Is Anyone Else Laughing at RCCL?

chessbriar

I was just reading CC news. They have announced the name of the second Freedom class ship. For those of you who have watched the movie Armagedon, the ship will be called the Endevour of the Seas. Isn't that the shuttle that crashes in the movie?

I think they could have been a little more creative than taking the names of the two shuttle from Armagedon. It's as bad as X continuing to name their ships after cars, Solstice and Equinox. Oh that's right, it the same company.

I was just reading CC news. They have announced the name of the second Freedom class ship. For those of you who have watched the movie Armagedon, the ship will be called the Endevour of the Seas. Isn't that the shuttle that crashes in the movie?

I think they could have been a little more creative than taking the names of the two shuttle from Armagedon. It's as bad as X continuing to name their ships after cars, Solstice and Equinox. Oh that's right, it the same company.

Hi Rick !

I agree. I dont think Endeavour is a great name. I do like Freedom very much though.

As you recall, when Celebrity announced Solstice last year, it was originally known as Challenger Class, and supposedly, the first ship was likely to be named Challenger. At the time, I thought that was a pretty bad idea. Celebrity must have reconsidered, as they are now known as Solstice and Equinox. While I am not thrilled with either name, I do like them much better than Challenger.

It seems that ALL the Cruise lines are not very creative when it comes to Ship's names. I am surprised they cannot do better.

It seems that ALL the Cruise lines are not very creative when it comes to Ship's names. I am surprised they cannot do better.

TskTskTsk ....

My dear Andy, surely you jest!

What about Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Queen Victoria, Aquitania, etc.

And Rotterdam, Volendam, Statendam ...

And don't forget that "X" is an offspring of Chandris America Line. They had the venerable names of Amerikanis, Britanis, Ellinis

I just hope Host Doug doesn't see your post ... he'll ream you for sure.

:rolleyes: ;)

TskTskTsk ....

My dear Andy, surely you jest!

What about Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Queen Victoria, Aquitania, etc.

And Rotterdam, Volendam, Statendam ...

And don't forget that "X" is an offspring of Chandris America Line. They had the venerable names of Amerikanis, Britanis, Ellinis

I just hope Host Doug doesn't see your post ... he'll ream you for sure.

:rolleyes: ;)

Hi Vic !

Actually, I was quite serious. However, I was referring to the recent namings of the past few years. Surely, I was not referring to some of the wonderful names of yesteryear. Most of those names were outstanding.

At least they didn't pick Jewel, Star, Pride, Spirit, Dawn, Sun, etc.

That gets very confusing.

Hmm.. you know, Century is the only one of the fleet which doesn't fit.

I happen to like the name Endeavor. The original, so to speak, was one of Captain Cook's ships. Also for Star Trek fans........ Starship Endeavor.

I think, though, HAL should have retired the name Prisendam. I love the ship, but the name still gives me the willies.

Guess I'm too easy going. If they own the ships they can name them whatever they want... besides, I can't recall the name of a ship ever ruining my vacation. Put whatever name they want on it but get me on board:D

Hi Rick !

I agree. I dont think Endeavour is a great name. I do like Freedom very much though.

As you recall, when Celebrity announced Solstice last year, it was originally known as Challenger Class, and supposedly, the first ship was likely to be named Challenger. At the time, I thought that was a pretty bad idea. Celebrity must have reconsidered, as they are now known as Solstice and Equinox. While I am not thrilled with either name, I do like them much better than Challenger.

Hi Andy:

I don;t think Celebrity ever released anything naming that series Challenger. I think someone on board picked it up from one of the people who supposedly knew and it gained a life of its own on the various boards.

Prinsendam is a town in the Netherlands, right? I thought all the HAL ships were named after towns in the Netherlands.

As for Solstice and Equinox, I think they make sense. Celebrity did start out with names that were astronomical navigation terms: Horizon, Meridian, and Zenith. Following on from that are more astronomical terms: Galaxy, Mercury, Constellation. So Solstice and Equinox make more sense than Summit or the worst two, Century and Millenium.

Hi Andy:

I don;t think Celebrity ever released anything naming that series Challenger. I think someone on board picked it up from one of the people who supposedly knew and it gained a life of its own on the various boards.

Hi Don !

You may be right about that, but I was pretty sure I saw Celebrity put the words "Challenger" in print at some point. If I can find anything more specific, I will try to post it later.

;) Hi,

It was called the Challenger '' Project " upon its initial conception....Once it moved on from that stage onto an actual building program, the '' name '' of the two ships were announced as Equinox and Solstice.

Imo, anyways.

Cheers

CG

I think, though, HAL should have retired the name Prisendam. I love the ship, but the name still gives me the willies.

I think Ocngypz is referring to the fact that an earlier Holland America Line ship named Prinsendam caught fire and sank in Alaska in 1980. All passengers and crew were saved.

Is that what you meant, Ocngypz?

I think Ocngypz is referring to the fact that an earlier Holland America Line ship named Prinsendam caught fire and sank in Alaska in 1980. All passengers and crew were saved.

Is that what you meant, Ocngypz?

You betcha!

I don't mean to sound rude, but get a life. Who cares what the ship is called? Just get me on one, going anywhere, any time.

I'm with you, but some folks on here love to micromanage and second guess every little detail. I imagine there will be even more discussion and second guessing now that it has been revealed that the ship will be called Liberty of the Seas and not Endeavor.

Let's face it, originality is apparently not a strong suit with cruiseline executives, but they have shown some imagination and originality in some of their ship designs, a place where it really counts.:)

Hi Rick !

I like Solstice and Equinox. Besides, they were names for other things besides cars.;) Besides, they fit with the names Galaxy, Zenith, Constellation, and Millenium.

I agree that Challenger was problematic. I don't like "Liberty," though.

I don't mean to sound rude, but get a life. Who cares what the ship is called? Just get me on one, going anywhere, any time.

Well, if you didn't mean to sound rude, why did you say it in the first place?:confused: 'Cause it sounds rude.

At least they didn't pick Jewel, Star, Pride, Spirit, Dawn, Sun, etc.

That gets very confusing.

Hmm.. you know, Century is the only one of the fleet which doesn't fit.

I happen to like the name Endeavor. The original, so to speak, was one of Captain Cook's ships. Also for Star Trek fans........ Starship Endeavor.

"Century" fits with the name "Millenium."

Archived