Lunch taken off the ship

When I first starting cruising many years ago, (ok not that many) RCCL did give you box lunches to take off the ship if you were going to the beach, it was like a picnic lunch. You had to request it and room service provided it. I have inquired on recent cruises and the staff look at me as if I had 10 heads. Appartently, food laws have changed. The cruise I remember this happening on was the Nordic Prince and it was a 7 day to Bermuda, then again on the Song of America with a 7 day to Bermuda. Both ships are now retired. I have been told on recent cruises that either the excursion will provide the food or I have to get food while I am on the island. Even in the exursions summary, it will tell you that food is provided or lunch is on your own, so things have changed since my first cruising days.

Oh yeah, Daffadil, chill.

You can usually purchase candy bars, snack crackers, chips, etc. at one of the shops on board if you don't want to bring them from home or you forget. Of course , they will be a bit more expensive. Just an FYI !!!

I, too, recall when RCCL provided box lunches to take off the ship. I can't figure out if they discourage it now for real reasons (like it's prohibited by law) or because they don't want to make 3,000 sandwiches. Cuts into profits too much. Also, there may be a concern that, without proper refrigeration, some sandwiches, etc., may go bad in the heat and passengers might get sick.

Hawaii has very strict regulations regarding produce being brought ashore. California apparently, too. I can understand that as CA is a big agricultural state and Hawaii is very protective of the fact that they are an isolated island and want to keep it that way.

But, when I think about taking a sandwich (not produce) off the ship with me at St. Thomas, e.g., I can't really see the harm. What am I missing?

We don't do it as we like to go to a local resort and eat lunch. But really. I wish people would spend their worry energy over things that really matter!!

I think we should respect and abide by the laws of the country/island we are visiting.

I don't think there's any "harm" in going through a red light when there's no one around....however, I stop anyway.

But, when I think about taking a sandwich (not produce) off the ship with me at St. Thomas, e.g., I can't really see the harm. What am I missing?

Because your innocuous sandwich could be harboring non-native insect eggs that could potentially damage their environment. I live in an area where a very nasty non-native insect (fire ants) are quite entrenched in our ecosystem. I hate them but there's not much I can do about it.

Hawaii has very strict regulations regarding produce being brought ashore. California apparently, too. I can understand that as CA is a big agricultural state and Hawaii is very protective of the fact that they are an isolated island and want to keep it that way.

We don't do it as we like to go to a local resort and eat lunch. But really. I wish people would spend their worry energy over things that really matter!!

It is not the things you can see that have people worried, it is the things you cannot see. That is why California and Hawaii and some countries and islands have laws against bringing fresh food into their (not your) land. And just because you are unaware of the great harm that comes from people who don't believe these laws are important does not mean it is something that does not matter.

I can hardly believe what I have just read!!! I hope I am never in the company of someone who would consider doing something as mean and tacky as taking lunch off the ship. Surely part of seeing other countries is experiencing something of their way of life and eating the local food.

This is my first cruise with this line, I wonder if i've made a big mistake .

I've had plenty of surprises on CC but this is the worst so far. Hope we never meet but happy cruising anyway.

Geeeez Whizzzz....:rolleyes: you act as if someone has asked to murder there "first born" child or something... Ya know they make meds that help that sort of thing.... :confused:

Take a Chill Pill.... :)

I always carry Glucerna bars or the equivalent in my purse/tote just in case and they've come in handy often.

If we can't get a tour that includes food we just make sure we eat right before we leave and grab a snack after we get back.

I, too, recall when RCCL provided box lunches to take off the ship. I can't figure out if they discourage it now for real reasons (like it's prohibited by law) or because they don't want to make 3,000 sandwiches. Cuts into profits too much. Also, there may be a concern that, without proper refrigeration, some sandwiches, etc., may go bad in the heat and passengers might get sick.

St. Thomas is part of the United States and is governed by the same USDA rules the rest of the country has. Same with San Juan. You should've seen the problems people had at San Juan airport last month trying to take an apple through security. Not to mention, the people who got in trouble at customs coming off the ship trying to bring oranges off the ship. Each are has different restrictions, but no matter where you are coming from you aren't allowed to bring fruits, vegetables, meats, or cheeses into the US. Many other countries have the same laws.

Panama is very strict as is Costa Rica. It is against the law. Our ship's excursion in Panama provided a box lunch. The tour company was very careful to point out that they made the box lunches not the ship because the ship was not allowed to bring food off the ship as it was a threat to their agricultural system..

Karencruiser43: You asked a perfectly legitimate question. I don't think the negative responses have been directed to you (I certainly hope not). They have been directed at those with the attitude of "who cares about the laws; what's the harm; go ahead and smuggle off fresh food."

You may take bottle water, canned sodas, and packaged food (crackers, cereal, snack bars, etc.) off the ship with you. That's the information you need. At some locations, you may take off packaged yogurt and similar items, but not usually.

For all those of you with the attitude of "who cares" or who want to have an excuse (such as that it's financial because these places want you to purchase food), it is a HUGE deal. And yes, I am appalled and hope I never cruise with anyone who has this attitude that basically says "the hell with the welfare of your island/country/state, I'll do what I want."

Until you have lived through scheduled malathion drops to eradicate fruit fly; until you have watched millions of dollars of crops destroyed by pests that came in by so-called "innocent" smuggling of non-legal items; until you have seen the real harm to the health of ecosystems, overall ecology, and economy of an island, country, state, or county, then I guess nothing we can say will get the point across strongly enough. Those of us with first-hand knowledge often mention these things, only to get "shouted" down by those who think we are over-reacting or who just don't care about the truth. I wonder how long you would have these attitudes if the destruction was happening to your area?

beachchick

I would imagine that for those cruises ending in San Juan or the USVI, the reason you can't bring produce off the ship is because you quite possibly smuggled it onto the ship from one of the other foreign ports of call.

Okay say you've made your ham sandwich, for example. You don't see it but it has some kind of fly in it. That fly isn't native to the area. You get to the beach you take out your sandwich, that fly leaves, again you don't see it because it is so tiny. The fly then lands on the native plant really close to you and starts attacking it.

Same thing with fruit. You have that peach but you plan on taking all your trash back to the ship so it's okay, right? Wrong. You don't see it but in the center are little fruit flies that the second you cut into it they fly away. It's not whether you leave anything behind at all, it's what's in it that may fly off and infect the local eco-system.

First I hope daffodil stays home.

The purpose of these boards is to share information not be so mean. I think a picnic at the beach is a lovely idea and a valid question.

About the fly scenario.....I understand this logic until I think to myself.......but.....those flies are on the ship docked in port and could easily fly ashore anyway.

I take food with me in Mexico because i don't want to chance anything GastroIntestinal happening. I take a bagel or a box of cheerios which seems to be okay according the consensus here since it's not agricultural. I also carry a bottle of water which you can buy on the ship or at a store in port.

Have a nice day at the beach and don't let the turkeys get you down!

If you are wanting snacks to take with you I would just buy some granola bars or something similar.

I often question the import laws as well. I live a few hours from the Maine border and can't even take an apple or banana with me. However, I am sure there are valid reasons for having them in place.

Daffodil - how is it mean and tacky to take a lunch off the ship? There are several islands where I would refuse to eat the local food due to health concerns and I am sure others feel the same way. Furthermore, if someone is only interested in having an apple, banana or sandwich I don't think this can be considered "experiencing something of their way of life". Personally, I went back to ship at every port for my lunch...does this mean I am mean and tacky as well?

First I hope daffodil stays home.

The purpose of these boards is to share information not be so mean. I think a picnic at the beach is a lovely idea and a valid question.

About the fly scenario.....I understand this logic until I think to myself.......but.....those flies are on the ship docked in port and could easily fly ashore anyway.

I take food with me in Mexico because i don't want to chance anything GastroIntestinal happening. I take a bagel or a box of cheerios which seems to be okay according the consensus here since it's not agricultural. I also carry a bottle of water which you can buy on the ship or at a store in port.

Have a nice day at the beach and don't let the turkeys get you down!

No one is being asked to understand or agree with the regulations, only to observe them. This is not some intellectual exercise where the best or most logical answer or the most persuasive argument wins. It is a question of observing the rules which were set by people who, hopefully, have a better understanding than you or I of the consequences of what can happen when the rules aren't followed. I'd suggest leaving the bagel behind unless it is prepackaged and sticking to the box of cereal, the candy or power bar, and the bottle of water.

The only turkeys are those who insist on marching to their own drummer and disregarding any rules that they feel inconvenience them.

No one is being asked to understand or agree with the regulations, only to observe them. This is not some intellectual exercise where the best or most logical answer or the most persuasive argument wins. It is a question of observing the rules which were set by people who, hopefully, have a better understanding than you or I of the consequences of what can happen when the rules aren't followed. I'd suggest leaving the bagel behind unless it is prepackaged and sticking to the box of cereal, the candy or power bar, and the bottle of water.

The only turkeys are those who insist on marching to their own drummer and disregarding any rules that they feel inconvenience them.

Very good response.

Archived