Glacier Bay or Hubbard????

tapia

Which would you choose? (if you had to)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose? (if you had to)

• Glacier Bay
    • Hubbard

Well, since I'm going on my first (and probably only) Alaskan cruise in 4 weeks ( :D ), my choice is rather clear. I opted for Glacier Bay.

I thought that would be my choice as well.......but, I'm getting antsy since HAL doesn't look like they have Southbound sailings going to Glacier Bay in 2007. So, if I'm looking at ships that leave out of Seward (I'd much prefer this) and it's not Glacier Bay, I have to look at the other lines...... I just wish HAL put Glacier Bay on the list.

Although, now I'm hearing good things about Hubbard.......so, I'm not sure. Help?

I thought that would be my choice as well.......but, I'm getting antsy since HAL doesn't look like they have Southbound sailings going to Glacier Bay in 2007. So, if I'm looking at ships that leave out of Seward (I'd much prefer this) and it's not Glacier Bay, I have to look at the other lines...... I just wish HAL put Glacier Bay on the list.

Although, now I'm hearing good things about Hubbard.......so, I'm not sure. Help?

I THINK you will still have a Glacier Bay option on a HAL southbound in 2007! HAL made at least one error when publishing their Cruise Planner for 2007. On the northbound itinerary for the Volendam, it shows it beginning and ending in Vancouver. The northbound obviously ends in Seward.

The 2006 itinerary on the southbound Ryndam/Veendam goes to College Fjord and Glacier Bay. I believe that is where the 2007 southbound cruise will go as well - not to College Fjord/Hubbard Glacier. Look at the time for "Hubbard Glacier" on the Cruise Planner - it's the same time allotted as if they were going to Glacier Bay, not Hubbard. If I were a betting woman, I'd say the southbound WILL go to Glacier Bay! :)

tapia, I do have a suggestion. Our first trip to Alaska was last year and we opted for Celebrity which does Hubbard Glacier instead of Glacier Bay. Let me say, Hubbard is amazing, but I do understand why Glacier Bay is often chosen over Hubbard. Since I really thought last year would be our only trip to Alaska (WRONG), we did a flightseeing over Glacier Bay so we wouldn't miss it all together! I know people say cruising gives you a perspective that you don't get from the air, but let me say this: Seeing the whole icefied that goes down to the various glaciers gives you a perspective you don't get from sailing up to the glacier either!

When we did the flightseeing we did it thru the cruiseline and it was expensive, but what isn't expensive in Alaska??? The other day I found another option out of Skagway. Skagway is quite close to Glacier Bay by air. Here's a link to a company that has a very affordable option - only $150 per person: www.skagwayair.com/glacier.htm. By going with this option you experience both Glacier Bay and Hubbard! I will also note, we're going back this year and going Celebrity again. My reason (besides preferring Celebrity) is because I really loved Icy Strait, and want to return!

By the way, has anyone had experience with skagwayair.com?

I don't think I could choose based on just one glacier! The rest of the ports are important to me as well. If I were cruising to Alaska this summer - I probably would've chosen the northbound itinerary on Celebrity Summit or RCI Radiance: Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Icy Strait, Hubbard Glacier. Glacier Bay would be nice, but I want to go to Sitka and Skagway, as well as Icy Strait.

I THINK you will still have a Glacier Bay option on a HAL southbound in 2007! HAL made at least one error when publishing their Cruise Planner for 2007. On the northbound itinerary for the Volendam, it shows it beginning and ending in Vancouver. The northbound obviously ends in Seward.

The 2006 itinerary on the southbound Ryndam/Statendam goes to College Fjord and Glacier Bay. I believe that is where the 2007 southbound cruise will go as well - not to College Fjord/Hubbard Glacier. Look at the time for "Hubbard Glacier" on the Cruise Planner - it's the same time allotted as if they were going to Glacier Bay, not Hubbard. If I were a betting woman, I'd say the southbound WILL go to Glacier Bay! :)

I SERIOUSLY hope you're right. I just don't want to 'bank' on it, just in case.

I've been told that the schedule is basically final by HAL customer service though :-(

Any idea when HAL's schedule will be final? I've heard times from 2 weeks from now until August.......

tapia, I do have a suggestion. Our first trip to Alaska was last year and we opted for Celebrity which does Hubbard Glacier instead of Glacier Bay. Let me say, Hubbard is amazing, but I do understand why Glacier Bay is often chosen over Hubbard. Since I really thought last year would be our only trip to Alaska (WRONG), we did a flightseeing over Glacier Bay so we wouldn't miss it all together! I know people say cruising gives you a perspective that you don't get from the air, but let me say this: Seeing the whole icefied that goes down to the various glaciers gives you a perspective you don't get from sailing up to the glacier either!

When we did the flightseeing we did it thru the cruiseline and it was expensive, but what isn't expensive in Alaska??? The other day I found another option out of Skagway. Skagway is quite close to Glacier Bay by air. Here's a link to a company that has a very affordable option - only $150 per person: www.skagwayair.com/glacier.htm. By going with this option you experience both Glacier Bay and Hubbard! I will also note, we're going back this year and going Celebrity again. My reason (besides preferring Celebrity) is because I really loved Icy Strait, and want to return!

Wow, that seems like a really good option actually. Do you know if Celebrity's schedule came out yet for 2007?

Anyone--skagwayair.com?

I don't think I could choose based on just one glacier! The rest of the ports are important to me as well. If I were cruising to Alaska this summer - I probably would've chosen the northbound itinerary on Celebrity Summit or RCI Radiance: Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Icy Strait, Hubbard Glacier. Glacier Bay would be nice, but I want to go to Sitka and Skagway, as well as Icy Strait.

What does Sitka and Icy Strait have that is so special?

I think I was more asking if the ports were the same (basically) which would you choose.........but, that's a REALLY good point.

What about Ketchitan? (I think I messed the spelling up there--sorry!)

I SERIOUSLY hope you're right. I just don't want to 'bank' on it, just in case.

I've been told that the schedule is basically final by HAL customer service though :-(

Any idea when HAL's schedule will be final? I've heard times from 2 weeks from now until August.......

We all know how "knowledgeable" those customer service people are! ;) One thing is certain about the southbound Ryndam/Statendam schedule for 2007: either the glacier is wrong or the time is wrong - and I think it's the glacier.

Veendam's southbound schedule for 2006: http://hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20060702:E630:ASG007&dest=A

As for Alaska ports, unlike the Caribbean- which always seems to have one crappy port on every itinerary. EVERY port in Alaska is worthwhile and distinctly different. You can't do them all on one trip and probably would take at least 3 to include them all. I have and definately can't choose which is "best or better". All enjoyable and offer plenty. Perhaps request each city's visitor guide to get more familiar with the available sites and activites, then make your choices. :) Tough indeed!!!

I too am awaiting a final HAL 2007 itinerary as I will again be doing a cc group cruise on HAL, this time one way, most likely southbound.

I think I was more asking if the ports were the same (basically) which would you choose.........but, that's a REALLY good point.

I am anxiously awaiting Celebrity/RCI's schedule for next year!

According to the author of Frommer's Alaska: "If I could visit only one Alaska town, it would be Sitka. Sitka preserves the Russian look of Alaska's initial European invasion and, more deeply, the story of the cultural conflict between Alaska natives and the newcomers, and the Naitves' resistance and ultimate accommodation to the new ways."

Icy Strait is a relatively new port for the cruiselines, but from what I've read here - hasn't been spoiled by all the tourists...yet!

I would love to go to Ketchikan, too. Carnival Spirit is the only ship that goes to Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, AND Sitka - as well as College Fjord.

No matter which ship you choose, there will be ports and glaciers that are missed. One can see College Fjord on a cruise from Prince William Sound, and as SEPyle said, there are other ways to see Glacier Bay if your ship doesn't sail there.

>>By the way, has anyone had experience with skagwayair.com?<<

They're a reliable year-round shuttle operator and have been here many many years. How good the tour is depends on the particular pilot you get.

If the only difference between two itineraries was Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier - I'd choose Glacier Bay. That's because so few ships go there. But I have yet to come across an itinerary that offers Glacier Bay along with Icy Strait and Sitka.

Is a southbound cruise a requirement for you? The northbound Ryndam/Statendam has basically the same itinerary as the one-way Princess cruises (Glacier Bay and College Fjord), but sails out of Seward.

Is a southbound cruise a requirement for you? The northbound Ryndam/Statendam has basically the same itinerary as the one-way Princess cruises (Glacier Bay and College Fjord), but sails out of Seward.

Yes, I really want to go Southbound. This is no other reason that I want to go on my land tour first. It's not that I want to 'relax' more on the ship because the land tour I'm planning is very relaxing. But, I would rather be set for the last week (no unpacking, driving, whatnot). I guess it's just a personal choice......... But, yes, I'm set with that.

@Yukon: Thanks!

@BQ: Won't you be upset if HAL doesn't have a Southbound Glacier Bay itinerary for 2007?

Thanks for all the information. I'd really like to go with HAL. Perhaps I will try better on them having a Southbound Glacier Bay. Otherwise, I like the suggestion with doing either Celebrity for HAL Southbound with Hubbard & then flightseeing Glacier Bay. That looks like the best of both worlds.......

i am by no means an expert on cruising or alaskan ports, however to answer your question, i found sitka to be one of the most beautiful ports on my first trip... and i say that having been to anchorage, homer, kodiak island, seward, skagway, juneau, sitka, and ketchikan. one of the reasons i took the specific cruise route this august is to be able to stop in sitka. sitka has a beautiful russian flavor to it.

if i had to choose ports in order of importance to me, they would be: sitka, kodiak island, homer spit, juneau, ketchikan, seward, skagway, anchorage. there is something unique to each port imo. :)

i am by no means an expert on cruising or alaskan ports, however to answer your question, i found sitka to be one of the most beautiful ports on my first trip... and i say that having been to anchorage, homer, kodiak island, seward, skagway, juneau, sitka, and ketchikan. one of the reasons i took the specific cruise route this august is to be able to stop in sitka. sitka has a beautiful russian flavor to it.

if i had to choose ports in order of importance to me, they would be: sitka, kodiak island, homer spit, juneau, ketchikan, seward, skagway, anchorage. there is something unique to each port imo. :)

What ships go to Sitka, Kodiak Island, Homer spit??

I just want to hit Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka if I can. Anything else is a bonus--do any of the itineraries go there? [oh, and a glacier]

I just want to hit Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka if I can. Anything else is a bonus--do any of the itineraries go there? [oh, and a glacier]

Celebrity's Infinity r/t out of Vancouver goes to Hubbard Glacier, Ketchikan, Juneau and Sitka.

hi tapia. i honestly haven't done any research into other cruiselines besides princess and holland america. i was fortunate to go north from vancouver and do the inside passage in a 2 week stint on the island princess back in 1998. they stopped in sitka, kodiak island, and homer. unfortunately, they no longer cruise this same route. i am not sure if there are other cruiselines that hit all of those stops.

like you, i want to hit all those ports as well and the cruise i am taking this august (ms. oosterdam) goes to ketchikan, juneau, and sitka and also hubbard glacier, in addition to victoria, bc. while glaciers are magnificent to watch, i'm going for the whales. :o

good luck choosing your cruise. no matter where it goes, i'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.

Do you have any pictures to share from this excursion? We have already booked a glacier/heli flight with Coastal in Juneau so I was wondering which would be better.

HAL's Volendam northbound goes to Ketchikan, Icy Strait, Juneau, Sitka, and Hubbard Glacier. The southbound substitutes Skagway for Ketchikan.

Archived