Solo Dining in Specialty Restaurants

momm4544

I'll be sailing July 9 on the Mariner with my two teenage children. I would like to experience Portofino's and don't expect my children wanting to join me. Anyone have experience dining solo in Portofino's? Does Portofino's have a bar where I could have my meal?

Thanks.

I've been wondering close to the same. I'm sailing solo on the Crown Princess in July, and have been wondering about dining solo in the specialty restaurants. Most of them I've been to don't have bars for dining, and for some reason taking a book into such a nice restaurant seems inappropriate. Am I off base in my thinking? Is a book at the table in such a nice restaurant not appropriate?

I was wondering also...will be on the EOS in May, and want to dine at Chops. But can't figure how to fit it in. Only a four day cruise....not the first night, because you want to meet people, and dining has always been a great experience for me ! Second day is formal night, best food in dining room....third day is Cozumel, and we don't have to be back on the ship til 7:30pm. The last was reccommended, but then how do you say Good-Bye and tip ?? Don't say Breakfast, THAT will not happen. LOL, if these are the things I worry about.

I've eaten at the specialty dining rooms by myself and sat at a table. I was treated appropriately..why would you want to eat at the bar? Taking a book...well....why not...it's your dinner....I never thought of that. The last time I ate at a specialty restaurant..was on Carnival Glory and they faced my away from the centre of the room.....my back was to the centre of the room, and I had the wonderful view of the elevators. Now, that I found strange. Maybe they felt that I would be more comfortable not looking at couples.....it didn't bother me....I have lots of conversation in my head, LOL.

Enjoy your dinners, they are very good.

I'll be sailing July 9 on the Mariner with my two teenage children. I would like to experience Portofino's and don't expect my children wanting to join me. Anyone have experience dining solo in Portofino's? Does Portofino's have a bar where I could have my meal?

I've never dined solo at the specialty restaurant on HAL, but then that's not to say I wouldn't have if the need arose.

Once you are onboard, see if one night your regular table companions in the main dining room would be interested in an evening at Portofino's. Most likely they will want to join you and you won't have to dine there alone.

I sailed solo on the Amsterdam this past January for 30 days. There was no way I was passing up the Pinnacle Grill even if I did have to dine there solo. Well, passing it up wasn't necessary. My regular dining room table companions and I enjoyed dinner there four nights over that 30 day cruise, including one dinner that the cruise director's staff organized specifically for the single and solo cruisers.

I doubt you'll need to dine alone. And, even if you do ... so what? I dine alone here at home all the time. Heck if I'm gonna miss a good meal just because someone doesn't wish to join me. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I had dinner in the specialty resturant when I was on the Oosterdam. I got glam up and went to dinner. My only request, don't seat me in the middle of the room!!

The dinner was great!! I think everyone came over to make sure that I was enjoying my dinner. I even got something special from the chef with my dinner.

I'm going on the Miracle this coming Sunday and one of the first things that I'm going to do is book me one night in the specialty resturant.

Also for the price that the ships charge and compare it to a resturant back home, you are getting a great rate!!

On my last HAL cruise I wanted to dine at Pinnacle but was apprehensive because I never dined alone before in a specialty restaurant. I approached the maitre'd and asked whether there were other solos who had reservations and might want company. It happened that there was a lady dining alone that night. He called her and asked her whether she wanted company and she said yes. I ended up having lunch with a very nice lady who was also sailing solo. We both loved the dinner and enjoyed each other's company. My next cruise is a 30-day Tahiti/Hawaii cruise and I hope to dine at Pinnacle at least three or four times. If I have company, fine, if not, I'm going anyhow.

I'm recently off the Carnival Miracle. I had dinner in Nick & Nora's one night. It was great, the service was excellent and I didn't feel odd being alone. I brought a book to enjoy, but only read a few pages because the food was so great!!

You all will probably think I'm crazy but I love to dine alone. My favorite is Freestyle. I just ask for a table for one and I'm seated at a table for two (don't care where in the dining room). I never take a book - I'm a people watcher. If I'm not eating I'm usually looking around and when people look at me (sometimes with a perplexed look on their face) I just smile and sometimes nod. Traditional dining is fine too. Usually have good tablemates. Only once was I dissatisfied, didn't make a big deal out of it, just went to the buffet (it was waiter service) after the first night. I have never had bad service and everyone always very nice and accomodating. Don't be afraid to give it a try.

Chris

Chris...I know how you feel...I enjoy dining alone as well. Even with freestyle...when seated with others....someone usually says....okay..let's give our name and where we're from...etc.....I feel awkward giving all that information. I know the person is trying to be friendly and hospitable...but it bothers me. A little bit of information usually leads to alot more questions until sometimes I feel like I had to defend myself. Why can't we just chat about the weather and the port, etc without having to divulge personal information. Perhaps I'm wrong in my thinking....but I'd rather eat alone in the buffet than feel awkward in the dining room.

• 2 weeks later...

on my last hal cruise, one of mt dinner companions wanted to go to the pinacle but didn't want to go alone. she asked me to join her and i did. generally by mid-cruise, you can find someone to go with you.

and if i ever went alone and they tried to sit me with mr back to the room, i woul change chairs so i could people watch

Like ChrisM444 and ladysail2 I like dining on my own and did so at Le Bistro three times last summer--it was an 11 day cruise in Alaska. The first time I dined there on my own took on almost comic proportions in that the waitress (a very, very nice young lady) and the maitre'd both kept coming to my table and asking if I wanted my plate removed. I thought they assumed I wanted a nice dinner but wanted it quickly because I was alone. The waitress (on the third attempt) finally said if I didn't give up my plate my main course would be delayed--poor woman was new and almost in tears, she thought she wasn't providing proper service. I assured her that I was fine, the service was great and I could wait a little bit longer for my main course; the restaurant was only about 50% full. The maitre'd had also made 3-4 trips over to ask if I wanted my plate removed. I felt like I was guarding my plate, LOL. By the second visit all had settled down. Each time I was there I was seated in the middle of the room, which was o.k. with me as it was nearer the dessert display.

• 4 weeks later...

Had to laugh when I read your post.:D

I had some similar experiences last year on the Galaxy's Panama Canal cruise. In the buffet, if I would get up to refresh my iced tea or maybe get a second helping, the waiters zoomed in like vultures to clear my table. I finally told one of them if he took my plate again I was going to BITE HIS HAND!!

They left me alone after that. I'm sure they concurred that was why I was eating solo.

Jen

Had to laugh when I read your post.:D

I had some similar experiences last year on the Galaxy's Panama Canal cruise. In the buffet, if I would get up to refresh my iced tea or maybe get a second helping, the waiters zoomed in like vultures to clear my table. I finally told one of them if he took my plate again I was going to BITE HIS HAND!!

They left me alone after that. I'm sure they concurred that was why I was eating solo.

Jen

Jen,

LOL!! You are too funny! That is the problem with dining on your own, step away for a second and you come back to your stuff gone. I've tried everything to make the servers realize I was coming back to no avail. One morning at the buffet I went to get more coffee and came back and not only had my table been cleared but other people were sitting there! I couldn't stop laughing because one of the servers was the same waitress I had the problem with at Le Bistro! I'm standing there coffee in hand and laughing my head off; people thought I was nuts. I just took my coffee and left. From then on I ate breakfast in the main dining room.

I can understand the predicament.....I try to take a book or my glasses or something...and inform the wandering waiter in the buffet that I am coming back...please do not remove my plate....and it has worked every time. If no waiter has been around for a while.....I look around at the other folks, and if someone looks like they will be there for a few more minutes...I'll ask them to keep an eye on my table....that works too. People are glad to help out.

If I'm eating alone in the buffet and it starts to become crowded....and if someone is standing close by with their meal...I'll ask if they want to sit with me.....it's also a nice way to chat with someone.

That's what I find about cruisers.....they are for the most part, so nice, friendly, helpful and happy.

I've been wondering close to the same. I'm sailing solo on the Crown Princess in July, and have been wondering about dining solo in the specialty restaurants. Most of them I've been to don't have bars for dining, and for some reason taking a book into such a nice restaurant seems inappropriate. Am I off base in my thinking? Is a book at the table in such a nice restaurant not appropriate?

I don't think it is inappropriate. If you were with someone else, then the book would be rude but by yourself, see it as your company for the meal.

Speciality Restaurants have very good service, you may not even need your book, maybe you can chat a few seconds each time you see your server, enjoy looking at the busy waiters offering the best service and at the great food plates being served around you.

I also have been solo to the supper Clubs on my ships (see below). The only one I did not try was the Summit because my tablemates were very good and none of us went except the couple celebrating 50 years. I've been sat so that I did not face the majority of the people but I always had a view of the window (so I could watch the sun set).

I dined "solo" at the specialty restaurants on both the Carnival Spirit & the Carnival Miracle last year. Both meals were EXCELLENT, and the ambiance was very upscale. Even though I was the only "solo" in the restaurant, I never felt out of place. Everyone there from the hostess, to the waiter to the maitradi & bartender went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and had a nice dining experience.

In my opinion, I don't think anyone should NOT treat themselves to dining at the specialty restaurant simply because they're a "solo". It's a WONDERFUL dining experience. Don't miss it.

Happy sailing.

Annie

I finally told one of them if he took my plate again I was going to BITE HIS HAND!!

I love it! What we need is little tent card signs that say "DON'T CLEAR MY TABLE - I'M AT THE BUFFET" or even the old airline standby "OCCUPIED"

Archived