Update from Whisper 4/13 from San Juan

jim in cleveland

I came on board with questionable expectations after visiting this board almost every day for a month. Obviously the 4 day cruise in question on 3/28 was a fluke.

The service on SS is exceptional, and the food is very good. (IMHO, better than RSSC) Is it a 5 star restaurant? --- NO; it’s a cruise ship! The staff goes out of its way to make everyone comfortable and anticipate our desires. Our suite (midships veranda) was always the way we wanted it, the requested liquor AND OUR LUGGAGE was there when we arrived! Check in was a snap.

Due to Spring break there are 30-40 kids on board. Didn’t expect them!! Surprisingly quiet and well behaved. Although they are seen, they are rarely heard except at the pool. Not a good thing, but nothing we can do about it.

A little background --- my wife and I (mid 50s) are seasoned cruisers with some large ships and most recently 5 RSSC (Regent) cruises behind us. Has everything been perfect? ---- nope; was anything worth complaining about or sending back ---- no way. If it were, we would have.

We have only great things to say about SS. Of course there are still three days left, but I expect consistency.

Last night after dinner, we went on deck ---- looked overboard and saw 4 sharks pacing with the ship. The only problem was that people were throwing bread overboard instead of meat. At that time a few folks made some jokes about the kids on board --- but we couldn’t really think of any worth throwing over.

Even the wait staff apologized for sitting a family with kids next to us at dinner one night--- we hardly heard them!

Will we return to Regent --- of course! Will we return to Silversea --- you bet! A lot depends on price, schedule and itinerary.

We are on vacation; having a ball; we ARE finicky ---- and we are pleased!

More when we return.

You can relax now.

Jim

On April 5--

Cruise Consultant - Carl Vlaeminck born and raised in Flanders, Belgium. Worked with Club Med then went onboard Club Med 1 and 2 and then worked on Celebrity. He joined SS in July, 2003 and worked in concierge on Cloud, Whisper and Shadow. In Sept, 2005, he became CC on Shadow. He was also the Venetian Society rep.

Cruise Director - Ron Goodman began career at sea with Celebrity onboard Meridian, then Cunard, Seabourn and Crystal. Joined SS in 2005 He also appeared on some TV - "The Nanny", "Mad About You" and soap "Days of Our Lives"

Concierge - Claudia Pfister - born and raised in Zurich, Switzerland. She has worked on Celebrity as Chief Concierge. Joined SS in July, 2004

Health and Fitness Director - Margit Haslinger

Hotel Director - Michele Maglione - born in Naples in 1961. Lots of food and beverage experience. Joined Festival Cruises in 1999.

Staff Captain - Luigi Rutigliano - Born 1959 in Bari, Italy. Began with Costa in 1990. Joined SS in 1998 on Wind.

Chief Engineer - Giiovanni Monteleone - started sailing in 1971 on bulk carriers and tankers. Worked on Renaissance for 11 years and joined ss in December, 2003.

Golf Pro - Fraser McClellan - hails from Burlington, Ontario. Class A member of Canadian PGA.

Captain - Master of the M/V Silver Whisper - Gennaro Arma - Born in Sorrento, Italy. Joined Renaissance Cruises in early 90s. Joined SS in 1998 as staff captain.

I came on board with questionable expectations after visiting this board almost every day for a month. Obviously the 4 day cruise in question on 3/28 was a fluke.

Jim

I'm thrilled for your sake that things are running the way they should.

Your comments and the other positive comments I have read from another poster in another website reafirms my believe that for whatever reason the unprofessional and inept behavior of the staff on the 3/28 cruise was deliberate. Why? I have no idea. Yes, a "fluke" indeed.

We echo Jim's positive comments above, all spot on..we only had negative experiences with children under 10, dancing with SS Hosts after 11:30 Pm in

the Nightclub/bar on deck 5, and taking over the dance floor on the pool deck at 10:30 pm during the Latin Festival, also one family's two young children (age 4-5) with their yelling/screaming, spoiled the intimate atmosphere in La Terraza one night. In retrospective, these are minor glitches to an exceptional cruise--Pavarotti under the stars sipping strawberry champagne and eating chocalte covered strawberres..We are booked again with the Shadow is November and are counting the days. We also met Jim and Gwinneth Gibbs (JGibbs) on board and over lunch in the Terrace..they are having a blast and are staying on for the Transalantic...r/wes

Archived