No Halters?

Hello.

I am so excited to be going on a cruise in July. I adore getting dressed up and am allready planning my formal wear. On the website, I read that the dress sugestions include "no halter tops." I am wondering if there is a regional translation error on my part. I understand that a halter to is a top or dress neckline that has a band of fabric that wraps around the neck instead of front to back straps. I can't imagine why this would be deemed inappropriate, since it is more modest than a strapless dress.

I am a bit confused. Would one of you fashionistas please set the record straight? Are they really banning this style of top or are they talking about something different?

I have no idea where you read this, was it on the FAQ section of the dress suggestions by your cruiseline?

You may have read they request no tank tops worn in the dining room, by that they are requesting that men not wear tank tops, not women. While it does seem a bit sexist, I think they are trying to avoid those down to there armholes and mens hairy armpits while people are eating dinner.

I've never read that halter tops were not allowed.

Please explain who "they" are.

This is part of the information provided by the princess website.

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Truth be told, I probably will not avoid a top or dress because it has a halter neckline. I think they are pretty and show off tanned shoulders nicely. I just came across it and thought I must be confusing terms or that halter style tops are deemed inappropriate.

As for who the "they" are....I was referring to Princess's copywriter, website creator and/or all other Princess executives responsible for the wording of the company's dress suggestions.

This is part of the information provided by the princess website.

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

Truth be told, I probably will not avoid a top or dress because it has a halter neckline. I think they are pretty and show off tanned shoulders nicely. I just came across it and thought I must be confusing terms or that halter style tops are deemed inappropriate.

As for who the "they" are....I was referring to Princess's copywriter, website creator and/or all other Princess executives responsible for the wording of the company's dress suggestions.

Yes, it is definitely on the Princess website. But it refers to "halter tops"-the kind worn with shorts or bikini bottoms and those are usually itsy bitsy tops, with lots of "stuff" hanging out. Like my friend (size 18+) who decided to wear one of my (size 8) stretchy halters. That scene sure livened up our BBQ. Kind of looked like pasties with a band attached. LOL!!!

Wear your halter neck formal dress. You will look lovely, especially with tanned shoulders. Enjoy!!!

Dustythread, I see now where you read that! I've not yet sailed Princess and am not familiar with their site. They would not be popular with the ladies if they tried to tell them what style of dress to wear to formal nights!

I did read it as a casual clothing request for the dining room, only in the evenings. I'm sure you can still wear a halter top on other areas of the ship during the day.

To be honest with you, I've never seen this written on any other cruiseline website, most of them refer only to tank tops.

I love halter style dresses and I can not imagine that they would not want women to wear the styles that they like. I think that even dressy halter style tops are appropiate for the dining room!!

They are referring to the itsy bitsy "kerchief" type type that shows way more skin than any respectable person should. Often they are only loosley tied around the neck and under the bust line. They are worn without undergarments. ]

They are, as someone pointed out, sometimes made of strechy material, but I think that would be more like a tuibe top (again, another style where you wonder "What were they thinking???"

A dress that utilizes the halter top stye isn' the same thing...

Funny.. the first thing I thought of was Kristy MicNicholl who played a character in a tv movie years ago called "The Pinballs" who wore halter tops all the time because it was the only thing she could sew...

My DD just bought a gorgeous "halter' dress for her prom, yes the shotgun is loaded. It would be a perfect dress for formal night. Go ahead and get it or take it. What I think that they're talking about is halter tops, you know showing tummy. Halter dress is definatly OK. You'll look great.

Halters are "in" right now, so not really sure what they mean. But most halters these days are way more dressy then the tees that a lot of women wear w/their capris to the dining room. So wear your halter, I will be! :)

Dustythreads,

Thank you so much for posting this question!! I too had read the 'no halter top' comment in some of my Princess literature and was very baffled.

And thank you too to everyone who responsed....I'm going on my first cruise (Sapphire Princess- Coastal- May 13) and I am pulling out my hair trying to find something to wear to the 'smart casual' evenings.

Cheers!

teresa

Archived