need another sandal strap hole.....

jennylane

how's this for a silly question....

after getting all of my shoes and clothes together and deciding i had more than enough shoes to take, and even then tossing in one more pair, i did a very bad thing today....wandered into DSW shoe wearhouse!! i dont know if you guys have them around you, but they've got shoes for miles, and i just couldnt help myself, i bought the cutest pair of brown steve madden sandles with a huge high cork wedge heel. they're surprisingly comfortable too because they've got a platform on the front of the shoe too.

anyway, i digress. i need the ankle strap to be a teeny tiny bit snugger. actually its fine right now but i'm worried that once i wear them and they stretch a bit, then i'll need them to be snugger. do i dare do it myself with a nice big needle or something? or is that just asking for trouble. if i take it somewhere, is it going to be really really expensive?

thanks!!

how's this for a silly question....

after getting all of my shoes and clothes together and deciding i had more than enough shoes to take, and even then tossing in one more pair, i did a very bad thing today....wandered into DSW shoe wearhouse!! i dont know if you guys have them around you, but they've got shoes for miles, and i just couldnt help myself, i bought the cutest pair of brown steve madden sandles with a huge high cork wedge heel. they're surprisingly comfortable too because they've got a platform on the front of the shoe too.

anyway, i digress. i need the ankle strap to be a teeny tiny bit snugger. actually its fine right now but i'm worried that once i wear them and they stretch a bit, then i'll need them to be snugger. do i dare do it myself with a nice big needle or something? or is that just asking for trouble. if i take it somewhere, is it going to be really really expensive?

thanks!!

I can't go to DSW very often because I bring home so many shoes!

I've punched holes in my own shoes (and belts) on occaision and it is no big deal.

Just be careful and don't make the whole too big or you chance the strap breaking in two.

Mark the leather where you need the hole then take the shoe off and punch.

If you are still nervous, take the marked shoe to a shoe repair and have them do this.

It will be less than $5.

you guys are fast with the replies!! very impressive!

oh boy, if its going to be that inexpensive i'll just take them in. it would be my luck that i'd wreck them and then it would be MY fault and i wouldnt be able to return them. that would stink. i was thinking it would be a lot more expensive. i guess if they werent brand new i might try it myself, but since it was kind of an unnecessary purchase, i'd hate to wreck them before i even wore them!!

btw, i love dsw. i love not having a shoe salesperson go back and forth to get what i want, a few at a time. i like being able to wander up and down the aisles for as long as i want.

Oh, this would be tough to mess up, I would think. Mark a little spot a similar distance as all of the other holes, and use a thumb tack or finishing nail (on a wooden cutting board) and punch a hole.

Really, it's no big deal. Save your $$ for a drink on this ship while wearing your new shoes. :)

Tracy

ps....ADORABLE puppy! :)

I always have to have additional holes put in the straps of my shoes. The shoe store has a hole punch and they do it right there for me.

However, sometimes the strap stretches out after wearings and I'm too lazy to go back to the store so I bring them to my shoemaker and he usually doesn't charge me - probably because I'm a regular customer. But if I weren't, I can't imagine him charging more than a dollar or two, even here in pricey NYC.

Jane

Whether or not you could do it yourself without damaging the shoe depends on how wide and how thick the strap is.

For the price of a cocktail, I'd rather a professional do it. Would probably take him/her a fraction of a second.

T

I have a shoe repair place near me that uses their little shoe-hole-punch-thing-a-ma-bob, takes 2 minutes. Costs me $2 (or $1 per shoe).

You may look in your area and see if you can have this done at a shoe repair place. Hate to damage your shoes before you wear them!

Oh..and cute shoes!

~e

goodie, i'm glad everyone thinks i should take them in, and i'm EXTRA glad to hear that they're going to be inexpensive. i pictured spending half of what i paid for the shoes themselves! with my luck i would tear the strap AND puncture my hand in the process!!

I LOVE DSW!! They have wonderful prices in their discount racks and the best part is my son works there and gets a 30% discount!! When he started there, he got a discount card for himself and also one for his family. Last time I went, my dd, dm and I bought 10 pairs of shoes for $76!! I got one pair of flipflops for something like $1.50!!!

My son has always liked shoes and somehow I always knew (and hoped):rolleyes: that he'd work in a shoe store!

i found a shoe repair shop not too far away and took the sandals in. he used his clever punching tool and quickly put the new holes in the straps. when i tried to pay him he waved me away and insisted there was no charge. i actually felt kind of bad, its not like i was a regular customer of his or something! anyway, it looks great, you'd never even know that the extra holes werent there to begin with!

i found a shoe repair shop not too far away and took the sandals in. he used his clever punching tool and quickly put the new holes in the straps. when i tried to pay him he waved me away and insisted there was no charge. i actually felt kind of bad, its not like i was a regular customer of his or something! anyway, it looks great, you'd never even know that the extra holes werent there to begin with!

So glad you were able to get it done....and for free!

~e

I figured that would happen, but didn't want to say it. It took him 30 seconds, no biggie.

Don't feel bad. He's a smart businessman. He's figuring that the next time you have a shoe repair that costs money, you'll take it to him.

Glad you got it taken care of.

Jane

Archived