1 stupid questionl 1 normal question

If you are really interested in the wine package, just drop a calculator into your carryon bag. Stop by the head waiter when you check in and ask to see the wine list. Compare the cost of the bottles of wine you want to buy with what's on the list.

We've always bought the less expensive of the two packages and have been really happy with it. We usually try a different wine each night. Also, if you eat in the Windjammer instead of the main dining room they can still get your wine for you -- just show the receipt from the wine package! We loved that part of it!

I think its salt, unless there is something built into the ocean converting this fresh water to salt water? However, I find that hard to believe since 70% of the earth is water.. so I think it just rains salt water.:rolleyes:

Thanks KelJ.. looks like we will be buying a big package!

When the water evaporates out of the ocean to go up and become clouds, it leaves the salt behind - the same way a desalination plant works. The earth is pretty smart!

Why? And how can that be enjoyable? I guess they do it because it is easier then fresh water, is there another reason?

I'm not sure if I would even like to go in the pool now

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, basically every mainstream cruiseline uses salt water in their pools, and has since there have been pools on cruise ships.....Have a great trip......

Someone on a previous thread printed up the Gold, platinum and Diamond wine package prices. It came out to $22.60 a bottle for the gold list, $25 per bottle for the platinum and $27 for the Diamond. The weird thing was that there is no real difference per bottle on the larger size packages. The 5 bottle package came out the same per bottle as the 12 bottle package, which I thought was weird.

As far as savings goes, I do not have a current wine price list for wines on board, but I did look up what it costs to buy a bottle thru the Gifts and Gear section. Assuming this is the same price as what you get onboard, for example the Merlot Vina Tarapaca was $28.95 thru Gifts and Gear and the Shiraz Footprint was $24.95. These were in the gold package list for $22.60.

The Robert Mondovi Merlot Private Selection was $33.95 thru gifts and gear and is part of the Platinum package at $25. I'm not a big enough wino to even look at the diamond package! Sorry!

BE CAREFUL, however as most of the wines in the platinum package are also in the gold package, so if you are probably going to get mostly the gold package wines, why pay for the platinum?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, basically every mainstream cruiseline uses salt water in their pools, and has since there have been pools on cruise ships.....Have a great trip......

Actually, as much as I like salt water pools moe than I like heavily chlorinated fresh water pools, the above statement is incorrect. Many mainstream cruiselines have fresh water pools, Princess and HAL just to mention two that I know of with certainty. I don't see it as a big selling point but many fans of those lines highlight the freshwater pools as a major reason for their preference. If you object to saltwater pools you do have options.:)

If you purchase the wine package and do not drink all the bottles---- any unopened bottles will be delivered to your stateroom to take home.... boxed up real nice for travel. You paid for them - they are yours.

When coming aboard at ports, if they "confiscate" your liquor purchased onshore, they will also "hold" it for you until the last night and deliver it to your stateroom to take home.

Ships have fresh water pools if they have sufficient desaltination capability beyond the other needs of the ship. Otherwise they have salt water pools.

All "older" cruise ships had salt water pools because the technology did not allow them to generate beyond their needs. Many "older" cruise ships had to "take on" fresh water at ports because they did not have the fresh water generatiion capability. "Older" ships I have sailed (France / Independence / original Dawn Princess / Royal Princess) had salt water pools.

Archived