SDII 2/18/07 - Lots of children?

ORDPLATAA

My partner and I are debating between two trips for next year: Seabourn Legend on April 1 and SeaDream II on February 18th. We received a great rate on the Seabourn crossing and air is not bad - just afraid of 8 sea days and a "formal" environment.

The Feb 18th SDII sailing looks awesome - a different island everyday, all of the water activities, and warm weather for these Chicago guys! The thing that is in the back of mind mind is will this be a big family vacation week (a la Spring Break/Easter)? Based on some of the stories we have read on these boards, that could put a huge damper on this trip for us.

Has anyone sailed during President's Day Week before that can give us a better idea of the passenger mix?

Please read the review posted of our New Year's sailing

You can not have more children then we had on that voyage and it was not a problem at all

There has been recorded on these boards one miserable trip from easter time very well documented by Jim and the rest of the folks on that cruise.

WE did two SD trips last year and had a handful of kids in the summer in Italy that never bothered us at all and a trip with about 30+ under 25 year olds and we actually enjoyed watching them have fun at New Years in St Barts.

There were still plenty of adults for us to meet and none of our activities were curtailed due to almost a third of the ship being less than half our age, with 10+ under 12 year olds

That's what I wanted to hear!!!

It's so funny to read one bad review and get "sucked in" as it were. I had visions of the pool on the Zuiderdam with uncontrolled kids and no parents in site - not what I would want to deal with after spending $6,000 on a vacation!

No reason to expect many kids on that cruise, it is not a prime school holiday period. You can always check with SD. They have in the past been willing to disclose the numbers of youngsters on board.

The spa/pool and the water sports platform are where the kids collect on board.

One of the great features of SD are the balinese sunbeds which are on top of the ship and provide exceptional views over the rail to wherever you are, very private, very quiet and the perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon baking that Chicago winter out of your system.

They have single and double beds and umbrellas available for us sun sensitive types and full bar and food service...If that doesn't work off stress I dont know what can....

Pool overrun with children....never happened to us but if it did...

One of the great features of SD are the balinese sunbeds which are on top of the ship and provide exceptional views over the rail to wherever you are, very private, very quiet and the perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon baking that Chicago winter out of your system.

They have single and double beds and umbrellas available for us sun sensitive types and full bar and food service...If that doesn't work off stress I dont know what can....

Please dont get me wrong, Jim's experience was horrible and I believe very accurate, but as bad as that was he is taking another sd trip right now, that is how good this line is

The other thing is every cruise has a lfe of its own...on our Italy trip last year we had some passengers who remained aboard from the previous week's sailing...they had two radically different experiences, the first week was reported rowdy with partying on top deck into the night, our week was much more sedate and relaxed with people retiring after dinner...one of the best parts of cruising is, you just never know...

ORD:

Just got back from the March 26th St. Thomas to St. Thomas trip. I think most would agree that this is the height of spring vacation. There were two (2) children on the cruise ..who were exceedingly well behaved. No issues here. If I recall correctly, the "problem" cruise was a result of a special pricing SD offered that they have pledged not to repeat. That being said, this had to be one of the "younger" cruises I've ever been on. I have to believe that the group was mostly 30s & 40s....

We've been on Seabourn twice...which tends to be older and more formal....while you haven't given your age, I would factor that in.

I think there are plenty of people here who've been on both lines, so ask about anything that concerns you and I suspect you'll end up with the "right" choice (like deciding between Seabourn and Seadream could give you a bad choice!)

Thanks JDC - I appreciate the feedback. I have a feeling that SeaDream would be more our speed. I have to remember that it isn't all about "the price" but rather the experience. I guess the internet age has really gotten us into this "what's the best deal" mentality.

Archived