Can you board with a CORKSCREW?

bellazoemom

Do they x-ray the checked luggage? I want to bring a bottle of wine (in carry-on because it's allowed) and my own corkscrew (in checked luggage to avoid the corkage fee). But I also plan on sticking a small bottle of rum in my checked baggage. If they x-ray it and see the corkscrew would they be more likely to open up my bag and then find my rum?

Also- if I bring wine in my carry-on would they suspect I have more liquor somewhere and be more likely to look through my checked bag?

Am I being too paranoid? I know a lot of you have smuggled booze successfully, and I don't know how serious they are in checking for it.

You cannot bring a corkscrew in your carry-on luggage (at least not on Southwest) on an airplane. I had mine taken the end of February when we were flying to Napa Valley. Put it in one of your checked bags or risk having them take it.

FLYING with a corkscrew:

According to the TSA travel guideline page, corkscrews can be carried on or packed.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=177

However, if it was me, I'd put it in my checked luggage. Just because TSA allows it in your carry-on luggage doesn't mean that the individual TSA agent, in an individual airport won't try to confiscate it. Sure, you could argue, but it'd just make your traveling even more stressful. (Unless, of course, you enjoy that! LOL)

Do they allow you to board with a corkscrew?

Yes. You can put it in your carry-on bag along with your wine. No problem.

However, I don't know why you would bring a corkscrew. The cabin steward will get one for you. Just ask.:) I have several Carnival logo corkscrews.

quote=perkyblue]Do they x-ray the checked luggage?

ALL luggage is x-rayed.

I want to bring a bottle of wine (in carry-on because it's allowed) and my own corkscrew (in checked luggage to avoid the corkage fee).

See my above post.

Also - There is no corkage fee if you enjoy your wine in your cabin.;) The corkage fees applies only if you take a bottle of wine to the dining room, and the fee is not always charged. Seems to be at the discretion of your waiter.

Also- if I bring wine in my carry-on would they suspect I have more liquor somewhere and be more likely to look through my checked bag?

Luggage is x-rayed at two different places....The guys who x-ray your carry-on have nothing to do with your checked luggage.:)

However, I don't know why you would bring a corkscrew. The cabin steward will get one for you. Just ask.:) I have several Carnival logo corkscrews.

Hey another Tip!:D

Continental confiscated my cork screw from carry on. I'd be surprised if anyone allowed in carry on, maybe if you're wearing jeans they'll confiscate them also if they know you're on the way to a cruise.

Not completely on topic, but I think it's interesting.

I flew on 09-14-01, the day the airports opened after 9-11. I was talking to some stewardesses who were waiting to board. As part of their uniforms, they are to have a corkscrew in their pockets. They were worried and unsure if they would be stopped because of the corkskrew.

Things have calmed a bit since then, but it just shows the uncertainty about items for flights.

Continental confiscated my cork screw from carry on. I'd be surprised if anyone allowed in carry on, maybe if you're wearing jeans they'll confiscate them also if they know you're on the way to a cruise.

It wasnt Continental that confiscated your cork screw it was the TSA.....

Play it safe and put it in your checked luggage....:)

A few years ago at the height of the 9-11 security concerns, my sister had her nail clippers confiscated boarding the ship. I guess they thought she was going to hold the captain down and threaten to clip his nails unless he let her sit at his table....... The funny thing was that she then proceeded to buy another set of nailclippers in the ship's gift shop. Go figure.

Do they x-ray the checked luggage? I want to bring a bottle of wine (in carry-on because it's allowed) and my own corkscrew (in checked luggage to avoid the corkage fee). But I also plan on sticking a small bottle of rum in my checked baggage. If they x-ray it and see the corkscrew would they be more likely to open up my bag and then find my rum?

Am I being too paranoid? I know a lot of you have smuggled booze successfully, and I don't know how serious they are in checking for it.

You're being to paranoid. ;) No problem bringing wine or a corkscrew on board. Been there, done that. We also were not charged a corkage fee for multiple bottles of wine we brought to dinner.

We brought 3 bottles of wine on board, our friends brought 7 bottles.

You're being to paranoid. ;) No problem bringing wine or a corkscrew on board. Been there, done that. We also were not charged a corkage fee for multiple bottles of wine we brought to dinner.

We brought 3 bottles of wine on board, our friends brought 7 bottles.

Really? The website says you're allowed to bring one bottle. If I'm allowed to bring multiple bottles of wine, then I might not even bother with smuggling in the rum. Has anyone else brought more than one bottle of wine on board?

Really? The website says you're allowed to bring one bottle. If I'm allowed to bring multiple bottles of wine, then I might not even bother with smuggling in the rum. Has anyone else brought more than one bottle of wine on board?

A PVP told a person in our roll call a couple of weeks back that it's the new policy. Carnival's website is notoriously slow in getting updated.

We did smuggle a bottle of Tanqueray though. ;)

Archived