birth "registration " card???

hello, we are going on our 1st time cruise next wed 4 days SOV OF THE SEAS to Bahamas, it is me and Dh and 2 boys ages 3 and 7. I have copies from Health DEPT for the boys (just got them today) they are certified copies w seal, etc. DH and I both have laminated cards that are credit card size....we got them in 1997. they no longer make these in our county but the lady said a lot still use them as BIRTH CERTIFICATEs....I asked ou TA and she recommeded getting the paper form ones, but at 25 a piece, I would rather not.

so I called RC, and asked 3 diff ladies and they all said NO PROBLEMS, as long as seal, etc. one lady even read off of CUSTOMS site, that it says on it, birth certicates or cards w SEAL.

all the info is the exact same as my SONS new copy. name, bday, bplace, sex, filed date, issued date, father andmother: and then says

THIS IS A TRUE CERTIFICTION OF NAME AND BIRTH FACTS RECORDED IN THIS OFFICE< and signed by local registrar.

then on back has a GOLD STICKER RAISED SEAL (identical to my sons)

so does anyone use this???

I would love to hear others use this type all the time..thanks for all input@!! :)

Lots of people mistake the "registration" card for the birth certificate. They are not the same. One is issued by the county, the other by the state. In fact, you have to send in the "registration" to the state to obtain the birth certificate. You may not be allowed on the ship. But, of course, if you are allowed on the ship, you will have saved $25.00 each.

You may not need the "official" certificates for this cruise, but you'll need to shell out the $25 for those certificates when you apply for your passport for next year! If you can keep track of them for that long, you won't be "out" the $50.00.

hello, we are going on our 1st time cruise next wed 4 days SOV OF THE SEAS to Bahamas, it is me and Dh and 2 boys ages 3 and 7. I have copies from Health DEPT for the boys (just got them today) they are certified copies w seal, etc. DH and I both have laminated cards that are credit card size....we got them in 1997. they no longer make these in our county but the lady said a lot still use them as BIRTH CERTIFICATEs....I asked ou TA and she recommeded getting the paper form ones, but at 25 a piece, I would rather not.

so I called RC, and asked 3 diff ladies and they all said NO PROBLEMS, as long as seal, etc. one lady even read off of CUSTOMS site, that it says on it, birth certicates or cards w SEAL.

all the info is the exact same as my SONS new copy. name, bday, bplace, sex, filed date, issued date, father andmother: and then says

THIS IS A TRUE CERTIFICTION OF NAME AND BIRTH FACTS RECORDED IN THIS OFFICE< and signed by local registrar.

then on back has a GOLD STICKER RAISED SEAL (identical to my sons)

so does anyone use this???

I would love to hear others use this type all the time..thanks for all input@!! :)

You need the real thing, not some little card. If you want to chance it and save $50, good luck to you.

The following is right off the RCL document requirements section:

In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original, notarized copy or certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required.

Since we didn't travel with our kids when they were young, the local beach, shore was our vacation of choice, we didn't need their birth certificates until they played competitive sports at the age of 5. You will need it for little league or boy scouts, so suck it up and get them now.

hi, thanks so much for your replies, yes we already have our kids from school ,etc.....so tomorrow I am going to go and get the paper ones from the health dept....I would much better be safe then sorry :)

thanks for the advice :)

I had a "registry of birth" and it is not the same. For years I crossed the US-Canadian border with it with no problems. But when I applied for a passport, the register of deeds said "no". I had to fork over to the website agency that locates birth certificates filed in our state capital. I thought all was lost cuz I'm adopted but after $36, I got my birth certificate, and now I have my passport. So if the check in people don't know the difference (and I bet they don't), you're all set.

I'm not sure if you have the same thing I do. Mine is also laminated and credit card sized. It is a smaller version of my birth certificate. I am looking at it right now, and it says, "Marion County Health Department Division of Health and Hospital Corp. Certificate of Birth Registration." It does not have a raised seal, but the seal is stamped on it. I use it every time we cruise, with no problems whatsoever. So does my DH. We just got off the AOS two weeks ago. If yours is truly a birth certificate, you will be fine.

granger mom, soudns like we have the same thing...I am just so confused!!! LOL....

I know when I got this in 1997 I paid extra because I thought it would be nice and handy....

it says BIRTH REGISTRATION CARD

DIVISION OF VITAL STATIISTICS ALLEN COUNTY HEALTH DISTRICT

then all the info....

I wish I could know for sure what it is...

A laminated credit card size certificate is NOT proof of citizenship. Don't be cheap here folks. How much did you shell out for this vacation? That's right, a lot. Get to the pier and they don't take your proof of ID your vacation goes, "Poof!" No insurance will cover you for not taking a required document.

Yea it is better to be safe.

I went last year with my passport, it was expiring while we were cruising, about 2 days before we returned. I didnt think about it until it was too late, but grabbed my BC just in case. Sure enough, got to the pier to checkin and was told no go because my passport was expiring while on the ship, I whipped out my BC and the guy laughed and said good thing you are smart enough to come prepared. I had thought in the past they would take passports even expired ones, as long as it had only expired in the last so many months. I have it renewed now so no worries.

Take the BC's with you, but try it with the cards and see what happens. I like to do little tests like that just to see what is allowed. Then if they say no, you pull out the BC's and all is good.

Yea it is better to be safe.

I went last year with my passport, it was expiring while we were cruising, about 2 days before we returned. I didnt think about it until it was too late, but grabbed my BC just in case. Sure enough, got to the pier to checkin and was told no go because my passport was expiring while on the ship, I whipped out my BC and the guy laughed and said good thing you are smart enough to come prepared. I had thought in the past they would take passports even expired ones, as long as it had only expired in the last so many months. I have it renewed now so no worries.

For caribbean travel the US will accept a passport that is expired, I believe by no more than 6 months. I can't get the (*$#) site to come up to check. There may be a recent change.

That is what I thought too, so was not too worried but took the BC to be safe. They actually told me the computer would not allow the passport since it was expiring before the end of the cruise and if I had not had my BC they were going to deny me boarding. Im a TA and always thought until the new law went in you could use the expired passport. Apparantly RCCL had other ideas. This was just last October it happened so has not been too long ago.

That is what I thought too, so was not too worried but took the BC to be safe. They actually told me the computer would not allow the passport since it was expiring before the end of the cruise and if I had not had my BC they were going to deny me boarding. Im a TA and always thought until the new law went in you could use the expired passport. Apparantly RCCL had other ideas. This was just last October it happened so has not been too long ago.

AHA! I have the answer for you. It's not the government that did not allow it but the cruiseline. The cruiselines do not have to put anyone onboard unless they agree to do so. In this case it looks like they have a policy about expiring passports. That's why some of them are moving to require passports before the government does.

For everyone saying that the laminated credit card size are not "TRUE PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP" you are WRONG!!!

I have a credit card sized birth certificate, which I got directly at the town hall I was born at, it has a raised seal just like the larger size, and all the same information. It is "a true certified birth certificate" just a smaller size to make travel easier. I have it laminated although you can still see and feel the seal.

I HAVE USED THIS FOR ALL 7 CRUISES I HAVE BEEN ON AND IT HAS BEEN FINE!!!!!

What matters is the raised seal... if it has a seal it is "certified" and that is what customs is looking for.

~Jen

Of course by now you are travelling with a passport. No doubt.

But I just wanted to speak on birth certificates from here. Years ago our wallet sized birth certificates were laminated by the government. These birth certificiates are legal. New birth certificates issued now are paper, like our money. Lots of people want to laminate them for durability. However, once you laminate it, it is no longer legal.:eek: Just wanted to share this information.

What is going on here? You really have me confused. I have a Certificate of Birth Registration. At the top is the State I live in, County and District court. The certificate has a raised seal and signed by clerk of the district court.

I have used this Certificate of Birth Registraion for 17 cruises. I am leaving Saturday. No way I can get a copy of orignal by then.

Are you telling me I can't board the ship?

A passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended as it will speed-up your check-in formalities as well as your departure procedures with government officials (if you would like to find out how to obtain a passport, you can do so at U.S Department of State Passport Services and Information website). In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original, notarized copy or certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required. A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship. Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID. Visas are not required for U.S. citizens.

The key here is notarized or certified. The small plastic versions are certified, thats why they have the stamp on them. Yes, its proof of citizenship. I was born here, this is my card saying as much. Thats what the card is for, not for the next sale at Filines.....

• 2 weeks later...

got back from my cruise and it was GREAT!!!!! just wanted to update, that even tho I did bring both PAPER BIRTH CERT also, just using the CARDS was 100 percent fine......of course next yr we need passports, but absolutely NO PROBLEMS>>>>the lady said"thats a brith certifcate" jsut wanted to update...

Archived