Will someone explain "sushi" to me?

LadeeBug100

After reading how everyone missed sushi on the Mercury or will miss it on a future cruise if it does not return, will someone please give me a "sushi for dummies" lesson?

I have been on cruises where it has been served and have seen it in the grocery store. We even saw a sushi "train" while in Australia. However, I am not quite sure what is in it?

I do know some is raw seafood(not appealing to me), and there is some that is not. How do I tell the difference?

ask for the 'California Roll.' During the 1970s, a smart unknown California chef, realizing that many Americans did not like the thought of eating raw fish, created the now famous California Roll, made with crab, avocado, and cucumbers. Since then, American sushi chefs have created many variations with unique names such as Spider Roll, Philadelphia Roll, and Rainbow roll.

Hi Ladeebug. Sushi is a classic Japanese culinary treat that is about as varied as you can imagine. Usually composed of uncooked ( sounds better than raw) fish with a specially prepared vinegared rice, it can also be made with cooked shrimp, crab, or sometimes even vegetarian with avocado, cucumbers, radishes and that sort of thing.

It is usually eaten with soy-sauce which has had wasabe dissolved in it: you want to watch the wasabe as it will blast the top of your head off if you over-do it......hot, but wonderful.

Most people start with the cooked (un-raw) types and then progress to the more adventuresome. I can promise you this, the second bite of a fresh tuna-maki is very easy, even if the first one isn't.

Sushi is delicious, and basically healthy if you use the light, reduced sodium soy-sauce. One of the nice things on the Celebrity ships is not only is the sushi very well done, it is all-you-can eat......yummy!

Hope that is of some help to you, I'm certain that someone more knowledgeable will supply more specifics.

Try it, it really is worth the gamble.

Here are my tips:

I personally don't like the cali-roll, I prefer fish, so try that, but if you don't like it, don't give up on sushi. Great starter sushi includes: Philly Roll (raw fish, but with cream cheese in it, so it tastes familiar and not so fishy), Spicy Tuna Roll (the spice sometimes dulls down the fish flavor), and Salmon Nigri (just salmon over rice, to me it tastes very tame). Also, you can sometimes find sushi places that use smoked salmon in sushi, a good way to get used to it without eating raw fish! :)

If people were aware of the health risks associated with eating sushi I doubt it would be as popular as it is these days. You'll never catch me eating uncooked anything.

Even though there can be health risks....it's like anything else. Make sure the establishment you dine in carries a high grade of sushi fish. I love Sashimi...essentially raw tuna. But it's high grade red tuna. You definately taste the difference if it's not.

Karyn

As my Mercury cruise was my first time for sushi also, I can give you a helpful bit of advice. The green stuff is NOT guacamole! Jeeze O'Pete..... That's some different kind of HOT!:eek:

Gotta Love that sinus-clearing feeling you get with a good scoop of wasabi!! For newbies - it's like taking a spoonful of horseradish. Not spicy hot, but sinus clearing hot!

kewguy - the whole raw-fish thing to me is just like all the other " now it's bad for you" type of food. These days, everything is bad for you, but if you enjoy eating it - what the heck. The Japanese have been eating it for centuries and have always had amazing statistics when it comes to longevitiy. :rolleyes:

Sushi can fish (raw or cooked), shrimp (cooked) and (cooked) egg over a shaped rice portion. Sashimi is similar but carb-free. The easiest way to tell if the sushi has been cooked is to ask or look for fried pieces. IMO, most of the rolls are made with cooked fish, shrimp or (fake) crab. Try those first. The presentation is great, they usually have yummy sauces and have a variety of textures and tastes in every bite. Maybe you can ask a waiter which one is best for beginners. Hope this helps!

Great place to watch the sun set as you relax before dinner.

And if you want just get the fish.

This past cruise on the Galaxy we sometimes just asked for the fish - not rolled or riced.

Used the soy sauce and the green - ouch - and red sauces.

The presentations are beautiful.

Artful knife work - each night a different display.

Little dragons - fish jumping. Nice people - servers.

What more could you ask for at the price......

Does Celebrity (specifically the Mercury) have eel? I don't typically eat sushi since I don't like most everything that's in it -- raw or cooked; however, I did try some cooked eel once and loved it.

Actually, I'm not really sure if I actually liked the eel or I just had so much wasabi on there I couldn't taste it, but I'm willing to try again. :D

Does Celebrity (specifically the Mercury) have eel? I don't typically eat sushi since I don't like most everything that's in it -- raw or cooked; however, I did try some cooked eel once and loved it.

Actually, I'm not really sure if I actually liked the eel or I just had so much wasabi on there I couldn't taste it, but I'm willing to try again. :D

I've had eel in every Celebrity sushi cafe I've been in.

Ladybug --

Since you are asking for "education": Sushi it typically a slice of uncooked fish layed over a "finger" of rice...whereas what the typical american thinks of sushi is a sushi ROLL (similar ingredients rolled in seaweed and sliced).

Here is a fun site: http://www.international-gourmet.net/sushi/

If you are leery of the uncooked sushi...definitely try Negiri (barbecued eel). IT's sweet/salty and very tasty. It's cooked and very mild in fishiness.

Also, enjoy a piece of pickled ginger between different sushis to cleanse your palette.

If you get REALLY adventurous, try Uni...uncooked sea anemonie...it looks gross but tastes like the sea with some creamy sweetness. Heaven.

Enjoy!

DARRENCANTWAIT

Thanks for the website, it is very informative.

Eel, pickled ginger?? I really have be adventurous!!

Thank goodness Celebrity has the sushi bar, or whatever it is called, that way I will not feel so bad about trying a few, maybe I can get my husband to try it first!!

Does Celebrity label their sushi?

After reading how everyone missed sushi on the Mercury or will miss it on a future cruise if it does not return, will someone please give me a "sushi for dummies" lesson?

I have been on cruises where it has been served and have seen it in the grocery store. We even saw a sushi "train" while in Australia. However, I am not quite sure what is in it?

I do know some is raw seafood(not appealing to me), and there is some that is not. How do I tell the difference?

Hey LadeeBug,

I will do this according to definition.

"Sushi"...a dish containing rice( prepared with sushi vinegar...the rice that is). All "Sushi" is done with rice. Rolled within or placed on.

"Sushi" seafood can be raw...marinated...or cooked...

On the other hand we have ...

"Sashimi"...which is always served raw. In a bowl or over rice.

I'll take it all.:D It is a woderful way to sit and watch a master do his work. You sit usually at a "Sushi" bar (not the drinking type...although the "Sake" is great) and meet other folks while eating. Food is served at a not to fast pace so you may relax and enjoy yourself.:)

If you like smoked salmon or gravlox (like bagels and lox with cream cheese) give it a try.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I've never sailed on X before. Is the sushi bar included as a dining option, or does it cost extra?

And they are open 5-9? Darn, it looks like I'll be eating two dinners!

It's free and I though hours are 6-10. We usually ate dinner at 6:15, than almost at 10 PM went to the sushi bar (which is at the end of the regular buffet) and took some to our cabin. No problem with overeting, just hit the gym every day and don't use elevators.

Quote from LadeeBug 100:

Hi Ladee,

I can tell you how sushi began and by whom.

Did you know that the global business plan for "Sushi" was devised

by Rev.Sun My-ung Moon,a self proclaimed messiah and founder of

the controversial-- Unification Church.

According to a Chicago Tribune special report (Sushi and Rev.Moon) in

the April 12, 2006 issue, which states: In 1980, five young men,

who were Moon's followers, arrived in Chicago to open a little fish shop.

One of the five was Takeshi Yashiro. Today he serves as a top executive

"...that supplies much of the raw fish Americans eat."

It goes on to report that "...Moon and his followers created an enterprise that

Today reaps millions of dollars by dominating one of America's trendiest

indulgencies: sushi," and it continues "...today there are 7,000 dining

restaurants nationwide that Moon's company--True World Foods--supplies.

Rev.Moon calls himself " ' king of the seas.' " The profits help fund his

church's activities. Just an interesting titbit of information you can mention

while you nibble on your sushi.

One of the nice things on the Celebrity ships is not only is the sushi very well done, it is all-you-can eat......yummy!

Never thought I would ever see the word sushi and well done in the same sentence.:D

Quote from LadeeBug 100:

Hi Ladee,

I can tell you how sushi began and by whom.

Did you know that the global business plan for "Sushi" was devised

by Rev.Sun My-ung Moon,a self proclaimed messiah and founder of

the controversial-- Unification Church.

According to a Chicago Tribune special report (Sushi and Rev.Moon) in

the April 12, 2006 issue, which states: In 1980, five young men,

who were Moon's followers, arrived in Chicago to open a little fish shop.

One of the five was Takeshi Yashiro. Today he serves as a top executive

"...that supplies much of the raw fish Americans eat."

It goes on to report that "...Moon and his followers created an enterprise that

Today reaps millions of dollars by dominating one of America's trendiest

indulgencies: sushi," and it continues "...today there are 7,000 dining

restaurants nationwide that Moon's company--True World Foods--supplies.

Rev.Moon calls himself " ' king of the seas.' " The profits help fund his

church's activities. Just an interesting titbit of information you can mention

while you nibble on your sushi.

Please, do me a favor.

Tell me where I can retrieve this news article from The Chicago Tribune. I want to find the name of this reporter so I can find out what kind of fish he is "smoking". :D

I was eating "Sushi" in the late "60's". Maybe the reporter is younger than myself.

Hi Jessemon,

Sushi began in Japan a century ago and before that its origins

came from countries of Southeastern Asia. However, the article points out

how Rev.Moon and his company supplies the raw fish for sushi and

dominates the American market today.Sorry, if I didn't make it clear

for you. You can read it on http://www.ChicagoTribune.com

Archived