Is this formal enough?

I am going on my first cruise this summer, and I am unsure of how formal is formal night. I hate to buy something that I will never wear again. I found this dress on-line and I really like it. It is listed as a cocktail dress, but I am not sure I would describe it as such. I just thought I would get some expert opinions. What do you think of this on formal night, or should I save this for another night and get something more formal?

Thanks,

Dusty

1705837756_pinkdress.jpg.2d2fa01fcb8fa2048bd42256eef6a34a.jpg

It's so hard to say not being able too see the whole picture, or the dress modeled. My first instinct would be to say no, it looks more like a church dress, but what is the material? Also, I think it would depend on how it is accessorized.

Can you tell us any more about the dress?

I hate to say yes or no to anyone, we don't always know their background, budget, or lifestyle. What is dressy to one may be too over-the-top for another and vice-versa.

I would aslo have to say no, it look more like a sun dress. Think elegant, you should be able to pick up a cocktail or formal dress on clearance right after school ends, i usually go to Gottschalks or Pennys and find them for around $40 you may also try the second hand stores, my daughters shop for their cruise formals at Goodwill and buy them for $3 to $12.

I agree with the above posters. This dress looks like more of what you would see on regular nights or maybe semi-formal. Wear it if you like, no one will care one way or another. IMHO it is not formal enough ~ not for my liking.

Hi Dusty,

What a pretty dress.

We don't know which cruiseline you are sailing on. This dress would be fine for NCL where Formal night is optional, but might not be for an upscale cruiseline. If your ship does an informal night, where cocktail dresses are required, this dress would be nice.

Just my opinion.

Barb

According to her signature, she will be on Princess in just a couple of months!

Just to let you know, HBMom, the formal nights are generally pretty formal, tuxedos or black suits for men, long gowns (many in black) some shorter cocktail dresses, a few evening pants suits. Look through other posts here where women have posted pictures of their formal dresses to get an idea. There is usually a sea of black evening gowns, but it is perfectly acceptable to wear color.

I don't know what is available to you for shopping. but many major department stores carry a lot of what you may be looking for, much of it on sale. Don't be afraid to take an afternoon and go try on a lot of stuff. Not knowing your budget (your pic looks like it might be Ebay?) it is hard to recommend. I'm not a big believer in Ebay, unless you have a lot of experience and know what you are buying, know what looks best on your figure type.

Take along a trusted female friend to help you with your try on session. You may find something at a great price that you know will fit you, without all the hassle of returns. I'm sometimes very surprised to try on stuff I think will look great and it looks horrid on me, or something I'm not crazy for on the hanger, but it looks terrific when I put it on.

Keep looking and don't buy until you find something you love and something that fits. Slight alterations may be necessary, but limit that to hem length or a very small tuck here and there. Pass up anything that needs major work.

I'm always searching through the sale racks and will sometimes find amazing bargains. I have not spent over $30 for the last 4 formal dresses/outfits I've purchased. I did buy an expensive evening jacket this year, but with a gift card and coupon, it only set me back $40.

We won't talk about my shoes, though. I'm not comfortable in cheap shoes and I'm hard to fit. Some of my shoes cost 10 times the amount of what I paid for a dress (shhh!)

I agree that the dress is very pretty, but more appropriate for the casual or semi-formal nights. Kathy - That's amazing that you found formal outfits for $30-$40! Mine were all close to $100, but I wear the same dresses on every cruise, so it's been worth it. I actually use my prom dress (from 9 years ago!) on my cruises!

To the OP- My mom also didn't want to spend a lot on a formal outfit she'd never wear again, so if you don't plan on doing other cruises and reusing your dresses, you could see if any of your friends will let you borrow one--that's what my mom did.

I agree that it's not formal, more what you would wear for a summer wedding. You can get by with it on formal night, though most people dress up more. I have great luck finding formal dresses on the sale racks, especially after Christmas and prom season--and I have limited shopping where I live. Penneys and Herbergers are the only stores in my area with true formal gowns. I have bought formal gowns for as little as $7.50 and have never paid more than $50.

I'd say a lot depends on which cruise line you are on. If dressed up enough with jewelry and shoes you might be able to get away with it on a Carnival cruise. Keep in mind you always have the choice of doing your dining in the informal dining room on any night including the formal night. We did that on our 3 day cruise. We didn't bring any formal wear because we had a golf package on land after our cruise and we didn't have room for all of our clothes if we brought along fancy clothes. We opted for a dinner buffet while most passengers did the formal night.

I thought it wasn't formal enough, but I really like it, so I am going to buy and wear it another night. I will find something else for formal night. Thanks for your input.

Dusty

It's a beautiful dress...I'm glad you'll get to wear it another night.

Archived