Xpedition Trip Report

SMNYCruise

We were on the April 9th Xpedition cruise. Overall, it was an amazing adventure. The Marriot Hotel was much nicer than expected. Beautiful lobby and pool area with a nice restaurant and responsive staff. We enjoyed the tour of Quito. Don't miss dinner at the Opera house on the last night. Beautiful setting and a great meal. We came home with over 800 photos and amazing video. In my opinion, the best hikes were the high intensity at North Seymour Island, and the high intensity hike on Espanola Island and the high intensity hike on Fernandina Island. These activities are definately in the "not to be missed" category. We went on all the advanced snorkeling activities which we enjoyed. The only activity I would not recommend is the visit to the Interpretation Center and stop in the town of Puerto Baquerizo. Not impressive and since we arrive early, none of the stores were open. The staff on the ship, expecially the housekeeping and dining room staff were incredible. Always trying to please. The food was good (not great).

Unfortunately, at least half the passengers on our cruise were sick during part of the week (one woman was sick for most of it). Several people needed shots from the doctor. During a visit to the Highlands, a bus had to return to the ship early because so many passengers were throwing up. My husband said that he has never been so sick in his life. The people who got sick were not all elderly. Many were in their 40's and 50's. Not sure what Celebrity can do differently. They have hand sanitizers on the boad and hand wipes in the cabins. Unfortunately, they must get the food from local sources. Also, the ship never docks and food is transported on rafts in coolers. Not sure if the refrigeration is adequate. Most people I met had taken immodium during the week.

Despite the illnesses, I would still recommend this cruise. It is a unique and wonderful adventure. Please post any questions and I will try to answer.

Thank you for your report. I'll note your recommendations for the 'not to be missed' excursions. Was another excursion offered instead of Puerto Baquerizo?

About the GI illnesses, do you think it was a Norovirus, food poisoning or just plain ole travelers' diarreha? Did you or your husband take the Pepto bismol tablets? I think the only way Celebrity is going to do anything is if this is reported to customer service. I can tell you that the reservation and sales staff claims not to know about any illnesses.

Your report pretty much duplicated our experience the week before. We, too, were quite disappointed with the Interpretation Center stop.

I agree that the first two stops, North Seymour Island and Espanola Island were the best of the trip, too. Kind of sad because the it created a letdown on the others that was obvious.

The extreme snorkeling at San Cristobal was cancelled on our cruise due to high waves and currents.

I don't know what to think about the illness either. What I had was most likely NOT Norovirus. The diarrhea was relatively mild and I never vomited. I am more inclined to believe it was food related. Some people, though, were much more sick and that could have been the virus.

My husband and I have concluded that using the hand sanitizers before going through a buffet doesn't protect you at all. It protects the other cruisers FROM you. To protect yourself you have to use something after getting your food but before eating.

The crew couldn't have been nicer or more attentive. We are already trying to decide when to go back.

Kamper--there was no other activity offered in place of Puerto Ayora. I would recommend that people stay on the boat since after the interpretation center, you are stuck in the town for quite a while before transfers back to the ship are available. There is an early zodiac ride that morning (7am) to Kicker Rock which was great. Several zodiacs saw whales.

I am not sure what kind of "sickness" people got. It was much more than travelers diarrhea. I personally saw many people vomiting. Since most of the hikes were 2-3 hours in lenght and no bathrooms are available on the islands, even a mild sickness can be a problem on this trip. The ships doctor was not forthcoming about the amount of passengers who were sick. Her standard line was "there are only two women sick and they are better now".

Hmmm, I wonder what is different about the Darwin Research Center now (is that what you mean when you say Interpretation Center? We enjoyed our visit there...it was only a 1/2 day stop, the shops were all open and many had good buys for souvenirs and hiking clothers (same brand that the naturalists wore). We bought $2 miniatures of many of the animals that we saw which are so much fun to have at home and give as 'grandchildren' gifts. Tee shirts were good quality and some had very nice designs. Galleries and jewelry were nice to view.

Sorry to hear about the illness problem. Thought that one had been settled some time ago. The possible causes are so varied that it's hard to guess at what it might have been. Sad to hear that part of your trip was ruined.

Hi Shelia (and any others),

An earlier thread mentioned that the itinerary is going to change in June. Does Joyce's trip sound very different from yours? I'm wondering if the changes--or some of them--have already been made. I know that we have no guarantees for ports/stops on any cruise on any cruiseline anywhere but was hoping our cruise (May 26) would be approximately the same as the one you and others have described so wonderfully. I also hope the illness onboard is cleared up again asap! The cruise costs a great deal and is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most of us, and it's shame to lose a day to any illness that might be controllable. Thanks, Emma

Emma,

Actually that's the only difference that I noted. Someone else who sailed recently might have better info. Celebrity can't just make major changes in the Galapagos - they are restricted to certain islands AND all of them have wonderful animal, plant and typography sights. So I wouldn't worry about this change affecting the quality of your trip. Suggest you read previous posts about prophylaxis regarding illness/and recommended meds. I've posted in several places and going to the http://www.cdc.gov/travel Web site is a good place for info. Note: there are no guarantees, I got 'it' , too, for a short time but PeptoBismal pre-cruise and to deal with symptoms worked well for me. I KNOW you'll love the trip!

We had an incredible time. We were very fortunate - I don't think anyone got sick that I am aware of. There was one passenger that suffered from depression that stayed in her cabin a lot but there was no outward signs of any type of digestive problem. I ate everything - fruit, juices, vegetables, salad and never had an issue.

In fact there is not a thing I would have wanted to change. We met the most incredible people onboard and had such fun getting to know them and experiencing the islands together. The naturalists were wonderful. In fact my husband wants to write a letter to Celebrity to compliment these wonderful people.

I will write a review once I have time.

I didn't want to leave - I could have stayed a few more days.

Karen,

So good to hear that your trip mirrored ours. It's wonderful to know that no matter which naturalists are onboard, they are all wonderfully knowledgeable and great people to get to know. I stay glued to Xpedition boards so that I constantly get a 'natural high' hearing about the place and trip that we loved so much. We look forward to reading more about your trip.

Bunnybear, you were indeed lucky to have a trip on which nobody got sick.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Pepto therapy and being relatively careful works for us during our June trip. I suspect that some of the people who get the most sick have never been to these boards or done much research and so set themselves up for illness. Of course, I'm sure it's not true in all cases but we know that knowledge is always helpful.

Hi - So sorry to hear there was illness on your trip. Ours, in early December, incredible and we knew of only one person who became ill. She was in her 20's and was fine the next day. This is truly the trip of a lifetime.

I have read about everything on the expedion trips and have not seen anything about being or getting seasick?? I do just fine on the large ships and even weathered a big storn in alaska last year. But since the expedition is 290 feet and I have not been able to find out anything on the sea conditions in late April (that is when we are going in 2007) was wondering about getting seasick.

Thanks for any insight on this. :confused:

Mike and Emily,

Only a few people got seadick and for only a short time. The water was quite calm most of the time. We take Bonine before boarding on every cruise. With time changes, excitement about the trip, changes in sleep and activity patterns, etc...it just makes sense to us to assume that we need something at the beginning. Usually by the 2nd day, I don't take anything but keep it handy just in case. The once a day type means never forgetting...I usually take it at night and stop when I'm comfortable that it's not needed OR continue if I feel the least bit queasy. Just my way...most people didn't need anything.

Hi - Don't worry about feeling seasick. I have to admit that I felt the ship rocking and rolling the first night onboard. I did NOT get seasick though. After that, you're so exhausted and pumped up from the day's experiences that you will never notice. :)

Not sure if this is correct, but a crew member told us that when the Xpedition is in dry dock this fall, there will be stablizers added to prevent some of the movement. April is known for calmer waters, however we felt lots of movement during our recent trip.

Not sure if this is correct, but a crew member told us that when the Xpedition is in dry dock this fall, there will be stablizers added to prevent some of the movement.

Joyce - do you know if the drydock is scheduled for September? I wonder if they'll serve their suspension at that time?

We were fortunate to have dinner with two of the naturalists. I just inquired what was going to happen regarding the suspension.

Number one - the newspaper article information was not completely true on how the fishing incident took place. The cooks were not the ones that caught the fish. They indeed took a picture to send to family but the fish were caught by others on the ship. Those "employees" were quickly removed from the ship as well as the captain being reassigned.

Number two - the current park service head is currently on his way out of office and the newly elected one will probably not want to uphold the suspension. Celebrity is too big of a player in the Galapagos market to shut them down for 9 weeks of cruising. The park receives the $100 per person fee, plus the money that is spent on souvenirs while in the park. Also, you will be told on the trip that if you donate to the Charles Darwin Foundation your donation will be matched for a future cruise credit. The islands will not want to loose the potential for $1000 of dollars during the suspension.

So my thoughts are the suspension will just fade away.

Please forgive me, but I only found this board within the last couple of months and don't know anything about the suspension. Fishing?

Most of the people on our cruise were experienced cruisers with various trips that have covered most of the world. Two ladies who both got sick had been on world cruises and an African safari. The knowledge level on how not to get sick may not have been as high as it might have been, but believe me, there weren't many novices. And as I have said, I'd estimate 90% of us got sick.

Both days that we were at Santa Cruz/Port Ayora the boat was rocking pretty hard. But like another poster said, you are so exhausted and pumped up that you barely notice it.

I completely agree with the OP about what the best excursions were. Espanola was my personal favorite. There are pictures, arranged by island, in the link in my signature.

The only reason to go to the interpretation center is if you need something from town. I desperately needed a hat. Otherwise I would just relax on board.

There were a few people sick on our cruise a month ago, but no vomiting. It was strictly cramping and diarrhea and was short lived. I've noticed posts that there has been illness on the large ships in the last few weeks also. That would tell me that people are bringing it with them and it's not just a Galapagos thing.

Hello!

Just this past week the Huz and I decided to book Xpedition to the Galapagos for sometime in late '07, so I popped in to read some reviews and get some tips. This business about illness has me on alert. We sailed the Constellation last summer and most of the ship caught a horrible upper respiratory thing. One lady even ended up in the hospital post-cruise!

We and our travel companions refer to that trip as the "Voyage of the Plague Ship" it was that bad...

So in the interest of a perfect Galapagos adventure, would somebody take a few minutes to review all the possible preventive measures?? Obviously the Bonine, we know about. But what should you be doing with pepto-bismol tablets?? :p Now, no comedy here please....this is serious....

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks a million guys.

Hi,

I understand your concern. I've answered this one before - see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=33052

Suggest that you go to the Xpedition Roll Call section and search through some of last year's trips...lots of good information from a bunch of us who think this is a trip of a lifetime and tried to share our experiences and suggestions for avoiding (or treating) problems. If you have other questions, please keep them coming. You will love this cruise.

Thanks so much Sheila,

I'll take your advice and comb through the old posts if I ever get a minute.

Quick question for you: Are the snorkel fins on the Xpedition full-foot or the back-strap type that can accomodate booties?

Hvae fun this summer in Alaska!

Mary Z.

Archived