Help the Newbie pack!

BethKel

Wow, FIRST cruise ever...in just a little over two weeks on the Golden Princess. I saw a thread like this a while back, but I've also seen a lot of us Newbies, so perhaps someone else might want this info...

Pack list?

We can assume some stuff - suntan lotion, shorts, t-shirts, "smart casual" clothes for dining most nights, etc. But what do you guys recommend as an item or two that a Newbie might not usually think about packing?

Beth

I took a 30-day cruise in March and did not take or need any of the above-mentioned things (except the 2 gallon zip locks do sound like a good idea). I did take laundry detergent so I would not have to purchase it on the ship. I think it is all a matter of how much 'stuff' you want. I find I prefer less in my luggage so I can fill it up with treasures. One thing I do though is to check with the purser about once a week and also a day or two before the end of the trip to see that my shipboard account is correct. I was glad I did as changes were needed, a couple of times the changes were not made so when I checked on those they had to change them. On disembarkation day the lines for the purser on both decks were very long. I also went to the purser when the satellite was not working after I swiped my card when I was trying to get on the internet. They had to deduct over $50.00 worth of charges for that. (It happened quite a bit in the Indian Ocean).

Also, next cruise, I'm taking several of those plastic over the door hangers. Just got back from the Grand, and the only hooks were those on the inside of the bathroom door. My husband and I have lots of things we like to just hang up, like jackets, sweaters, ect. without going to the bother of hanging them on a hanger. Also, the Baltic was wet, and our jackets needed a place to dry out.

The showers are very small with no shelves or areas for shampoo,razors, etc. I just bought one of those suction cup shelves from Target to put in the shower so I don't have to pile it all on the shower floor!!! i get to try it out next week! Hope it helps :)

I've been known to pack a whole lot, but the more I cruise the more I learn. All you really need to pack is a couple of outfits to wear at dinner while on the ship and a bathing suit and sarong (depending on the itinerary). Most importantly pack the right attitude and have fun. (smile)

There are digital clocks on the telephones and yes auto wake up if needed. Also just thought of something else, packed my dress shirts direct form the cleaners IN the plastic bags also the things that went in the garment bag. The plastic bage seem to cut down on any wrinkles...now if I could just find some for my face.

My wife always packs a small pharmacy - pain pills, allergy pills, benadryl cream, echinacea (which we start taking about a week before our trip, to bolster the immune system), stuff for heartburn, and anything else that might come in handy. You don't need a lot, but it's handy to have a supply available rather than waiting for the shops to open or a port call for needed relief.

I always pack a collapsible backpack. It's handy for shore days and beach excursions, and can double as an extra carry-on bag to bring things home.

My wife always packs a small pharmacy - pain pills, allergy pills, benadryl cream, echinacea (which we start taking about a week before our trip, to bolster the immune system), stuff for heartburn, and anything else that might come in handy. You don't need a lot, but it's handy to have a supply available rather than waiting for the shops to open or a port call for needed relief.

Speaking of pills, I always go to a crafts store and buy the little, bitty ziplock bags before traveling. Then I put just as many of each type of pill as I think I'll need into its own bag. Lightens your load and saves lots of space. Read (and copied) somewhere here that it's a good idea to take your own Immodium (or whatever you take for similar symptoms). As that is a symptom of Norwalk, the ship doesn't sell it. You have to go to the doctor, and you'll probably get quarantined even if you don't have Norwalk. (But if you do have it, stay in your room - PLEASE!) See you in a couple of week, Beth. Donia

I'm sure the "clock with a lighted face" suggestion was intended to focus on the "lighted face" part. The clocks on the phones aren't visible at night.

Add "battery operated" to the suggestion, and you can put the clock where you want to (night stand) without worrying about plugging it in.

I use those little pill diaries- a series of little pill boxes, one for each day. I just put in more than one day's worth if we're gone for more than a week.

Thanks for the tip about the suction cup shower shelf (try saying that three times, fast!). I've put it on my list for our trip next week.

I have always found a plug-in air freshener for the bathroom to come in handy, and Bath and Body Works carries wonderful tiny bottle of air freshener in yummy scents. Staterooms smell stale fast!

I also bring stuff that's just plain fun to have, and is either too expensive or not available on board... glow bracelets and other glow jewelry for deck parties at night, small bottles of bubbles for sailaway, etc. I love to see the look on a kid's face when someone just hands him bubbles out of the blue. :)

-gina-

We bring Crystal Lite mixes and mix it the water bottle and chill it in the fridge. It's great after the beach or just to have something tasty to drink. Most people swear by duct tape. 2 Gallon baggies are great for wet bathing suits...and Qtips! Ear Plugs in case of annoying rattles and door slammers.A sweater or lite jacket for inside the ships are often cold inside! A lanyard for your cruise card!!!! a good book! Ditto on the air freshener! Good ideas Gina!

Cindy

Archived