New crusier leaving on Grandeur April 17th

The Grandeur is our favorite ship! It is small enough where you get to know everyone on it! We were on the Navigator last year and some of the owrkers from Grandeur were also on the Navigator. They remembered my husband and I and we talked together every chance we got. It has been 3 years (hard to believe) since I have been on her but I will always love the Grandeur. If you have any specific question I too would love to answer them. The dining room is 2 levels and is gorgeous. Our favorite place on the ship was the schooner bar. When we were on it we had 1 25 year old captain who was fabulous! We could not get into Costa Maya so he worked it out so we could go to Progreso. Not all captains (IMO) work so hard to get you to another port. Another place to watch the seas is the Viking Crown Lounge. Get a nice window seat bring your drink up and watch the seas during the day. What is your cabin category and where are you located at in the ship? Have a great cruise and don't forget to hold onto your first cruise memories. They are the first and nothing is ever better than the first! Each cruise after this will be enjoyable and fun but the first is always the best and you picked a good ship to have your first cruise on! Enjoy!

I guess I'm just wondering what to expect? We have two girls, 13 and 14, going with us. Hopefully, they'll meet some friends there. What are the best activities you found to participate in? We are in one of the large interior rooms on deck 8. Hopefully the seas will be calm for us! We don't want to miss anything os any ideas as to the best things to do and best places on the ship to hang out or soak up some sun would be great! Also, where is the best place to be when the boat leaves the port? I heard you don't want to miss it! How about the ports? We only booked one excursion in costa maya right now. We were going to kind of wing it in Cozumel. Any suggestions or tips on what to do thee? Thanks!

Just off the Grandeur last week, third sailing on her, and I agree with many of Cam6959’s comments. Especially, your first cruise will always be your most memorable. As far as sail away, I’d go all the way forward either center or starboard (right side of ship facing forward). You don’t have the same fantastic views as Miami or Ft. Lauderdale when leaving Tampa, but watching the captain maneuver through those buoys/channel markers is interesting - it looks as though he only has inches to spare. Also, going under the Sunshine Bridge apparently is a site to see. We were at dinner and it was dark and missed this. But apparently there is little clearance on this also. Our girls (12 & 14), pretty much stuck together and did not participate in the Youth Program. They swam a lot during the day and went to the shows with us at night. As far as Adult events, don’t miss Quest or Love & Marriage game. In Cozumel, I’d recommend Paradise Beach. We were there a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. Good food, friendly service, and water toys for a nominal fee. You can also rent “bigger” toys next door. Have fun.

We'll be on the cuise with you on the 17th. This is our 3rd cruise, our 10 year old son loves the youth program. Last cruise we couldn't separate him from his new friends. I agree the shooner bar is one of the best places on the ship. My fav is sitting by the pool, cold beer in hand enjoying the rays. I reccommend Playa Mia beach club in cozumel. If you visit the shore trips web site you can get info. Looking foward to seeing you and your family. Only 10 days left...................I can't wait!

Another one cruising on the Grandeur April 17/06.

This will be our first time on the Grandeur but not our first cruise. Our DD (10) will also be with us and is anxious to find out what the kids program will offer this time around.

I have an excursion booked in Cozumel even though we had a hard time deciding which beach to go to. Not sure what to do in Costa Maya.

Kime1375 perhaps you might like to share info about your excursion that is booked in Costa Maya.

Will be boarding the ship the day after my birthday. We desperately need a vacation. I am counting down in the single digits now (8 days) as we are spending two nights pre cruise in Tampa.

Safe flights/driving for anybody else sailing with us.

Blueice...we are taking the dune buggy excursion in Costa Maya. It sounds like alot of fun and the four of us will ride together. It's funny you mention your birthday...mine is the 13th right before the cruise too! Happy birthday to you! Maybe we can get together and have a birthday drink together sometime! We are spending the night before in Tampa, too at the Wyndham resort (about 3 minutes from the pier). We are driving in from Ohio. The airline tickets for the week of Easter were OUTRAGEOUS! They were almost as much as the whole cruise. The drive will be fun though...nothing like a road trip!

Thanks to everyone so far for all the good info! I'm at work as I write this...obviously I can't concentrate on that! I'm already in vacation mode!

Kim - As far as Cozumel excursions go it all depends on how adventurous you are if you are very adventurous there is Hideaway beach excursion. you drive a two man boat to a private beach area and they have a buffett set out for you. No one else on the beach except your group. You can explore up and down the beach area and I have a picture of my husband holding a star fish that was there while we were. : ) After you get to the beach very relaxing but getting to the beach is a little exciting at times! If not very adventurous then definately Paradis Beach!

As far as things to do on the ship definately the shows and Karioke(sp?) your two daughters will enjoy. It sounds like there are plenty of people on this site that will be with. Do you guys have a roll call going? Check out the roll call site and talk to anyone on that site! Wealth of information and will get a chance to meet people. Have fun! Cruise On!:D

We did Grandeur in Feb. Your kids will love Adventure Ocean, they do a pirate parade, it was so cute. Don't miss Battle of the Sexes, Quest, or Love & Marriage game. The pool band, Men of Culture, are absolutely awsome. In Costa Maya we did the Chaccoben Mayan Ruin tour with David and Ivan. It was great, more info than our small brains could handle. The view from the Cat's Meow in Majahaul was beautiful. Its hard to find the taxi service to get out of the fake "port" of Costa Maya, pay attention to the layout map you'll get before you dock. On Grandeur we had Capt Haaken, he was very uptight and made the crew uptight (I hope you don't have him). That said, Mate and Balazs (Bally) in the dining room were wonderful. Pool waiter, Godfrey, the best. I have all the Cruise compasses, but I have a new scanner/printer so I'm not sure how to scan them to post them, I can try. My email address is karenpluger@hotmail.com, email if you want me to try and scan the compasses.

Blueice...we are taking the dune buggy excursion in Costa Maya. It sounds like alot of fun and the four of us will ride together. It's funny you mention your birthday...mine is the 13th right before the cruise too! Happy birthday to you! Maybe we can get together and have a birthday drink together sometime! We are spending the night before in Tampa, too at the Wyndham resort (about 3 minutes from the pier). We are driving in from Ohio. The airline tickets for the week of Easter were OUTRAGEOUS! They were almost as much as the whole cruise. The drive will be fun though...nothing like a road trip!

Happy Birthday to you as well. I am sure we will not be alone celebrating.

I am going to go to the Roll call section to see if there is a thread for Grandeur April 17/06. Come join in the conversation over there.

I have a feeling we will have more than one birthday drink.

We are staying at the Residence Inn (East Tyler Blvd) and I understand it is close to the pier as well.

See you in the roll call section........

We will be cruising with you also! We have an 11 year old son and a 10 year old daughter who can't wait to get back to the kids club. We sailed the Soverign last summer and they loved it. My husband will celebrate his bithday on board Tuesday.

We will be on Grandeur also on the 17th also. This is our first time on the Grandeur, but 2nd cruise this year. My DD (13) and DS (16) loved the kids programs. We hardly saw them on our sea day. They were busy seeing how many people you could stuff in a bathroom (more then I would want to:D ) My kids are still exchanging letters and e-mails with the new friends they made on the cruise. They usually have a get together for the kids on the first night. Your DD's will have a great time.

VA CDC, Isn't it great to think that in just a little over a week we will be crusing in warm weather!! We are in Stafford near you and it is dreary and rainy today. Was your recent cruise on RCCL as well? We loved Soverign last summer.

We sailed on the Sovereign on 23 Jan the the kids. DW and I had our first cruise on the Majesty last July for our 20th aniversery. We loved it and booked the trip on the Grandur, instead of our normal big ski trip. The Sovereign trip was kind of last minute. We plan to "book on board" for a couple more. (They have us hooked :) )

If anyone is interested, I finally got a Grandeur 2-6-06 album started at http://www.webshots.com. I put in all the Cruise Compasses. Next week I'll work on adding my pics of the ports of call and JS. Click on the "community" tab then search for pics by wolfcathorse. Don't forget to uncheck the box for auto resize, that should make the Compasses passably readable.

If anyone is interested, I finally got a Grandeur 2-6-06 album started at www.webshots.com. I put in all the Cruise Compasses. Next week I'll work on adding my pics of the ports of call and JS. Click on the "community" tab then search for pics by wolfcathorse. Don't forget to uncheck the box for auto resize, that should make the Compasses passably readable.

Wolfcathorse..I tried going to webshots and the community tab but when I search for you the only picture it finds is of you and your husband. Is there something else I need to do?

Archived