don't want to start yet another dress code debate but I have a question about Smart Casual.

I've read in a few posts that it doesn't seem to exist on board any more. Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

I know the website and the brochure mention Casual, Smart Casual and Formal but people who have been on board recently seem to suggest that the dress code from the Compass is either casual or formal. I'm not looking for comments based on how people interpret the dress code - we all know that's a bit vague to say the least!! But i want to know what the codes have been based on the Compass - I like to know the rules!:)

We are going Transatlantic on Voyager for 13 nights and I'm trying to figure out how many of each nights clothing we'll need.

Thanks

Ellie

xx

I don't know what the compass says, but to me, smart casual is simply a bit more "put together" look, while still casual. That's not so hard to do--most things you would wear out to dinner or a club or show would be considered "smart casual", right?

I don't know what the compass says, but to me, smart casual is simply a bit more "put together" look, while still casual. That's not so hard to do--most things you would wear out to dinner or a club or show would be considered "smart casual", right?

For the men, smart casual means packing a sports jacket.

2 formals and 2 smart casual nights on 13 nighters. I think that is what ours had the last time we went on the longer one. And as some have said it is a bit more put together and men have a sports coat on those nights.

On ur 7 night E. Caribbean cruise in Nov. of 2004 there was not a smart casual night. On our 12 night Brilliance Med cruise in 2005 there was one or two smart casual nights (can't recall how many).

To be safe, I'd pack a sport coat, a suit or a dress shirt with a nice tie. Supposedly smart casual should be a coat and tie but I've seen many men only wear a dress shirt and tie or a dress shirt and no tie at all.

Hi All,

We are going Transatlantic on Voyager for 13 nights and I'm trying to figure out how many of each nights clothing we'll need.

Thanks

Ellie

xx

Someone on here just posted the compass for the Navigator and they do not have "Smart Casual" on that ship anymore. I also read and was told by someone who sailed her recently that the Mariner does not have them.

It seems they are doing away with the "Smart Casual" on a lot of the ships according to people postings.

Someone is bound to read this and let you know in time for packing. ;)

Someone on here just posted the compass for the Navigator and they do not have "Smart Casual" on that ship anymore. I also read and was told by someone who sailed her recently that the Mariner does not have them.

It seems they are doing away with the "Smart Casual" on a lot of the ships according to people postings.

Someone is bound to read this and let you know in time for packing. ;)

Thanks Alexis - this is exactly the sort of information I'm looking for. :)

I know what's appropriate to wear for the different dress codes but I massively overpacked last time so don't want to take too much if we don't need it. A lot of people don't seem to see a difference between casual and smart casual, so that may be why they are doing away with it. Shame really, I like that side of cruising.

Anyone done a longer itinerary recently who can confirm the disappearance of Smart Casual?

Last year on the Grandeur, the Compass had two nights that were Smart Casual, but the description was the same as casual. (And most people were Casual) Personally I like the Formal nights, but wish they would do away with the smart casual.

I just received my cruise docs for our April 15 cruise on the Voyager. The RCI booklet indicates

3-5 night cruises - One formal night, two or three casual nights

6-9 night - Two formal, One smart casual, all other nights are casual

10-12 night - Two formal nights, three smart casual, all others are casual

13-15 night - Three formal nights, four smart casual, all others are casual

Hope this helps.

I just received my cruise docs for our April 15 cruise on the Voyager. The RCI booklet indicates

Hope this helps.

That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks!

Hope this helps.

You can't always go by what is in the docs or on the website. The last two cruises I took on the Rhapsody had the same thing in the docs. Once on the ship however there were 2 formal nights and the rest casual as stated in the ship's Compass.

If you want to know RCI's definition, copy and paste the link below. You'll probably stmble accross some othe rules, as well.

Okay, first of all, no body is asking for a definition. Everyone seems to know what it is. The OP's question is, what is happening on board the ship, not what is happening in print. Everyone seems to know what the offical policy is. The OP wants to know what is actually happening on board the ship.

Second, how come you did not paste the dress code into your post? You have done it on may occasions in the past.

Okay, first of all, no body is asking for a definition. Everyone seems to know what it is. The OP's question is, what is happening on board the ship, not what is happening in print. Everyone seems to know what the offical policy is. The OP wants to know what is actually happening on board the ship.

EXACTLY!!! I know the policy and I know exactly what to wear, I just want to know what's happening on the ship! I'm grateful to those who've explained what has happened on the ship on recent cruises. Thanks everyone! :)

I just don't want to pack jackets for my DH that he won't need or a whole heap of dresses and shoes that I don't need. I'm the queen of overpacking and trying to assign an outfit a day instead of my usual selection!

Thanks

Ellie

EXACTLY!!! I know the policy and I know exactly what to wear, I just want to know what's happening on the ship! I'm grateful to those who've explained what has happened on the ship on recent cruises. Thanks everyone! :)

I just don't want to pack jackets for my DH that he won't need or a whole heap of dresses and shoes that I don't need. I'm the queen of overpacking and trying to assign an outfit a day instead of my usual selection!

Thanks

Ellie

If you know what RCI's policy is, then there really is no reason for your initial post, is there?

If you know what RCI's policy is, then there really is no reason for your initial post, is there?

Well I think there was a reason for my post. I don't post often as I can usually find everything I need by searching and reading other people's questions and answers. If I didn't think there was a reason to post, I wouldn't have asked the question! I didn't ask for the policy, I asked what was currently happening on ships based on recent cruisers experiences.

What I know is that officially, there are three standards of dress but people who have cruised recently have said that, according to cruise compasses on the ship, only 2 dress codes have been used.

I simply wanted confirmation that this was the case and wanted to know if this was all ships and all cruise lengths.

I think this was pretty clear from most people's helpful responses.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ellie - I recognize your names from the roll call, and we'll be with you on the Voyager transatlantic. I, too, have been puzzled by the inconsistency between what the website says (2 formal), the documents say (3 formal plus 4 smart casual), and what actually tends to happen these days. What did you decide to pack for Iain? I think I've settled on a tux for the 2 (or 3!) formals, and my normal "out to dinner" attire for smart casual, which here in Phoenix is nice slacks and a dressy shirt, possibly with a tie, but no jacket. That sportcoat just takes up too much space, and we've got a few days in Europe afterwards and I just don't want to be Jockeying around a lot of luggage!

Explorer of the Seas, 2-9 April, Eastern route. We did NOT have any smart casual nights. 2 formal nights, remainder were casual. However, the dress code listed on the Portofinos reservation was Smart Casual.

Just ignore the people who don't get what you're asking. Too many people around seem to enjoy being an a$$.

We just returned from a seven night cruise on the Rhapsody and there were two formal nights and no smart casual nights. However, on an eleven night cruise in February on the Brilliance there were two smart casual nights and two formal nights.

We cruise four or five times a year and our observations are that smart casual has disappeared from the seven night cruises but is still alive on the longer cruises. Perhaps, that is to avoid having three plus formal nights on 10 to 14 day cruises.

On the Brilliance most men followed the suggested dress code and wore jackets on smart casual nights.

Archived