I'm back from NYC

Hello ladies,

Well I'm back after a week in NYC with DH. Had a great time.

Saw Jane for cocktails on monday and Jane was wearing the most beautiful Prada coat. That coat is fantastic I just have to write about it. I don't know how to explain it as I'm not good explaining fabric but it is not just a plain coat fabric wise, Jane help me here please. (I don't use the expression "to die for" but it was simply beautiful, classic, elegant, just fantastic. Of course everything else Jane wore was also great.

We had a "girl day" on thursday and Jane had on a great jacket that she got in Paris, something we won't see this side of the Atlantic, black my fav color and once again Jane looked great, I really enjoyed my "girl day" as I call it with Jane in NYC. Loved the new haircut Jane.

Jane thank you for takeing the time to come out. I miss you already. I really enjoyed our time together, just to short.

Then Jane and her DH and mine all had dinner on friday night at a lovely italian resto that Jane suggested.

Went to broadway twice, Jersey Boys which was fun and very very good and Lestat, which was ok, but not something I would rush to recommend.

Had dinner at Dylan Prime, DH most fav place in Tribecca, Nobu57 in my opinion is better than the one down in Tribecca, Spice Market DH loved but not my fav as I'm not a fan of asian fusion, I think Daniel has gone a bit down hill and won't go back there, we remembered it as being better.

Had my hair done from my hairdresser, got my facial and eyebrows done from my usual place there and did my favorite passtime shopping.

Best news was that the cardiologist I saw said my heart was fine. This was happy news, gave me something as he feels it is GERD which is better than a heart problem so I was extremely happy.

On a sad note, the hotel we always stay at The Drake Swissotel will be closed as of the end of this month. DH and I enjoyed that hotel, we knew a lot of the staff and always enjoyed the hotel, oh well. It will be torn down and turned into a 70 story condo bldg.

so far 9 hotels have closed to be turned into condos.

Shopping is always fantastic in NYC.

What I noticed on the streets of NYC were a lot of trench coats. A lot of jeans, jeans are everywhere and very fashionable and trendy. A lot of big oversized bags. We had great weather and it was a great trip.

I remember someone asking for a car and driver and I took the name of the one I used which I would recommend as being reliable actually I used two different ones as on one day one was not available so I used another one, both of which are reliable.

Just remember to leave enough time when going out especially to the theatre as Broadway just seems to be more congested than ever, something to do with construction on 8th Ave and the traffic going down broadway is just awful, 20 min to go about 10 blocks.

Someone asked about Abercombie and Fitch, and I believe it is on 54th st or 56th st and 5th AVe right on the corner as I kept passing it when I was going back to the hotel. And yes, there is a Sephora in Times Square area as I think someone asked about that as well.

Hi MrsMoose, your trip sounds wonderful and GREAT news about your heart!

I love the Drake and am sorry to hear that it will close down. I have always found it to be elegant and with great service as well, in a quiet area. Sad...

Your girl day with Jane sounds like fun! I can't wait to get to the city as I am having withdrawals!

Welcome home!

Thanks ladies. I had a great time, did some great shopping, got some nice spring things but the best money spent was at the cardiologist and the best part was getting the good news that my heart is ok for now. I was so scared and nervous, sometimes happy shopping comes in other forms too:) (I had to shop for a cardiologist before I went down since I no longer live there and thankfully I shopped well on that one at least).

Caviargal, yes, we always stayed there, and we were always satisfied. Oh well, it was sad, we knew a few of the employees because of the amount of time we stayed there, some have been there for over 20 years.

The Fauchon manager said he isn't sure what they will do. They are staying in NYC he said but he doesn't know where they will go.

Welcome home Mrs Moose,

I'm glad the drive home went smoothly. Yes it was so great spending time with you - both on our "girls day out shopping" as well as dinner with the DH's.

My coat is hard to desecribe. It's a heavy white cotton that has green and yellow leaves embroidered all over it and each leaf is outlined by gold thread. Then there is a different cotton fabric in sage green that goes around the whole coat on every edge as well as the side seams. It's a simple shape but a very complicated fabric. It's a new piece for this Spring and it's very unusual and very stylish, however, it's not trendy so I think I'll be able to wear it for many years.

YOU too always look fabulous! I *loved* your embroidered jeans with the Tod's flats and your new hair style. Very "in". And I love all the pieces you bought, especially the buttery soft sage green suede jacket and the watercolor print linen skirt. Wear all your things in good health!

BTW all, Mrs Moose was my shopping consultant for the high heeled black shoes. When she saw them on me, she agreed that though strappy, they look good with hose! However, she doesn't like nailheads on shoes and so just didn't like the shoes. I didn't buy them, but I'm still debating about them in my head. I'm not an impulsive buyer. Now that Spring has come to NY and I'm finally out of boots and into sandals, I'll put my summer looks together and see if those shoes fit in the picture.

MrsMoose,

Enjoy your new things and thanks for spending time together. It was loads of fun!

Jane

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm headed back up the end of May for a baby shower and to take two of my clients shopping for wedding dresses at Vera Wang (9AM and 10:30AM back to back appointments since they want to sit in on each others appointment).

Hate that NYC is losing another hotel. I'm still upset about The Regent Wall Street, The Mayflower (only reasonable Central Park view in the city), The Plaza, and The Stanhope. Sigh.

Jane, the coat sounds gorgeous!

Congrats on your heart news MrsMoose! How wonderful and I'm sure it is a load off your shoulders!

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm headed back up the end of May for a baby shower and to take two of my clients shopping for wedding dresses at Vera Wang.

I want your job!

Hate that NYC is losing another hotel. I'm still upset about The Regent Wall Street, The Mayflower (only reasonable Central Park view in the city), The Plaza, and The Stanhope. Sigh.

Didn't know about the Regent Wall Street. What are they doing with that property?

Didn't know about the Regent Wall Street. What are they doing with that property?

Jane, the Regent Wall Street closed in 2003 and was one of the first to be transformed into condos!:mad:

Downtown is my favorite area to stay in so I was kinda bummed. Not sure what the name is now but I think it is next door to Trump Wall Street.

Don't be too sure you want my job (my part time one that is). These are my first brides and I have them both at the same time! Yikes! They are friends and both will be 42 when they get married; first time for both.

Looking forward to Vera Wang. Her trunk show is May 6th I believe.

Blue Heron,

I generally don't go down to the Financial District and so I don't know it very well. Tribeca is usually my furthest south point.

However, I did have a fantastic dinner one night this winter at Roy's New York. The original is in Hawaii and it's japanese/hawaiian fusion. It's located in the Marriott Center on Washington St. I highly recommend it.

Jane

Blue Heron,

I generally don't go down to the Financial District and so I don't know it very well. Tribeca is usually my furthest south point.

However, I did have a fantastic dinner one night this winter at Roy's New York. The original is in Hawaii and it's japanese/hawaiian fusion. It's located in the Marriott Center on Washington St. I highly recommend it.

Jane

I love Roys and I've eaten there a couple of times! I'm a big history nerd which is why I think I like that area so much!

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm headed back up the end of May for a baby shower and to take two of my clients shopping for wedding dresses at Vera Wang (9AM and 10:30AM back to back appointments since they want to sit in on each others appointment).

Jane, the coat sounds gorgeous!

Congrats on your heart news MrsMoose! How wonderful and I'm sure it is a load off your shoulders!

Yes, thank you it is a big load off my shoulders and mind. That was the best shopping of all (yes I shopped for a cardiologist before I went down).

I never go to the financial district. I go to a couple of restos in Tribecca and that's about it. I enjoy Soho.

Enjoy your trip up to NYC I hope you have a fantastic time, safe, happy healthy travels.

The Mark is gone too. As I was told it's cheaper and easier to turn a hotel into condos than an existing apartment. Actually I think it's better for the residents as well, less displacement.

I heard that it cost them millions to get the last 3 (I think they said 3) residents out of the Mayfair. For the Drake, I hear they will tear the whole thing down, not just do conversions.

Although the Plaza will have a small hotel that will repon I think it will be run by Fairmont Hotels from what I'm told.

I love Roys and I've eaten there a couple of times! I'm a big history nerd which is why I think I like that area so much!

Ate in Blaue Gans today on Duane Steet. Terrific Austrian food and nice bar at night.

Glad you already know Roys. Figured you did.

I am sorry to hear you have heart problems too! My mother died after having open heart surgy in 1998. She had diabetes also-like me-so that is a big worry of mine-but so far my heart is great. I dothe stress test thing every other year.

My eyes are still great too-another problem Mom had because of her diabetes. She had cataracts, glaucoma and those extra blood vessels thingies that many people with diabetes get- all before the age of 56.

So far the only bad diabetes related thing I have is the nerve damage-I hope nothing else develops andnothing shouldn't as I am keeping my blood sugar great now!

Do you exercise regularly? I walk every day and have been told that is the best thing I can do to prevent my nerve damage from getting worse and also for my heart-if you don't exercise-start off slowly-like a 10 minute walk twice a day-and work up until you can walk an hour a day. I walk 30 minutes- twice a day-almost every day.

I am sorry to hear you have heart problems too! My mother died after having open heart surgy in 1998. She had diabetes also-like me-so that is a big worry of mine-but so far my heart is great. I dothe stress test thing every other year.

My eyes are still great too-another problem Mom had because of her diabetes. She had cataracts, glaucoma and those extra blood vessels thingies that many people with diabetes get- all before the age of 56.

So far the only bad diabetes related thing I have is the nerve damage-I hope nothing else develops andnothing shouldn't as I am keeping my blood sugar great now!

Do you exercise regularly? I walk every day and have been told that is the best thing I can do to prevent my nerve damage from getting worse and also for my heart-if you don't exercise-start off slowly-like a 10 minute walk twice a day-and work up until you can walk an hour a day. I walk 30 minutes- twice a day-almost every day.

Thankfully I don't have a heart problem. I thought I did and hence my reason for wanting to see a cariologist. Thankfully he said my hear touch wood is ok. He thinks I have GERD which is a lot easier to handle than a heart condition.

I'm sorry for your health issues, I wish you the best of health.

Well, MrsMoose, we usually visit NYC in April each year, but this year plans have been altered. :( So glad to hear the wonderful diagnosis!

There's a Roy's here in Baltimore....very nice. ;)

Thank you for your good wishes sorry you didn't get your annual NYC trip, maybe you can make it at a later date.

Thankfully I don't have a heart problem. I thought I did and hence my reason for wanting to see a cariologist. Thankfully he said my hear touch wood is ok. He thinks I have GERD which is a lot easier to handle than a heart condition.

I'm sorry for your health issues, I wish you the best of health.

You were smart to have it checked-often Drs. are not as tuned to women having heart problems.

You would not believe it but my mothers diabetes Dr. had NEVER sent her to a cardilogist-not only that but he had her on prescription meds. for "indigestion"- by the time they realized it was Mom's heart-the heart Dr. estimated she had had heart diease for at least 10 years! too late for angiplasty and as it turned out- too late for a bypass.

I recently met a woman in her late forties who had to have angiplasty in March and she does NOT have diabetes. I think every woman should go for a stress test by the time she is 50-maybe even earlier if she smokes or has diabetes.

glad you were smart and was checked-but also glad it was nothing bad-you have had enough on your plate already!

Ate in Blaue Gans today on Duane Steet. Terrific Austrian food and nice bar at night.

Glad you already know Roys. Figured you did.

Jane, trivia question: do you know offhand if Blaue Gans is owned by the same owner who had Vienna 79 years ago? That was a wonderful restaurant, but unfortunately it closed. He also owned Vienna Park in NYC.

Esther

You were smart to have it checked-often Drs. are not as tuned to women having heart problems.

You would not believe it but my mothers diabetes Dr. had NEVER sent her to a cardilogist-not only that but he had her on prescription meds. for "indigestion"- by the time they realized it was Mom's heart-the heart Dr. estimated she had had heart diease for at least 10 years! too late for angiplasty and as it turned out- too late for a bypass.

I recently met a woman in her late forties who had to have angiplasty in March and she does NOT have diabetes. I think every woman should go for a stress test by the time she is 50-maybe even earlier if she smokes or has diabetes.

glad you were smart and was checked-but also glad it was nothing bad-you have had enough on your plate already!

Thank you, I'm sorry about your mom, truely sorry. Yes, I can believe that a woman needed angioplasty in late 40's. Thank you for the good wishes and good thoughts. A friend (male) had his first heart attack at age 38, had a tripple bypass in his 40's wears a pacemaker now, but at least he is still alive at age 63 now and lives actively. He had to make major lifestyle changes and he did. He lost a tremendous amount of weight and exercises. His dad passed at age 40 of heart disease he was sure he would not make it but thankfully he did.

You take care of yourself too. You have a lot to deal with as well regarding health.

Jane, trivia question: do you know offhand if Blaue Gans is owned by the same owner who had Vienna 79 years ago? That was a wonderful restaurant, but unfortunately it closed. He also owned Vienna Park in NYC.

Esther

Chef is Kurt Gutenbrunner who's main restaurant is Wallse on W. 11th Street. See the website for Kurt's "pedigree". www.Wallse.com Blaue Gans only recently opened (formally the Le Zinc space) so there's not much about it yet on the website.

Kurt did not own Vienna 79 as it's not mentioned on the website. Before Wallse, he was an exec chef for David Bouley (my favorite chef).

"New York, New York, a H_ll of a town, the Bronx is up and the Batteries down, New York, New York, a H_ll of Town!!!!"

Now who wrote those lyrics, was is early Steven Sondhiem???

Well anyway sound like a wonderful trip to New York. So glad you had a great time.

I've only been to New York one time, about 20 years ago when I went for a long weekend to visit my friend who went to college in Terry Town. We went into the big city for one day and saw as much as we could on a college student budget.

Archived