Curious - how do you select your cruises

I am lucky enough to live in Florida about 45 minutes from the Tampa port! :) We have always cruised out of Tampa, but next month we'll be leaving from Port Canaveral. So, I'd say we pick cruises that leave out of FL and have only cruised Carnival--have no desire to try another cruise line yet!

WE look at the ports, yes I realize that these can change, but we look at time for the second option. Third is the ship. We have been on 4 Carnival ships and all were different it just so happens that we will cruise the Liberty again, and that was because of the Ports and the time of year,and we got a great deal.

We try to go to places that we have not been before. As we contine to cruise we know that we will see some ports again. If Carnival keeps adding more Europe we will have many options for many years to come.

Hey MAYBE they will add Australia or the Orient.

HMMMMMMM

The first is when can we cruise. My DW is a teacher so that limits the dates.

The next is how much will it cost. This can be adjusted by wheter we can drive to the port of departure or do we have to fly.

The next is where are we going. We've covered most of the Carb. now with a few popular ports left to discover. We're thinking about Alaska for the next spot (won't be driving to that port of departure.)

And finally, how long until we sail. That kind of depends on the second but the cost and time relationship does play into this factor.

Hi - I am going on my first cruise at the end of May. Very excited. I chose my specific cruise due to the timing.

I have been reading these boards for a awhile and I was curious how you usually choose your cruises.

Timeline

Itinerary

Specific ship

Cruiseline

Great price

What most often dictates your choice. To me it seems like the timeline is th easiest way to go. Otherwise there are so many choices it confuses the heck out of me.

Itinerary

First, we pick a range of dates (due to my work sched, there are only certain times of the year that I can take off).

Secondly, we look at the closest port first (how cool is it to debark and be home in fifteen minutes).

Third, we check to see if there are any large groups going on that particular cruise (we had our minds made up on 12/2/06 Glory Western for this year, but switched to 12/9/06 Glory Eastern when we learned there was a large group going on the 12/2/06).

Ports aren't that important to us. We've been to many of them, and always find new things to do each time we go. But if we miss a port, we don't let it ruin our vacation.

The first is when can we cruise. My DW is a teacher so that limits the dates.

The next is how much will it cost. This can be adjusted by wheter we can drive to the port of departure or do we have to fly.

The next is where are we going. We've covered most of the Carb. now with a few popular ports left to discover. We're thinking about Alaska for the next spot (won't be driving to that port of departure.)

And finally, how long until we sail. That kind of depends on the second but the cost and time relationship does play into this factor.

QUESTION FOR CORBINCATFAN,,,,,,,,,,,,,

CORBIN,,,,,,,,AS IN CORBIN KENTUCKY?????????

DO YOU LIVE IN CORBIN ??????

I have not had a chance to read all the replies yet. For us, it was simple this time around. We picked Carnival, as my youngest will turn 2 Aug 13th. We sail on the Valor Aug 20th. I have heard Carnival is the only cruiseline(Besides Disney)who will take kids as young as 2 in their camp Carnival and not potty trained. When I learned this, then we knew we had to stick with Carnival.

The 2nd was I picked a cruise with more port visits and less days at sea. I really wanted to see different places and have less "Fun days at sea".

Plus, we had to pick dates before the kids went back to school. I also wanted to cruise out of Miami or Ft Lauderdale, as my parents live in the Ft Lauderdale area. I figured we could visit with them before an dafter th cruise, so it was like killing 2 birds with one stone :)

PRICE;)

SHIP & ITINERARY:D

DATE: spring or fall (Don't like Hurricane season)

Great sale or special price, can get my tail moveing real quick

Sometimes the PORT, if we can get away from airfareWe do lots of research, thats part of the fun.

Ship (the newer the better)

Cabins (balcony and cabin square footage)

Itinerary

Price

We will be shopping cruiselines for many years to come. Our first was in 2004 - the Miracle out of Baltimore. Second is in September - Crown Princess out of NY. So far, we haven't flown to any ports. Our third may be the NCL Gem, also out of NY.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll have a great time. ;)

First we decide where we want to go. Then we look for ships that are going where we want to (doesn't matter what cruise line). Then we narrow it down by what is available on the ship, how many sea days, price, etc. After we have it narrowed down, I research the cruise boards to see what the ratings are on the ships we have chosen. Then, we eventually pick one. Each cruise and cruise line has it's own pros and cons, but it's all what you make it. We are now looking forward to our 5th cruise in June!

Carnival Sensation 2001

Carnival Pride 2002

RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2003

HAL Zuiderdam 2004

Carnival Valor - June 2006

Used to be: ports, price, ship, line

Now that I'm taking my kids, it's based on: date, departure port, ship, line, price, ports

Quite a change from how I used to decide.. and I imagine it will change as my little one gets older!

Always by price, if it is cheap; we cruise. And never in November since kids are in school and can't go since Grandma and PaPa are in St. Maartin for the month and can't watch the kids. Of course if we found a deal for Thanksgiving week, we are gone; we take the whole family and just go! Best time to go, we don't have to decide whose house we are eating at.

For us cruising is all about the ship. So it's ship first then where...Eastern or Western Caribbean...Although that may change for our cruise in 07 or 08. We would love to take a transatlantic cruise. Maybe from Rome to Fla. 16 days on a Carnival ship....I could handle that! :D :D :D

......Last is the time for my "bill" (that female thing ;) ;) ). Even if I can get the penthouse on the ship with all the ports that I want to visit is at a rock bottom price, if my "bill" is on during that time, I'm not going!!!

Always wondered what those Friends of Bill meetings were about.

Archived