Are handicapped rooms much larger

buzzandjulie

I am taking my 78 yo Mom on a cruise to Alaska on the Mercury. We just booked an outside cabin handicapped (rm 5059) I am just wondering if they are really larger and will I have to leave the wheelchair outside the room she should only need it some of the time not all?

Anyone stay in this room or any commets in general on handicapped rooms appricated

We staying in an accessible room on our last cruise.

It was an aft CC room (8176) but was several feet wider than standard to allow plenty of room for a wheelchair or scooter. Also had an accessible bathroom, and was re-arranged a bit (mirror & closet placement and such) to accommodate wheelchair or scooter. Had ramps to/from balcony and bathroom and a closet with a cloths rod that could be lowered to wheelchair height.

Some pictures at http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/1402938

Yes, they are larger, which is why you have to compete with those who try to book these rooms just because they are larger and have no disability. Keep in mind though that the room posted above is a suite, and much larger than most of the accessible cabins.

Plan too fold the wheelchair (the desk is a good place to keep it, or behind the door) so that it is not in the way in the room. Don't leave it outside the door. This is both a fire and access problem, and may result in someone else taking the wheelchair (yes, it does happen). In the dining room, ask the waiter to store it someplace safe while you dine. He will then bring it to you at the end of the meal.

The first photos are of a CC accessible room, not a suite. There are two cabins pictured. It is on the aft of an M-Class ship.

You don't have to compete for these cabins as they are not released to the general public until later in the cruise and if you need one, people can be bumped from an accessible cabin. When the cruise gets close and no one has booked the cabin it is released to people who do not have a disability.

Joan is right. The pictures I referred to had pictures of 8176 - Aft Accessible CC room, and 6146 Sky Suite (not an accessible room) on the page. 8176 is a concierge class room with the modifications I discussed.

We happened to get this room assigned about a week before the cruise when it became available due to a cancellation.

I am taking my 78 yo Mom on a cruise to Alaska on the Mercury. We just booked an outside cabin handicapped (rm 5059) I am just wondering if they are really larger and will I have to leave the wheelchair outside the room she should only need it some of the time not all?

You will find you have a nice cabin with plenty of room for the chair. Be sure that you have the beds split and the night stands in the middle. this gives the most space I know because I have used my scooter in the same room. The passaway outside these rooms is much wider so that is also a help. Your right around the corner from the Guest Relations desk and all the main people you will need to contact.

While I am here and discussing this let me set the record straight.

I have never seen a cruise line bump a person from a handicap room. Many TA's use lie about their customers to sell a room and deny it later. This is quite common and since they don't list these rooms and they have to get a special release until the last short time before sailing. It is for this reason I have to book a year in advance to insure getting a room I need. So now that I have vented if anyone has a TA say, "let me get you a HDCP room they are bigger." You know your dealing with a dishonest person so don't trust them.

Please don't take these rooms if you don't need them because a lot of us do. If you get a last minute upgrade that is another thing.

Sorry Jerry, but a friend of mine was bumped from one of these about a week before a cruise on Infinity. They got the cabin about three weeks before the cruise and then were bumped later. They were put in another CC cabin. I've heard of it happening to others too. We had one once at the last minute, but my TA told me there was always the possibility of being bumped if the cabin was needed.

Hi Jukeboxy !

I totally agree with your comments. I feel it is horrible if a TA can reserve a Handicapped Cabin for someone who doesnt need it, just for the sake of getting them a larger Cabin. There may be ways to do it, but it's just flat out wrong.

I have to ask you this, (and I may be wrong).... but dont you have to get a Doctors note for the Handicapped Cabin ? When we took my Uncle on Mercury a few years ago, we could not get one for him, until he produced a Doctors note. He truly needed it.

By the way, I have no problem with anyone getting them at the last minute.

Has the policy changed ? I sure hope not !

Andy,

That is the policy. I agree that if it's not going to be used it is fine to book it close to sailing. They should definitely be reserved for those who need them first.:)

Hi Joan !

How are you ? I hope all is well.

I am glad to hear the policy has not changed. I totally feel they should be left open for those who need them first.

Sorry Jerry, but a friend of mine was bumped from one of these about a week before a cruise on Infinity. They got the cabin about three weeks before the cruise and then were bumped later. They were put in another CC cabin. I've heard of it happening to others too. We had one once at the last minute, but my TA told me there was always the possibility of being bumped if the cabin was needed.
That may well have happened if they were given the room at the convience of the cruise line. The cruise line knew at that point that the person was not qualified for the cabin. If the TA booked it and informed the cruise line of the true condition of the passenger I can see it happening. Go to the thread for the disabled on here and you will see that is the case.

But they will not check to see if a person that has booked the cabin truely needs it. They may have you give proof on paper depending on who books it and the mood of the person at X. Then we know that if you go to your doctor and ask for a letter to get a room 9 times out of 10 you will get it. So short of appearing in person the whole proceedure is bogas.

The policy on all cruise lines about who qualifies for ADA cabins is like the dress code. It is vaguely stated and poorly enforced. This is just a hot button for the people with disabilities.

Most ships even the new ones have ten or less cabins for ADA use. You could see from our last cruise on the Summit that there is a growing need for this type of cabin. Another sad thing is many people that need the cabins do not know that there are some.

I am just commenting from a person that has the experience of getting the ADA rooms on 10 cruises. I am not hitting on anyone here but mainly getting a discussion for the people with no experience.

Thanks for all your answers. My mother has definatley difficulty walking around the ships and getting to some of the excusions sites. I did not take a wheelchair 4 years ago on Voyagaer and ended up using the ship one many days therefore I will rent one to bring with me. My next question is can I rent one in Seattle to be at the ship for arrival or should I rent one at home and bring it with me. She usually just has the skycap bring her aroud in the airport

Buzzandjulie, rent one at home (or purchase if you travel a lot) and take it with you. There is no extra charge on the airlines for gate-checking a wheelchair (or other medical equipment), and this way she can get used to it before the cruise as well as use her own chair in the airport and for embarkation/disembarkation. You can get a light weight chair that is much nicer and lighter than ship's wheelchairs or most rentals. If you want to purchase, an excellent site for this is http://www.spinlife.com You can look at chairs at your local DME, but purchase at SpinLife (and save a lot of money).

Don't be tempted to get a small-wheeled "travel" chair though. They are hard to get over curbs when ashore, and the person cannot push themselves....even to turn the chair around. You have to stay where ever you are "parked", which is not fun on a cruise.

We have utilized handicapped cabins, on occasions, on different cruise lines. # 1 ---Doctor letter is NOT required. # 2 ---cabins do cost extra. # 3 I left my folding wheelchair outside room during day (even w/regular cabin) when I was in room UNTIL--as I was unlocking door, 2 old ladies hobbling down corridor, said "that's what I need" and tried to grab my wheelchair. When told it was mine, they responded that they thought ALL the wheelchairs in the corridors were for anyone to use!!! Never again!!! I always kept it in room at night.

Depending on cruise line, disability, etc, the H rooms vary. I can walk some, push chair some, etc, but last time accidentally got an H room that would have been Impossible for scooter. It was a direct sharp turn around a corner to a really narrow corridor. I had to fold the chair to get it into room!

Somehow, these rooms are difficult to get. I cannot imagine them being available. You are right-dining is easy-they will watch them for you while dining. If in a regular cabin, just ask for a shower seat, if necessary. No prob.

I can get around fine on ships, and am VERY aware of my own positive and limitations. Any other questions, please ask. I am now packing for Alaska on Celebrity Mercury on Monday--regular inside cabin.

Shore excursions are another discussion!!!!! Always ask for a pusher for emb/debarc. Those tips are worth their weight in gold. ENJOY your cruise.

P.S. Look on ship map for handicapped restrooms, if needed-not on every level. Barb

Forgot to mention that I was advised--by airlines----to keep my wheelchair with me on plane. DO NOT CHECK with luggage as it gets tossed around. They will put it under plane and bring to you at plane door and you can use their pusher or not. I ALWAYS use theirs-too much for my husband to push to next location, luggage, etc. Just a learned-by-the-hard-way opinion!!! Barb

Taco is right... never, ever check your wheelchair until you get to the gate. At the gate they will put a "gate tag" on your chair. If you cannot walk, at the door to the plane you will transfer from your chair to a narrow aisle chair. Your wheelchair will be taken down the jetway steps to the tarmac and should be the last thing loaded on the plane. It will also be the first thing off and will be waiting just outside the plane door on the jetway.

One more thing about chairs and planes. The ADA law requires that the airline provide room for one chair in the cabin. The gate agent may or may not be aware of this, but the head flight attendant will know what to do. Ask and be insistant. I tell you this because we had a problem once when Ken's chair had some damage because of baggage shifting in flight. Ken is parapledgic and his chair is his legs. A rental chair is not an option as it would be like you going on vacation in a pair of shoes that are three sizes too small or three sizes too big. Anyway, Ken and I sat on the floor of the jetway for 20 minutes while an airline mechanic brought the needed tools for us to fix his chair. From that point on, I insist on the chair being stored in the cabin of the plane. Note that some small prop and regional jet planes will not have this space. Also, some very old planes (DC-9) will not have the space either.

• 2 weeks later...

No extra charge. Much bigger room and all doors are wheelchair friendly. Big roll in shower. You will need to cal the Celebrity special needs department for any special requests. To get the cabin, you have to go through your TA. Also, they will give you the option of providing a letter of medical necessity from your doctor. Do it! This is your guarentee that you will have the room in case there is a problem.

If you need to buy a chair you might try a club store like Sams,Cosco, BJ's etc. Also try your local thrift store.

My husband broke his ankle 2 weeks before our TransAtlantic. I looked into buying and renting but a friend had one in her attic and lent it to us.

We used it all the time as walking on crutches from one end of the ship to the other was too long.

The staff was fantastic and at the buffet one would push him and another would hold a tray for him so I could get my own food and we could get to the table at the same time to eat.

We didn't have a handicapped room. We left the chair outside the cabin(I never thought of the fire access) with a name tag and ribbons for identification.

Have a great cruise--we sure did

Taco, handicapped rooms are not an extra charge and if anyone is charging you extra, you are being ripped off by someone. It's against the Americans With Disabilities Act to charge anything extra for a disabled cabin. So, if your accessible cabin is a 2C and the price of a 2C is $500, then that should be the price you pay. If not, then you need to dispute the charges.

We were told by Celebrity that whatever category book is the amount you pay. Then if there is a room available they will move you to it.

Another word of warning about leaving chairs in the corridors. Drunken revellers love using them to scoot around in during the night and don't always return them. Of course this may only happen on Aussie ships as they are disgcraceful according to the media lately.

Archived