Norwalk Virus on the 3/26 Victory

toledo

Wow, that's pretty funny, you calling me a cranky child hater. I guess you must one of them. You must be one of the parents who have yet to teach their children manners, because I can see you don't have any either. Underage children should not be getting alcohol from their parents, especially when they can't handle it and act like complete jack asses. I guess you also find it acceptable to almost knock over an 80 year old couple without any regard to what they did?! Great job you've done!!

Wow, that's pretty funny, you calling me a cranky child hater. I guess you must one of them. You must be one of the parents who have yet to teach their children manners, because I can see you don't have any either. Underage children should not be getting alcohol from their parents, especially when they can't handle it and act like complete jack asses. I guess you also find it acceptable to almost knock over an 80 year old couple without any regard to what they did?! Great job you've done!!

NO I just don't believe anything you said. I believe you made it all up.

Hey all Im on victory 4/9 . Does anyone know how long it takes to clear the ship from the viris ? Im nervous enough as it is our first cruise in all .:)

Usually lasts two to three cruises. I would expect the current cruise to be worse than the previous as it sounds like it was just getting started. Yours could either be at the peak or on the way down just depends on how successful they are at getting it stopped. I wouldn't worry about it it's one of the most commons viruses and is everywhere just not cruise ships. People usually exagerate the effects of it as well

I too was on this cruise and as far as I know, NO ONE was notified that this was going around. Legally aren't they suppossed to inform the guests? We had a good time, but as far as the cruise itself goes, it was not good at all. To all the parents out there of 15-20 something's, can you PLEASE tell your children it is not polite to be pushing people around, not saying excuse me when knocking them out of their way, and to not just take people's towels, using them, and returning them to a chair that was not theirs, or walking all over people's things. I can't believe where people's manners have gone. This was a very disappointing cruise and we will probably not be returning. Thank you

AS for notifying the passengers, I think it has to be a percentage affected before it is considered serious: someone claiming 200 passengers and having it true are 2 different things. I wasn't on the ship, I do not know. Yes, it would be nice if they had the hand sanitizers at the entrances to everything: NCL has them everywhere, but you know people should care enough about themselves and others to wash their hands frequently. Now, it sounds like you just plain didn't have a great cruise. March and kids together equal spring break and sring breaks equals lots of families cruising. Add to that well behaved kids can get out of hand when there are lots of chances. I know what you mean about the kids, but I have little sympathy for you. I tell all my clients, if you do not want to be over run with the small ones, you need to cruise the seasons they are in school. Next time think about the very end of April and first few weeks in May: great prices and few kids. NMNita

Usually lasts two to three cruises. I would expect the current cruise to be worse than the previous as it sounds like it was just getting started. Yours could either be at the peak or on the way down just depends on how successful they are at getting it stopped. I wouldn't worry about it it's one of the most commons viruses and is everywhere just not cruise ships. People usually exagerate the effects of it as well

Where are you getting your information from? Norwalk Virus is spread from people not cruise ships. It passes quickly from person to person on cruise ships because of the close quarters.

From the CC Home Page from the CDC;

"It wasn't the ships that were sick; it was the folks who came onboard and passed the illness around. Norovirus is, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one of the most contagious gastrointestinal illnesses in the world."

Please before you scare anyone check your facts.

Hey all Im on victory 4/9 . Does anyone know how long it takes to clear the ship from the viris ? Im nervous enough as it is our first cruise in all .:)

In January, 2005, the Mariner had an outbreak (276 pax and 27 crew members) that was televised on national news. I was kind of scared too thinking I would get sick and being the next cruise out. Either way, we were on the very next cruise and I only heard of a couple people getting sick which could have been anything. They had made an announcement to all the pax's about the previous sailing and that they have sanitized the ship etc. So I don't think you will need to worry as long as you wash your hands.

Where are you getting your information from? Norwalk Virus is spread from people not cruise ships. It passes quickly from person to person on cruise ships because of the close quarters.

From the CC Home Page from the CDC;

"It wasn't the ships that were sick; it was the folks who came onboard and passed the illness around. Norovirus is, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one of the most contagious gastrointestinal illnesses in the world."

Please before you scare anyone check your facts.

You miss understood what I was trying to say. Of course people spread and people leave it behind and the crew spreads it but it definately has a start out peak and die down phase on a ship. This has been seen in nearly every bout.

I am still thinking that if two hundred people were quarantined....why the heck were the lines still so long and still no available deck chairs?! :rolleyes: To get a couple hundred people quarantined should have alleviated it a little....(I am not doubting that people got sick, it's inevitable in a span of three thousand people, there will be some people that get sick.)

(We were on the cruise, didn't hear of any talk of it...The only people that we knew that threw up, did so because of too much 'adult beverage consumption'.)

You miss understood what I was trying to say. Of course people spread and people leave it behind and the crew spreads it but it definately has a start out peak and die down phase on a ship. This has been seen in nearly every bout.

No, from your post:

"Usually lasts two to three cruises. I would expect the current cruise to be worse than the previous as it sounds like it was just getting started. Yours could either be at the peak or on the way down just depends on how successful they are at getting it stopped.:"

The Norwalk Virus doesn't last two to three cruises. In all of 2005 there were only 2 cruise ships that had back to back Norwalk outbreaks and no cruise ships had it three weeks.

More commonly, there were no outbreaks after the original.

We recently had a family reunion in the mountains. Too many of us to count in one huge cabin. By the end of the 5 days we were there a "bug" (Norwalk or other) had run its course on about 1/2 of us. The kids of course seemed more prone to it than the adults. Its a good reminder though that the small bottles of antibacterial would be a good idea. In reality this would be something to use after you get out of the buffet line too. Doesn't do much good to clean your hands just to touch the utensils from someone that didn't!

One more thing to add to the packing list I guess...!

Did Smokey the Bear come and tell you it was going around? How come the Forest Service didn't do more to stop it?

The Mercury (according to the Celebrity board) was still dealing with it 3 weeks after the first outbreak. From what I read, I don't know which was worse ... the illness (which is bad enough) or the cure (a floating bucket of bleach).

It is to bad that there isn't a "fog" that they can set off on a ship to kill the mess like you do insect critters in your home.

The Mercury (according to the Celebrity board) was still dealing with it 3 weeks after the first outbreak. From what I read, I don't know which was worse ... the illness (which is bad enough) or the cure (a floating bucket of bleach).

It is to bad that there isn't a "fog" that they can set off on a ship to kill the mess like you do insect critters in your home.

LHP, according to the CDC, the Mercury recorded normal levels on April 3rd which was halfway through the second cruise after the original outbreak (these were 11 & 12 day cruises instead of seven day which may have skewed the actual times).

From the CDCs website:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2006/update_march16mercury.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2006/update_march27mercury.htm

LHP, according to the CDC, the Mercury recorded normal levels on April 3rd which was halfway through the second cruise after the original outbreak (these were 11 & 12 day cruises instead of seven day which may have skewed the actual times).

From the CDCs website:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2006/update_march16mercury.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2006/update_march27mercury.htm

That makes sense. All I know is there are some "mad" folks on that board and flamers for those who are mad about all the bleach. Some folks, I believe, were posting "live". They were talking about bleach dripping off the walls etc, getting all over their clothing, fumes etc. The more they complained, the more the board flamed. They make us look like Sunday School teachers over here!!

That makes sense. All I know is there are some "mad" folks on that board and flamers for those who are mad about all the bleach. Some folks, I believe, were posting "live". They were talking about bleach dripping off the walls etc, getting all over their clothing, fumes etc. The more they complained, the more the board flamed. They make us look like Sunday School teachers over here!!

I was afraid I wasn't making sense so thank you!

The Norwalk Virus is an intestinal flulike illness. It pretty much has to run its course. Cruiselines are getting a bad rep. over it...anywhere that you have many people, in confinement...dorms, nursing homes, hospitals...etc...schools...there is an increased risk of catching something. The best thing you can do to help prevent from getting it, is to wash your hands frequently...I never wash my hands in the bathrooms...I always use alcohol based hand sanitizer (probably from my years of being in nursing when I would wash, in the hottest water I could stand and using the alcohol based sanitizers.)

I didn't think the ship had to notify all the passengers if someone onboard has the illness....what would you have done differently had you known? If you are using good handwashing techniques...you are usually fine. Many people get ill because they get worn down, with the flying, staying up late and getting up early...all this including changes in routines, etc. can lower ones tolerance to fighting things off.

Don't flame me...I am just trying to bring forth a little knowledge as to why some people get it and some don't.

I believe that the ship has to notify CDC when it reaches a certain percentage of people. And then they have to take preventative measures - steam cleaning, closing buffets, etc - which would include notifying guest that it is present and what they can do to prevent the spread.

You said you never wash your hands in the bathroom and use alcohol based sanitizer:confused: . Really? I am not a nurse like you, but that doesn't seem very clean. Maybe that was a typo. I always thought that you wash your hands and then put on hand sanitizer. I thought I read somewhere that sanitizer alone does not clean the hands.

The hand sanitizers are just as effective as hand washing. It is less drying also. I used them (sanitizers) between patients frequently. Of course if there is visible "yuck" on ones hands then a good washing is in order.

I have to agree with the other posters. Viruses happen everywhere not just on cruiselines. It's a confined space with a bunch of people. Like airplanes "cooties" everywhere. So use the papertowel when opening the bathroom door cuz you never know who DIDN'T wash their hands after "doing their business":eek: :eek: . Now that's gross.

As far as those unruly 15-20 year olds. Shame on them. But what about the unruly adults? :eek: :eek: . You know each cruise is going to have their share of those also.

I believe that the ship has to notify CDC when it reaches a certain percentage of people. And then they have to take preventative measures - steam cleaning, closing buffets, etc - which would include notifying guest that it is present and what they can do to prevent the spread.

You are probably right. We were notified as passengers after an outbreak from a previous cruise when we cruised after the Mariner had an outbreak in January, 2005, They announced it about what had happened on the previous cruise, and stated to the pax's of the cleaning that they did and had an action plan in place to keep our cruise sanitary free. The video rolled on the TV about washing your hands frequently, and they had set up sanitizing stations everywhere. I was thrilled to see it all in action and made me feel good personally. The cruise line was top notch in cleaning the ship, and it was the pax's responsibility to keep up with proper hygiene.

NO I just don't believe anything you said. I believe you made it all up.

You're saying she made it up even though there are two other people in this thread from the same cruise that saw the same thing?

Only the CDC (Center for Disease Control) in Atlanta can declare an outbreak of Norwalk Virus and that only happens after everyone is off the ship.

How well did your favorite cruise ship score on the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program?

http://www2a.cdc.gov/nceh/VSPIRS/VSPResult.asp

Why would they wait until everyone is off the ship?

You're saying she made it up even though there are two other people in this thread from the same cruise that saw the same thing?
Two other people doesn't exactly mean that it's gospel. I was ON this particular sailing and heard and saw nothing that was described...and that too doesn't mean it didn't happen. I can find you about nine other adults and their kids/extended family that they sailed with, that were also on this sailing and they too didn't have any issues...But that is the just our experience. Thank goodness. Cuz it would suck to be sick on a vacation of any sort.

We were on the Pride last week. I did not hear a whole lot of complaining about the teens. I didn't stay up as late as they did but it seems that the young drinking adults were a bit more unruley.

On viruses, while I didn't hear any issues about stomach problems, I know that I and one other passenger came down with a mild sore throat headache flue - unrelated, possibly but who knows. Just like any office place setting.....

Why would they wait until everyone is off the ship?

Because I don't think the ship notifies the CDC until certain criteria are met (one being over 3% of passengers or crew are infected) and that the CDC can say for certain it is the Norwalk Virus. That doesn't usually happen until after the cruise is over.

Archived