Ship switch: Need opinions

heyitsmejudy

Just got the letter that we have been boat switched: Were on the Fantasy, now on the Sensation.

Since folks who had the opposite fortune seem thrilled to be off Sensation and on Fantasy, I'm in a panic.

Would appreciate info on Sensation... and not just the crap that's on the reviews. I want the low-down, the skinny, if you will... we're on a Christmas cruise. I have time to change all the plans if we're going to be disappointed.

Relax, by the time you are on your Christmas cruise, this will all be a distant memory.

Fantasy and Sensation are the same class of ship, everything is the same but the decor and the names. The Sensation is newer; by the time your cruise comes up you will be getting the better part of the deal. IMHO

It has been a few years since we have been on the Sensation; however, we would cruise on both the Fantasy and the Sensation again. Carnival does a very good job at cleaning up these ships and I think you will have a wonderful time on either ship.

I'm one of those "lucky" cruisers switched from the Sensation to the Fantasy but our cruise is May 8th and it would have meant we would miss Grand Turk, the port we booked this cruise for. My main suggestion would be "don't panic". I think even by the time May 8th comes around all the "bugs" will be worked out and the Sensation will be better than ever. I am actually a little disappointed that we're not going on Sensation again, but this is balanced by the fact that we WILL get to Grand Turk.

I agree with Big Duck. The Sensation is probably a better ship. You can check out the member reviews on the cruise critc website, just don't pay attention to the current reviews, those problems are temporary and will be ironed out by your cruise. The Sensation has had consistantly good reviews, the Fantasy can not say the same.

Thanks for the info, folks. Thanks, too, for the couple smart-a**ed remarks. There's one in every crowd.

This cruise is a Christmas/40thAnniversary gift for my parents... we're all going on a Christmas cruise and I'd like, ahem, smooth sailing. My mom and dad and brothers have never been on a cruise and I wouldn't want to set out on something that was going to be awful if I can help it.

I cannot imagine that the issues that have recently been reported about Sensation will still exist at Christmas, except for maybe the propulsion system.

Will that cause you any concern? It should not. What it will mean is that instead of cruising at say 20 knots and going in circles in the ocean to kill time, you will travel at 10 or 12 knots and make fewer circles in the ocean. I really doubt that you will even notice the difference.

Have a great cruise!

I must disagree with some, I love carnival and well sail her again and again however we were on the sensation in 02. 5 days out of Tampa Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Awsome itenerary. we are pretty easy to satisfy but this boat was overly grungy and dirty. we had a great time but will not sail the sensation again. She has only had a "soft" refurbishment which means the rooms were painted and the new bedding and such. I can't help but think that after all of those Katrina vics were on ther it is only worse. we cancelled our 4day Fantasy when she was swithced to the sensation. good luck:(

I must disagree with some, I love carnival and well sail her again and again however we were on the sensation in 02. 5 days out of Tampa Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Awsome itenerary. we are pretty easy to satisfy but this boat was overly grungy and dirty. we had a great time but will not sail the sensation again. She has only had a "soft" refurbishment which means the rooms were painted and the new bedding and such. I can't help but think that after all of those Katrina vics were on ther it is only worse. we cancelled our 4day Fantasy when she was swithced to the sensation. good luck:(

I suspect that the Sensation has been cleaned since 2002. Also, those Katrina vics, as you so eloquently put it, were police and firemen that were working more hours that you or I would ever want to in a lifetime. Time to stop beating this dead horse.

Mark T

I can't wait until Carnival gets rid of all its dumpy old ships: Fantasy, Paradise, Sensation, Holiday, Elation, Celebration, Fascination, Ecstacy, Imagination, Inspiration.

I have no desire to ever sail on one of those dirty old things. No balconies, Old, Small Ships, Old and did I mention Old?

Just my opinion, I know others will disagree and I am glad you enjoy these ships, just something I never want to experience.

Sorry, weren't the "hurricane victims" the same people who trashed the convention center and the Superdome in just a week? As a hurricane victim myself, if I had wanted to relive the glory days of the past year of wretched weather that trashed the entire Gulf Coast, I would have booked on the Sensation or the Holiday in the first place. Sorry that some of us are a little upset about the change. Personally, I could care less about which boat it is and where it goes, but I do care about the cleanliness of the cruise ship I paid to go on! Here's hoping it's not as grungy as I am envisioning...

We sailed on the Sensation Thanksgiving 2004 and she was neat as a pin. It was just a 4 day, which we don't usually do. They thought of it as just a long weekend getaway. We had a wonderful time. I don't recall any problems with cleaniness.

In fact the only 4 days I can remember us doing was on the Sensation and the Fantasy. The Fantasy was back in 2003. We had a great time then as well.

I can't wait until Carnival gets rid of all its dumpy old ships: Fantasy, Paradise, Sensation, Holiday, Elation, Celebration, Fascination, Ecstacy, Imagination, Inspiration.

I have no desire to ever sail on one of those dirty old things. No balconies, Old, Small Ships, Old and did I mention Old?

Just my opinion, I know others will disagree and I am glad you enjoy these ships, just something I never want to experience.

You really need to think about this comment. NONE of those ships are small. THey are just a smaller version of huge. Small are the luxury lines that hold 100 - 400 passengers. Nothing Carnival has comes close, and by the way, most of the luxury lines sail ships that are all older than anything Carnival has, so age has nothing to do with anything. (Oh yes the QE2 is about 40 years old and still one of the most luxurious liners afloat.)

Sorry, weren't the "hurricane victims" the same people who trashed the convention center and the Superdome in just a week?

As has been stated numerous, numerous times - now pay attention:

The Sensation housed Police, Fire Fighters and EMS personnel. :rolleyes:

Sorry, weren't the "hurricane victims" the same people who trashed the convention center and the Superdome in just a week? As a hurricane victim myself, if I had wanted to relive the glory days of the past year of wretched weather that trashed the entire Gulf Coast, I would have booked on the Sensation or the Holiday in the first place. Sorry that some of us are a little upset about the change. Personally, I could care less about which boat it is and where it goes, but I do care about the cleanliness of the cruise ship I paid to go on! Here's hoping it's not as grungy as I am envisioning...

I normally don't comment, I just read all the great information, but I was saddened :( and outraged :mad: that another "hurricane victim" would make such a comment, "trashed . . . in a week". Does your home remain "spotless" when there are more than the normal number living there? Unless you were one of the thousands of unfortunate survivors that had to survive in those inhumane conditions, your comment really wasn't fair.

Archived