What to do in Copenhagen

nhmrm

We will have about 36 hours pre cruise and wonder what the best way to spend our time is. Anyone who has been there I would appreciate knowing what you saw and what you liked the best. Also just a note we are traveling with our 17 year old son. Thank you.

When we arrived we checked in to our hotel, showered and changed clothes. Then we walked across the street and had dinner and visited Tivoli Gardens. We woke early the following day, took the train to Helsignor to visit the town and castle. We arrived back at the hotel, picked up our bags and arrive by taxi at the ship by 4pm. After we returned we spent the morning on a self guided walking tour of Copenhagen, had lunch at Nyhaven and took the boat tour, did a little shopping on The Stroget then off to the airport.

Thank you very much for the information. I love the idea of the Copenhagenwalks tours and the additional information posted by Steve is fantastic. Thank you again to everyone for taking the time to answer my post.

• 8 months later...
We will have about 36 hours pre cruise and wonder what the best way to spend our time is. Anyone who has been there I would appreciate knowing what you saw and what you liked the best. Also just a note we are traveling with our 17 year old son. Thank you.

A canal tour is always a great idea, only takes one hour. If you're there in the evening, then Tivoli is always a must. If your in Tivoli, and need dinner, I recommend Grofen, I believe that's it's name. Ask to sit in the garden area. Reservations can also be made online. If you wanted to vist in the counrty, a 40 min. train ride to Hillerod is a great ride to visit Frederiksborg castle. But, in Copenhagen, there's Rosenborg castle which only takes about an hour to tour and is where the Crown Jewels are located. Also, if you can be at Amalienborg Palace around noon, you can watch the changing of the guard which is always fun. I also like a walk along Nyhavn and perhaps a Danish beer at one of the many outside cafes along the Nyhavn canal. It's a great place to people watch. There's great shopping too. My favorite is Illums Bolighus which is kind of in the center of Stroget. Oh, also go up the round tower which is just off of Stroget. There's lots to see and do in Copenhagen area. Fortunately, the city is relatively compact, you'll be surprised how much you can see and do in this wonderful city in a short amount of time.

Steve

My wife and I were in Copenhagen this past September for a three night pre-cruise.

We love to walk and the city provided a wonderful opportunity to walk and to see a lot.

With that said, when you arrive at the hotel you might want to see if for the next morning you can book a city tour. We took the city tour which was about three hours and it gave us a very nice overview of the city and its history. I would highly recommend that.

If you have time take a walk on Stoget (pronounced Styo-et). It is the world's longest pedestrian street about 1 mile long and is flanked by a variety of shops and restaurants. We also walked around many of the areas adjacen to this area.

We did go over to Tivoli one evening. While this was highly recommended it really was not a highlight for us. We just walked around rather than going on any of the rides and we didn't eat there. It was pretty all lit up at night though and if you have the time I would still see it at night.

We stayed at the Marriott in Copenhagen and as I said we walked to many places, other than the one three hour tour that we did which was a combination of bus and some walking.

We were very impressed with Copenhagen. The people were very friendly and the city very safe. We also liked the fact that traffic was not too bad as many people walk and many of the locals ride bicycles. So, that keeps motor vehicle traffic down compared to many other cities.

Keith

We went to a couple of museums, the Ny Carlsberg Glypotek (New Carlsberg Museum) which includes works by Impressionists, Entruscan Art, etc. and we also went to the Nationamuseet (National Museum) which includes Danish cultural history, along with Egyptian, Greek and Roman items.

Archived