How to become a TA

gadawg1979

Whats the best way to become a TA ?

You can start with a travel school or a travel careers program at your local community college. That will give you the basics. Some agencies will hire someone with no travel background IF they have a solid sales background.

School's a waste! My friend did the T&T course at Seneca and it teaches you next to nothing; in fact our manager used to teach it and he refuses to hire based on that... what he'll do is start someone off in reception and then send them to training on Apollo/Amadeus or Sabre and use the jump in with both feet technique... that's what I did! I know more than most TA's from hands-on experience, it's the best way to learn trust me! Instead of wasting thousands on a course,I would approach an agency and tell them you're willing to learn, You could learn in an agency in about 2 months time the "basics" and it woudl take you 2 years in school, not to mention you'd be paying for it!

The best way is to hurt yourself at work, get workers compensation re-training and go to work at a reduced rate of pay while in training since you'll still be getting paid from your old job LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would anyone want to be a travel agent these days? I was a travel agent from 1982 to 1989.

I think they want all the perks and freebies that they "think" go along with being a travel agent :rolleyes:

Perks??? Freebies??? What are those??? :D

~Connie

I am a travel agent, and I would like to know about those perks!!! I have been manager of an agency for 11 years, I've been in the business for 25 years. That is before computors. :p There is no free air travel anymore. Hell the airlines don't even want us. Call Delta and tell them your a travel agent and then the friendlyness goes out the window. They act like they are paying us. What a joke. Cruise lines will give us reduced rates, only after you recieve your IATA card. That takes about three years experience. Some people bought IATA cards for anywhere from $300-$2000. They got ripped off. The reduced rates offered for travel agents are given out about three weeks or less before the departure date. You get your own air. 95% of the time its off season. Sometimes the travel agent rate is higher then the customers rate.

I love my job and would not trade it for all the tea in China. However its getting harder and harder. I always tell people as long as you don't have to make a living out of it go ahead. Its a fun job, but also can be very nerve racking. The airlines are what gives us the most grief.

Linda

:)

Here's a champagne toast to Linda and to all travel agents! I love our TA and couldn't manage without her! She is an absolute sweetheart; she even made our airline and hotel reservations for one of our cruises, even though she didn't get a cent of commission for doing so! How's that for dedication and service? I've also never heard one single unkind or impatient word from her, ever. I try to book as many trips with her as I can. For her, I will gladly force myself to take an extra cruise or two;) .....

Personally I would love to be a travel agent - mostly because I love to travel! I love to do all the research for going somewhere, I love to pick the best hotel, I love comparing cruise lines...I love all the logistics that go along with planning a vacation.

For the OP, I don't have it in front of me right now, but there is a company that places ads in every issue of Cruise Travel magazine offering training to become a cruise agent.

Personally I would love to be a travel agent - mostly because I love to travel! I love to do all the research for going somewhere, I love to pick the best hotel, I love comparing cruise lines...I love all the logistics that go along with planning a vacation.

Oh, Etoile. It's not so much fun planning for others as when you plan for yourself. Don't forget, the clients have their own budgets, their own preferences, their own "quirks." It's frustrating to suggest some options that you think would make their vacation better, only to have them vetoed. Price is a big issue. Most people can't see the forest for the trees...

I would not want to be a TA today with the invention of the www.com. I have seen too many people on this site that jump from agency to agency to cruise line to book their cruises to save fifty cents. It's ridiculous. I have a great agent and as long as I'm getting good service and paying a fair price I will stick with them but I really feel sorry for the way most agents are treated today by customers.

Archived