Arriving At The Embarkation Port

VICKIVICKI

Do most of you arrive way early, and if you do, does that make you more likely to be one of the first on? Does anyone wait until 2 or 3 to arrive to avoid the crowds?Also, for those of you who have arrived early, what

is the earliest you have stepped on a ship with a, say, 1:30 scheduled embarkation? Do any of you consider the wait to get on the ship part of the fun? Thanks

Arriving early is fine as long as people realize that the boarding time listed on your documents are there for a reason. There is no guarantee that you will be on by noon for lunch.

Personally, we get there around 10:30am with the attitude that we are going to visit with "new friends" while we wait to get a jump on our vacation. But we also eat a large late breakfast, just in case there is an unforeseen delay and we can't board until the 1:00pm or 1:30pm (which ever the case may be) listed on the documents.

Just want to share a little story from the Royal Caribbean boards this past week. Somebody who lives about 2 hours from Port Canaveral planned it so he would arrive around 3pm, "to avoid the crowds and not have to stand in line". There was a major traffic accident on the way and he didn't arrive until just before 4:30, when they usually shut the doors. Well, that day there was an emergency in the terminal and the terminal had to be evacuated and he ended up not being let on board so he missed his entire cruise.

Better to get there early and have to stand in line, than get there late and miss your cruise.

I MUST SHARE MY LAST CRUISE WITH YOU. I FLEW THE DAY OF( I KNOW..BIG MISTAKE) I WAS DUE TO ARRIVE IN MAIMI AT 12'36pm PLENTY OF TIME TO GET LUGGAGE AND GET TO THE SHIP FOR LUNCH AND OF COURSE DRINKS. WELL TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT. I MISSED THE 2NG LEG OF MY FLIGHT (AIRLINES FAULT) AND THE ONLY AND NEXT FLIGHT WASNT UNTIL 1230 AND WOULD LAND IN MIAMI UNTIL 2;50, after talking to CARNIVAL THEY TOLD ME THAT I HAD TO BE IN LINE OR AND THE SHIP BY 330PM. 40 MINUTES TO GET OFF THE PLANE ,GET LUGGAGE, GET A TAXI AND GET TO THE PORT. I THOUGHT THERE IS NO WAY IN HE## I WOULD MAKE IT. AFTER IN THE AIR I THOUGHT TO MYSELF...FORGET THE LUGGAGE I WILL BE IN KEY WEST IN THE MORNING I WILL BUY SOME CLOTHES. WELL CARNIVAL TOLD ME TO LOOK FOR SOMEONE WITH A SIGN WITH MY NAME ON IT AND THEN ONCE WE LANDED THE CAPT LET ME OFF FIRST BEFORE ANYONE ELSE AND THE CARNIVAL PEOPLE WERE AT THE GATE WAITNG FOR ME TO GET OFF THE PLANE. MY BAGS MADE THE FLIGHT THAT I DIDNT AND I WAS IN THE TERMIAL AT THE PEIR BY 3"22PM IT WAS TO CLOSE FOR ME. ONLY DIRECT FLIGHTS OR FLY THE DAY BEFORE.

Our last cruise, we arrived at the terminal around 11:30. We met up with our CC friends from our Roll Call, so it made the waiting FUN! They started boarding a little late, but we were on the ship just before 1:00. The lines when we arrived at 11:30 were extremely short. We waited in line less than 5 minutes before checking in. The earlier you can get on the ship, the sooner your vacation starts! :D

I agree that there is no guarantee that you will be able to get on board for lunch, we've been lucky so far.

Go early, plan for the worst and hope for the best!

It's your VACATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DW, best friends and myself were on the 4/1 Liberty. Arrived FLL the day before and found the fastest route to the port, 5 minutes from hotel. Arrived at the port by 9:30 am and was sitting in the waiting room by 10:15. We were in the first 20 to be checked in and seated in the waiting room. At 1130, we were walking on deck! Our room was ready so we dropped off our carry on's and made our way to Emilee's for lunch. By the time we were actually underway, we had explored the ship from bow to aft, top to bottom. A nice way to start the trip!

We always get to the port city the day before and start our vacation early. On boarding day we like to get to the ship early. We have a decent sized breakfast and bring water and a book with us. If we have to wait a while, we're comfortable and have something to do (even though we usually like to people-watch instead of reading.) We are usually at the terminal around 10:30 and most of the time we're on the ship by noon. I like scoping out the ship when the crowds haven't boarded yet. I also need my Fun Ship Special fix first thing so I can officially begin my cruise!

How early is "early?" I'm flying into NYC the day before my cruise on the Legend, and I plan to get to the pier early. According to Carnival's website, embarkation begins at 2:00. I'm thinking of arriving at the pier at noon. Is that too early / not early enough? I don't mind waiting around if it means I can get on the ship sooner, but I don't want to be waiting there for 2 hours if they're not even going to start doing anything until 2:00.

Noon is not "early". Noon is when most people will be getting to the pier. Most of us like to get there around 10:00 for a 1:30 embarkation or 10:30 for a 2:00 embarkation.

Depending on how debarkation went on the previous cruise you could be on the ship before 11:00.

Noon is not "early". Noon is when most people will be getting to the pier. Most of us like to get there around 10:00 for a 1:30 embarkation or 10:30 for a 2:00 embarkation.

Depending on how debarkation went on the previous cruise you could be on the ship before 11:00.

Thanks for the advice! I would hate to get there at noon, thinking I was early, and then find out that there were passengers on the ship already!

One of the most fun things for me was the fact that we were on board with a festive toddy by noon hanging out aft on ship looking out over the port, Miami, the Miami Beaches and the Atlantic.

I love Miami so that was a great part of my cruise.

The only flight out of my area on our preferred air line arrives in Miami at 830am!! So we meander around the airport, take our time getting our luggage, meet some people that are going to the port, and then we are on the ship early! Last May we boarded the Victory by about 1pm and were able to have lunch, a nap, and be refreshed by the bon voyage party! If you ask me, that's the way to go!

So two and a half hours before a cruise departure time is a good choice? I leave in the port on Ecstacy at 4pm. So get in line at 1:30p?

I'm assuming that since your boat is departing at 4:00 your embarkation begins between 1:00 and 2:00. We like to get there 2 and 1/2 hours before embarkation begins; so we arrive between 10:00 and 11:00.

Depending on how debarkation went for the previous cruise went you should be on the boat before lunch.

IMHO it is never too early to start your cruise. Getting to the pier early and meeting fellow passengers is fun to us, we also like to explore the ship and get out bearings, have a drink and relax!

This is a personal call. We never go to the ship beofre about 1:30, but other get there as early as possible. If you are in town go when you want but give yourself a couple of hours.

I always try to take the same flight when cruising from Miami.

It arrives at MIA at 10:00am. By the time I collect my luggage (usually by 11:00), & catch a taxi, I usually arrive at the MIA pier about 11:30 for a 12:00 departure.

I consider the time waiting in line as a good opportunity to meet some of my fellow passengers, so use it for just that.

Once I'm onboard . . . I first like to find my cabin, drop off my carry-on, and then head up to the Lido deck for lunch & a cocktail.

Then I like to explore the ship to get my bearings unil tery announce that it's time for the muster drill.

My opinion: It's better to arrive "sooner" than "later". I've been onboard before, had my lunch, and am enjoying my 1st cocktail on the Lido deck, and have seen some people litterally running up to the ship, carrying several pieces of luggage, & looked really stressed out thinking they might miss their ship. (in my opinion, NOT a good way to start your vacation!)

My advice: Arrive as early as possible, and relax:-)

Annie

Archived