ID Question

lostball

We are using our birth certificates for identification. Someone said that we needed our marriage license as well for my wife. Is this true?

Thanks!

Birth certificate and photo ID for now. Soon you will be needing a passport. As for marriage cert. depends on how old you are? Someone has to be 25 in your room. If you are under 25 I believe you need a marriage cert.

I know in the past my DW needed the marriage cert (and they did ask for it) as her driver's license didn't match her birth cert.

That's odd. I have a passport now, but in the past cruised many times and

I am married and of course my maiden name is on the birth cert. Never had to bring marriage cert:confused:

We are using our birth certificates for identification. Someone said that we needed our marriage license as well for my wife. Is this true?

Thanks!

I have always taken a "certified" copy of our marriage certificate along with my driver's license and "certified" copy of my birth certificate. However, the marriage cert has never been asked for. If you have it, I would take it just in case. If you don't and have time to get a certified copy, then it might be worthwhile to have with you.

Our last cruise I had a passport so didn't need the marriage cert.

You probably need it to show proof of name change, since more than likely her name on her license and Birth certificate are different.

You will NOT need your marriage cert. to show why your Id has a different name, the cruiselines know women get married and your ID will have the same first, middle name & birthdate. The only reason you would need your marriage cert to board is if you are under 25. You will NOT need your marriage cert. for a passport either, just birth cert. and valid ID.

You will NOT need your marriage cert. to show why your Id has a different name, the cruiselines know women get married and your ID will have the same first, middle name & birthdate. The only reason you would need your marriage cert to board is if you are under 25. You will NOT need your marriage cert. for a passport either, just birth cert. and valid ID.

Well, I guess all of us have different experiences. MY DW was asked when we cruised and asked when we applied for passports even though she took her maiden name as her middle name (did not have a middle name from birth). Guess it's just how picky the person is processing your docs.

Birth certificate and photo ID for now. Soon you will be needing a passport. As for marriage cert. depends on how old you are? Someone has to be 25 in your room. If you are under 25 I believe you need a marriage cert.

? re: marrigae cert. . . . . Not if both are over 21, then it doesn't matter.

The ID issue may still arise but not the one about having someone over 25 in the room, that only applies if someone is under 21.

I've never taken a marriage certificate on a cruise. I've never been asked for one. If Carnival required it, it would be stated in their literature.

The main thing they look at is that the name on your cruise documents match the name on your photo ID.

Lostball - Since you don't have passports, be sure you have the correct b/c. It must be a state-issued certified copy. It doesn't have to have a 'raised seal', because many states are now issuing them on watermark paper, but it MUST be from the state - not a photocopy or a hospital certificate.

This is from Carnival's site. So as long as your over 25 and the name on your DL matches your Cruise Doc's you should be fine without the ML.

"Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) OR a valid driver’s license (or government-issued photo ID) must be presented."

It's not an issue with the cruiselines, generally... although many on this board have been asked for their M/L. Their MIGHT be an issue with Customs in another country, if for any reason you were detained, make sure if you don't have a passport, you have something to back up your name... taking a copy of your M/L wouldn't hurt. It's the reason I made my maiden name my middle name... my passport, SS card, checking account, DL, etc. all have my maiden and married name on them... makes life MUCH easier!!!!!

I just got my passport in August of 2005 and I didn't need to show my marriage license. (Good think because after 17 years and moving 5 times, I have no idea where it is. Perhaps need to have my mom go and get another copy for me since she still lives in the city we were married in).

Probably doesn't matter... but I would hate to get to the ship and find out it does...

Also, you will need your marriage licence for your passport... if you plan on ever traveling again out of the States after Dec 31, 2006...

Wife, child(6) and I just got our passports for our upcoming cruise, we did not even think to bring our marrige certificate with to the court house with us and they never asked. They do send the certified copies of the BC into the feds with your application and they were returned with the passports. (BTW ours took 6 weeks).

But after reading your comment I am actually surprised we did not need it.:rolleyes:

I didn't need my marriage cert for my passport, or renewal... I would be up the creek if I needed it now :eek: Been divorced for 11 years, never changed my name back for that very reason... it is EVERYWHERE, LOL!! Couldn't tell you where my marriage license is... I am fairly certain I burned it at the divorce party :p :D Maybe if I took a handful of ashes???? ;)

Archived