Star has arrived!!

bjcanady

Hello again,

no new pictures now, but a little hint. You don't need to watch the webcam all the time. I think the Princess can only pass the locks of Bremerhaven port at hightide, because she is so big. The hightide for Friday are 01:38 am and 02:05 pm local time. On Saturday the hightides are 02:14 am and 02:38 pm. If I'm right the Princess has to leave the shipyard between 1/2 and 1 hour before to be at the locks at the right time.

If she sails on Friday I will be there to take new Photos. If she sails on Saturday I have no chance because I have another appointment I can't change.

I keep my fingers crossed for all people sailing on the Princess in the near future.

Frank

... I think the Princess can only pass the locks of Bremerhaven port at hightide, because she is so big. The hightide for Friday are 01:38 am and 02:05 pm local time. On Saturday the hightides are 02:14 am and 02:38 pm. If I'm right the Princess has to leave the shipyard between 1/2 and 1 hour before to be at the locks at the right time.

Thanks, Frank. By my reckoning, it is nine hours difference between Bremerhaven and the U.S. West Coast. That makes it 4:38pm (Thursday) and 5:05am (Friday) for the first series and 5:14pm (Friday) and 5:38am (Saturday) for the second.

We will be following the ship each day and will look to this thread to be the vehicle for information regarding Star's repair and changes in the design of the new balconies. Hopefully you will have information on the new materials used and how the sprinkler system has been designed. Please tell us if the system is operative now or will it be operative only after it has been installed on all the balconies. The new system will probably need a network of pumps, etc., so it very well may NOT be operative at this time.

Frank,

I'd like to nominate you as the Cruise Critic Member of the Year!!! The amount of time you have spent taking and posting these pictures has been a real benefit to a lot of us. You're the man.

I agree! Actually seeing what is going on is so much better than hearing about it, which we probably wouldn't be doing anyway. Thanks so much, Frank. (good name, my father's name:) )

DonLou - Thanks for the time conversions. I'll be able to check the Friday times but will have to check Saturday in Copenhagen!

OldSeaLegs - I'll try to find out that info if and when we board. I have only been on one other cruise so I wouldn't know the difference but I'll ask around.

My thanks to everyone! We usually travel indepently but it's been great to have so many people to share ideas, theories, concerns and questions with!

Carol

event.png

I'll be able to check the Friday times but will have to check Saturday in Copenhagen!

Carol,

Bon Voyage!! Have a safe and enjoyable trip and don't forget us "landlubbers" back here waiting for your reports......:D

GointoStPete - I hope you'll be joining us in the Wheelhouse bar on Tuesday at 1:30pm. If not we'll probably bump into you in what I'm sure will be a long line at the Internet Cafe!

Carol

event.png

Thanks Cathy. I loved your review of the Baltics! We've only cruised once before, many years ago. Having Cruise Critics as a resource has made a huge difference for me! I'm sure I'll get a lot more out of this cruise!

Carol

P.S. I CAN'T BELIEVE WE LEAVE TOMORROW!!:D :D

event.png

Hi Carol--- We are travelling on the June 24th cruise and have been watching all the boards for info. Our cruise has not had much talk. We will be in A338, 336 and 302. We are with two adult friends and four of our grandchildren( 15, 14 13, and 10). We have arranged with Alla for St. Petersburg,private van for Poland and on our own everywhere else.We have not yet decided about Stockholm. If you could come back on the thread when you return to let us have your input on transfer to the City, it would be a great help. I don't know how much of a problem it would be to go by train or get a van. Anything you might suggest would be welcomed. Anyway, we are all watching with you and hope everything goes smoothly for your cruise. All the best. Anne

Hello again,

I uploaded a couple of new pictures of the Star Princess which I have taken today afternoon. As I could not decide which picture to take I uploaded nearly all I made today :D

You can find the pictures at http://www.essorg.de/sp

These photos will be probably the last I can upload, because the Princess will sail away tomorrow. A crew member told me, that the ropes to the pier will be removed at 11:00 am local time (05.00 am New York time, 02:00 am Los Angeles time) tomorrow.

Thanks to all people for nice dicussion about the pics here at the board and also thanks for all the nice email I received.

I wish all people who have booked a cruise abord the Star Princess (especially the people who booked the maiden cruise after the fire) a wounderful and safe vacation.

If the Star Princess or another beautiful ship comes to Bremerhaven for inspection (and I hope only for inspection and not some other bad things like the fire) I will take new photos and will inform you here in the board.

Thank You

Frank

sp20060512.jpg.9f926d31047174e71aa40e3cd1e768f2.jpg

Thanks again, Frank. I am sure that you would like to be there for the sailaway and of course we would like for you to be there to record the event for us. :)

I noticed that almost all the the sprinkler system has been painted white to blend in. Each deck has a different setup. It is obvious that this is a patchwork solution to the problem but it looks like it should work. That is what counts. It would be next to impossible to hide the pipes when they have to be retrofitted in an older ship. I doubt anyone will mind having those pipes there though.

I hope to hear from many of you who are sailing on the 15th. Have a GREAT trip.

Frank,

I just wanted to extend another heartfelt thank you for all your pictures and reporting while the Star has been in for repair. As one of those who has a cruise scheduled on her in the next few weeks, I can tell you that having your pictures and reports has been a great comfort. Without you, we would all be left to wonder! CC should take note and engage your sevices formally...what a great correspondent you would be!

It has been amazing to see the transformation. Hopefully as you say, your next visit to Bremerhaven will be under better circumstances.

Frank,

Another thank you for the pictures. It was interesting to watch the progress of the Star Princess since I last time I saw her was as we were leaving the ship the day of the fire. Thank you for taking so much time out of your life to visit the shipyard, take the pictures, and then post them here.

Carolyn

Thanks so much, Frank! Your pictures told quite a story. I compared the pictures on April 13th to the ones today, May 12th. Amazing.............

You have been so kind to post the pictures so often, and not only that, you are a very good photographer.........

Thanks again for taking the time to share these photos. It was a rare opportunity for us to see the progress of the repairs. For all those going on her first post repair cruise, have a safe and wonderful cruise.

Doesn't she look "just wonderful" ??

As I was supposed to sail on the Star in mid April, and suffered such major disappointment (as many others did) finding out our sailing was cancelled, seeing the transformation of this ship to her "old self" has been such a cathartic experience for me !

I am so lucky and excited that I will be sailing on her next April !

Frank, you are WONDERFUL.... a heartfelt thank you SO VERY MUCH for posting these superb pictures.

TAKE CARE ! Denise

Archived