Easter Sunday Mass

mickeyfitz

Does anyone know if it is HAL policy to have religious services, in particular Catholic Mass, offered on a major holiday such as Easter if it is embarkation day? We leave Sunday on the Ryndam Panama Canal cruise from Tampa and it my recollection that services were not normally scheduled on departure day, but I recall someone indicating that they might be scheduled on sailing day if it is a major holiday such as Christmas or Easter. Does anyone have prior experience or otherwise know the policy? We are probably going to try to attend Mass before we leave, but the timing will be difficult and it would be good to know Mass is available on the ship. Thanks for the help.

I'm RC. Never noticed Mass on embarkation day and would not expect it, as we are generally busy unpacking our bags and wandering around the ship. You can have your TA ask HAL if there are special arrangements made for this Holy Day.

When we were on the Maasdam last year, there was daily Mass each morning at 8AM. I can't tell you about Mass on the day of embarkation. There was so much going on, I have to admit I didn't pay attention. I can almost bet that there will be Easter Mass onboard. Have a wonderful cruise!!

It would be nearly impossible to arrange for services on the day the ship sails. It is possible that they would have some kind of evening Easter service. I would check with ship services. I know that they have daily mass on every HAL cruise we've been on. I just have my doubts about embarkation day.

Trisha

I've been told that going to BINGO counts. :rolleyes:

I have looked at the schedule on several embarkation days and have never seen Mass offered.

If there is no Mass on Easter is Easter Vigil a possiblity for you? There is also a Mass for the crew. You could ask if it's possible to attend that.

your question was will a Mass be offered on embarkation day? Wow, that is a good question. I am not seeing how they would fit it in, but perhaps someone else will know, maybe RevNeal.

Given that I'll never be in a position to do an Easter service aboard ship ... at least not for a VERY long time to come ... the subject is a bit far from my experience. HOWEVER ... it would be in the evening, sometime following port departure (assuming port departure at 5 or 5:30 pm). Given that this is the "highest" Holy Day on the Christian Calendar, I don't think they would not have it.

My guess would be that it would be at a time prior to late seating. Ditto for Protestant services. If this is a critical issue for you, call ship's services and see if they know. If they don't, they might be able to tell you who the Cruise Director is/will be, and you can e-mail and ask.

Personally, I would suggest the Easter Vigil the night before and/or Early morning Mass at an area church before checking in at the Pier. That's what I would do, EVEN if I were retired and serving as Chaplain aboard a cruise that departed on an Easter Sunday.

My understanding was that the Masses for the crew were/are held late at night...at 11PM, I think, at a time when people have time to attend. Perhaps that differs from ship to ship and priest to priest.:rolleyes:

It does and it does. :)

Try doing communion for the Dutch Reformed officers of the ship at midnight. :) And I don't even speak Dutch (the closest I can get is a few dozen words of Frisian that I've picked up here and there)! They were kind to let me use the English Liturgy, however.

I prefer doing that at Midnight as opposed to dragging my lazy carcass out of bed at (groan) 5 am. Heaven deliver me from a Captain who is an earlier riser!

My understanding was that the Masses for the crew were/are held late at night...at 11PM, I think,

I have the same understanding of the time. I don't consider 11:00 at night "late", however. And if it's the best you can do....

I prefer doing that at Midnight as opposed to dragging my lazy carcass out of bed at (groan) 5 am.
I believe it's called "The Lord's Supper," not "A Prayer Breakfast."

/signed/

A Late Riser

Archived