Survey of Celebrity Cruisers for class

NZYU

This is an informal survey that I hope you don't find too personal. I will post it on a few other cruise line threads, too, to try to get a cross section of responses.

1. Do you save for a cruise and then pay in full?

Or, do you charge your cruise and make monthly payments for it on your credit cards after the cruise?

2. How many purchase new clothes for the cruise?

Credit card vs paid in full?

3. How do you rate yourself in terms of style?

Always in - latest clothes. I want others to think I am successful.

Mix of latest and my favorites.

Doesn't matter - wear what's comfortable. Who cares what others think!

Thanks!

I don't understand what your'e trying to determine..

Survey of Celebrity Cruisers for class

it looks like a survey on who pays off their credit cards.:confused:

All Celebrity cruisers have class... or at least good taste for cruiselines.

maybe a class project?

I make a reservation, pay the minimum to hold and whenever I feel like it pay more. When it's close to sailing I pay it all up front. I put everything on a credit card (to get the miles) and pay the credit card in full when the bill comes.

I usually do not shop for clothes specifically for a cruise. I mix latest styles with my (timeless classic) favourites.

this is a bizarre survey.

I don't understand what your'e trying to determine..

it looks like a survey on who pays off their credit cards.:confused:

All Celebrity cruisers have class... or at least good taste for cruiselines.

My guess is, it's a project trying to figure out if we all go out and charge up our vacations when we can't afford them. The answer is, "No."

I pay cash for the cruise and charge the groceries. ;)

Hi, another word for survey would be....you guessed it...POLL.

If the OP wants to find out about what people do I would think

they could do a POLL and then those who want to reply will do so.

We ALL have different income levels:eek: and how does that relate

to dress?

Met lots of folks who make lots of money and dress tacky:confused: while

others who earn less $$ try to dress nicely. (Not just on cruises,

but in life).

Not sure how one pays for a cruise relates to their attire.

Quote:

"I pay cash for the cruise and charge the groceries";)

That gave me a smile:D

1. Reserve with AMEX card. Pay in full with AMEX 4/15 for 6/24 cruise date. I wanted the points- since we were spending the money anyway.

I gave my husband the $$ for the deposit, since he pays the bills.

I ordered a celebration package- 175$- debit card- paid off as a charge though (more points).

Bought new memory card for my camera for cruise, champagne, etc.- All cash.

Cruise will be paid off within 30 days when the bill comes in.

We use AMEX as a protection for purchases usually.

Larger debit purchases can mess you up.

I ordered an expensive satellite radio they said they had in stock-I paid 350$ cash via debit card. They said within 5 hours they will verify item can be picked up.

Best-Buy charged my debit before the ensured they had the item!!!!

Kept me from my money for over a week.

2. New clothes- some charged so I get my employee discount of an additional 25%....the rest paid in full with debit card.

3. I enjoy new clothes/love great quality/deprived childhood-

3 brothers= terrible hand-me-downs. :)

My style is what I like. Often traditonal/class, often fun or just casual.

Did buy some new clothes for cruise, not a lot. Did buy new shoes & a few formal gowns- all cash.

You should have developed a specific questionnairre- this seems a little broad...but I hope my 2 cents helps you.

Bernadette

Hi, your answers are terrific:) honest (to me) and to the point.

But I agree...the entire Survey is too broad.

It should have been done as a POLL.

This is an informal survey that I hope you don't find too personal. I will post it on a few other cruise line threads, too, to try to get a cross section of responses.

Or, do you charge your cruise and make monthly payments for it on your credit cards after the cruise?

Doesn't matter - wear what's comfortable. Who cares what others think!

Thanks!

I pay for everything in full because I am too cheap to pay interest. In fact, we don't even have a mortgage on our house. Shopping for clothes is something I do on an ongoing basis so I don't have to worry about filling voids in my wardrobe for special occassions and vacations.

Since I tend to book last minute, payment in full. And I earn miles.

No, don't buy anything special. As things either wear out or don't fit anymore, I replace them. Has nothing to do with a cruise. It'a a mixed bagon how I pay for clothing. Depends where I buy it.

I just don't understand this whole thread. We pay for our cruises with American Express and then when the bill comes in we get to pay in cash for the whole thing. We buy clothes as we need them with cash. I don't understand what this has to do with class. You can be dirt poor and still have class and as rich as Trump and have no class at all. If you want to know how I pay, I explained. If you want to know if I have class, you will have to cruise with me. We try and do two a year, hope to meet you someday. Pat

I think we're missing something here. I could see this line of questioning if the OP is a teenage girl whose primary focus is clothes and shopping and trying to get what everybody else has (not saying it is, but very well could be). If you look at it from this point of view, then her questions seem logical.

They just don't seem logical to us because we know better. ;)

To those who said it should have been a poll, you are correct. I just couldn't figure out how to do a poll on the message boards.

The purpose is to tie together math and social studies (economics and travel) units for students by asking adults these questions.

The shopping question stems from a thread a while back about what people wore on cruises. Originally, there was a hypothesis involved with this; but so far, it isn't turning out as thought.

Thank you.

P.S. Loved the one about charging the food.

I agree with most of the posters on this thread. I am confused by the OP's questions, and would never answer them. Not their business.

I learned something many years ago. Never ask someone how much they make or "how they pay for it"".. It is no ones business.

As for the word "CLASS" in the "OP's" post...I'll leave that one alone...:rolleyes:

I think she means "class" as in "class project"

Still it has to be thought out.

I looked at the Princess poll.

1) Save up and pay in full. I doubt that anyone who books a cruise before final payment is due would pay in full until they have to.

3) Use a credit card for points and pay balance when due. I thnk this is what most people would choose.

Perhaps what you really are asking is how many pay their credit card bill in full and how many "pay it out" over a period of time. Are you trying to learn if cruisers on one cruiseline pay differently from cruisers on another?

The other question regarding clothes shopping. Are you trying to learn if people buy a special "cruise wardrobe"? Or are you trying to determine whether clothing costs have to be added to the trip cost?

I think you have to be clear in what you are trying to do.

Good luck!

I book VERY far in advance because I want a specific cabin. I invest the balance due in a high rate CD with the maturation date timed to when final payment will have to be paid off on a credit card. For instance, I had another cruise on reserve which I used the same booking number when Freedom of the Seas bookings became available. When I finally determined which cabin I wanted (I upgraded), I put the final payment amount into a CD which will come mature at the beginning of November of this year. I will put the final payment sometime in October on my Amex which will have to be paid in full in November. The CD will mature, and I will earn a nice litte chunk of interest on that money. I have done the same thing for my December 2007 Disney cruise, but of course invested in a longer term CD with even more favourable rates. We just bought a house and our escrowing ourselves and again we have put the money due for HOA and taxes into a shorter term CD to earn a little cash and also to ensure they money is actually available when it comes time to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.

I book VERY far in advance because I want a specific cabin. I invest the balance due in a high rate CD with the maturation date timed to when final payment will have to be paid off on a credit card. For instance, I had another cruise on reserve which I used the same booking number when Freedom of the Seas bookings became available. When I finally determined which cabin I wanted (I upgraded), I put the final payment amount into a CD which will come mature at the beginning of November of this year. I will put the final payment sometime in October on my Amex which will have to be paid in full in November. The CD will mature, and I will earn a nice litte chunk of interest on that money. I have done the same thing for my December 2007 Disney cruise, but of course invested in a longer term CD with even more favourable rates. We just bought a house and our escrowing ourselves and again we have put the money due for HOA and taxes into a shorter term CD to earn a little cash and also to ensure they money is actually available when it comes time to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.

Yikes Flagger. I feel like I need a finance degree just to understand that post. :eek:

Maybe because I have college classes I attend, I got the inference right away it was for some sort of school presentation.

I always shop, and add here and there to my wardrobe.

Yesterday got a pair of GV jeans for 7$.

not for the cruise- figure I can wear it at work on Friday dress-down days.

Regarding NEW purchases for the cruise...

I have plenty of bathing suits/ got a great cover up, got some clothes I bought at end of last summer season...so that is all in great condition & gives me a lot to choose from...

BUT- I do not have strappy, heeled, dressy shoes for formal night...so I bought them...two pairs...and a third dressier flat sandal.

3 pairs for under 100$ (gotta love that employee discount!!!)

& I did buy the Brita water bottles from for he and me.

If they get little use on the cruise, they will be very useful in our regional travels here in tri-state area.

Now in order to remain fiscally/financially prudent- we did not take our three children on the cruise. hahaha

Make sure you tell the kids- "It's not ALWAYS about THEM!!!!!

bernadette

PS Lois- loved the pics you posted & love reading your posts the few months I have been here.

LOL.....Charge the deposit, pay in full when the bill comes in.....Love new clothes and still like to be trendy, am thrifty and sometimes can be bordering on downright cheap! We don't care what others think and always have a great time!

Okay...now I get it...it's for a class...So, I don't have to rant on about what constitutes "class"!! :) :)

In that case:

Honestly, I don't even "save" for a cruise...I cruise at least one really nice every year and often a second...I can afford it...I earn enough that the cost has never been a great concern...I book it, I charge it the day it's due (Want to get those "points" on my credit card) and I pay the credit card bill in full before it becomes due...Here's a note regarding credit cards young people ought to know: You should NEVER run up large debts on your credit cards...They generally charge outrageous rates of interest (of course, sometimes they give you a low introductory rate, then raise it later...they know eventually you'll be paying it off at high rates)...Use your credit card as a convenience only...Only charge what you already know you can currently afford...and pay it off in TOTAL every month before additional charges accrue...If you can't do that, you can't afford what you're buying anyway...

My wife uses the cruise as an excuse to go shopping for "clothes for the cruise" (And, yes, again, we pay it off in total every time). I don't. I think women like any excuse to shop. Men don't like to shop.

Doesn't matter - wear what's comfortable. Who cares what others think!!

My wife buys what she likes and what she thinks makes her look good--NOT what other people think looks "successful".

I could care less--especially what others think. I dress in what I find comfortable. Okay, we'll get into that other definition of "class" here...I never found those trying to impress others as having "class"...in fact, quite the opposite...it's a Nouveau Riche trait...No, friends, the clothes do not make the man...the man is who he is...the clothes are a comic costume...

Hope those answers help...

Since you are a student, I will agree with Steve. My father never owned a credit card...they didn't exist for most of his life, and when they became available, I guess he figured he had lived so long without one, he surely didn't need it. When I was about your age, he taught me that I must have the money first before I bought anything. That is a good life rule to follow and it will keep you out of financial trouble. If you choose to use a credit card for points (or safety), that's fine, but pay it at the end of every month. Don't carry a balance. All that does is make the bank richer and you poorer!

I don't know whether or not that is the question of your project. But, even if it isn't, it is good advice from the "old people"!!!

On the other hand, Steve, your comment on dress can be sooooo misread! I know that you don't mean it's O.K. to be sloppy because clothes don't make the man...but it sure can be interpreted that way.

I happen to think clothes speak volumes. It is the obvious expression of our personalities...

Archived