Trying to decide between Carnival and Princess

Munchkin1

My husband and I just got back from a 7 day western carrib cruise on the Grand Princess. We had a great time and the ship is beautiful. We are wanting to take our kids ages 24 and 22 with us on a cruise next year. My daughter seems to think Carnival would be the cruise line for her. We would be taking a 5 night cruise on the Estacy if we choose Carnival. I looked at the web site and the ship looks very plain compared to the Grand Princess especially around the pool area. Also a little concerned because the ship is being used for Hurricane Katrina victims, what kind of shape it will be in. Any comments?

The Carnival ships used in FEMA service have all undergone extensive renovations and refurbishment. You can do a 'search' on Ecstasy for recent comments. I haven't seen any complaints.:)

My husband and I just got back from a 7 day western carrib cruise on the Grand Princess. We had a great time and the ship is beautiful. We are wanting to take our kids ages 24 and 22 with us on a cruise next year. My daughter seems to think Carnival would be the cruise line for her. We would be taking a 5 night cruise on the Estacy if we choose Carnival. I looked at the web site and the ship looks very plain compared to the Grand Princess especially around the pool area. Also a little concerned because the ship is being used for Hurricane Katrina victims, what kind of shape it will be in. Any comments?

If you do choose the Ecstasy, please don't try to compare it to the Grand Princess. You would be comparing apples and oranges. They are in different leagues. The Ecstasy is an older ship, but from what I understand, a nice ship... but you are talking an older ship, a shorter itinerary, etc. Just keep that in mind. I love Carnival... and always have a great time. I hope you do as well... I just don't want you thinking this ship is going to be the Grand Princess, LOL!!!

It would be hard to compare the two ship. Grand Princess is a lot bigger ship, plus I would also say a lot newer. Carnival is not for everyone, some will love it but some will not. My wife and I were trying to decide between Carnival and RCCL for our first cruise. We simple compared the two cruise, amount of time in the islands, price, and a couple of others. We chose Carnival and we believe we made the right choose. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, so the best thing to do is try to make and educated choose. Listen to others opinions, but remember they may have different feels towards somethings than you would. We have friends and family that like different cruise lines for different reasons. Good luck

I've been on both lines recently and believe Carnival is truly the "Fun Ship"!!! But for the quality of food and service, its much higher on Princess! But Princess can get a little boring at times! Something is always going on, on a Carnival ship! So really, its what you like best!

I've been on both lines recently and believe Carnival is truly the "Fun Ship"!!! But for the quality of food and service, its much higher on Princess! But Princess can get a little boring at times! Something is always going on, on a Carnival ship! So really, its what you like best!

The glitz of the new, larger ship is not going to be present on the Ecstasy. That does not mean Ecstasy has anything wrong with it, it is just smaller and, for lack of a better term, not as glitzy.

Munchkin:

I think that what it ultimately comes down to is what you want and what you demand from your cruise experience.

If all out 'no holds barred' "fun" is your cup of tea then go with Carnival. If you want a much more laid back and relaxing experience then go with Princess.

If you don't mind more of a family atmosphere, replete with lots of kids running around, then Carnival is for you. If you're geared more toward an adult experience then Princess is the call.

Different strokes for different folks.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've sailed the Ecstacy twice, she's a very nice ship with a GREAT crew. No, she's not a huge megaship but it's just fine for a 5 day cruise.

Just to clarify, the Ecstacy was actually used to house police and emergency workers. According to the waitress from Romania that we fell in love with on the Ecstacy and that I email with ocassionally who was on board during that time, they treated the crew and the ship very well.

quote=mrbbear]Munchkin:

If you want a much more laid back and relaxing experience then go with Princess.

I cruise to relax and enjoy being on the ocean. There are many areas of Carnival ships that are nice, quiet, and relaxing. I stay away from the main pool area and all the hoopla of the games. Lots of places to sit, lounge, read a book and enjoy an adult beverage.:)

If you don't mind more of a family atmosphere, replete with lots of kids running around, then Carnival is for you.

Not necessarily. Yes, IF you cruise during any school vacation time, spring breaks, Christmas, etc. there will be LOTS of kiddies of all ages. All my cruises are during the time most kids are in class. I've seen VERY few kids on any of my cruises. You just have to choose your times carefully.;)

It sounds more like your concerned about comparing two ships rather than two cruise lines. I've never been on the Ecstacy but I was on the Grand in March, and Carnival Triumph 3 months before that. I have to say I was expecting much more from the Grand than what she had. The Triumph was much more elegant and in better shape. Better layout too. So as for Carnival versus Princess, it's more the individual ship and what you're looking for and expecting than anything. Overall Princess probably does have a bit more sedate and older crowd, while Carnival is more "fun" oriented, but each cruise, itineray, and passenger list makes for more of a variation than anything else in my opinion.

Given the ages of your kids (we have four sons aged 21-24), I think you won't be disappointed with Carnival. While Ecstasy is an older ship, Carnival does a good job with upkeep on their ships. And I love the layout of those Fantasy class ships. You are correct, the Princess pool areas are much nicer, in fact, I think they are the prettiest of all the cruiselines. When it's just my husband and I, we go for Princess, Celebrity, and next up HAL. But we take the kids on a cruise whenever one of them graduates from high school or college, and they always love Carnival. I've given them other options, but they always stick with Carnival. If your daughters are outgoing and like to meet young people their age, they will love Carnival. Royal Caribbean would be somewhat similar. We're taking our sons (and three of their friends) on the Carnival Valor next month.

We also have been on both lines recently and think the quality of food and service is better on Carnival, especially the food. A different day, a different opinion............ :)

Sheila<---------------probably needs to try Princess and Carnival again real soon:D

As far as which line you should choose???

If you took two identical itineraries, two similar ships, comparable cost...I would pick Carnival everytime over Princess. The only two cruises we have taken with Princess were because one: we found a cheaper price ONCE on Princess. Two: our Sun Princess cruise offered a nice 10 day itinerary.

I agree whole heartedly with those who say "Carnival is the fun ship." Not just the activities but fellow cruisers as well. Carnival folks just seem to be much more friendly, much happier, less uptight.

I also agree with Sheila...our service on past Carnival cruises has been every bit as good if not better than Princess, RCCL and even Holland. The food in the dining room is much better on Carnival than any of the afore mentioned lines.

We've have cruised RCCL once, Princess twice, Holland once, Carnival eight times...but notice my signature :eek: . My next two are Carnival.

It's not for everyone but if you are just ordinary people who want to have great food, great fun, meet great new friends, laugh until your tummy aches, dance until your feet hurt, or nap on your balcony and sip a glass of wine then Carnival might be just right for you.

Good luck with your choice but may I recommend the Spirit class ships to you instead of the other. This has been our favorite class of ships out of all that we have been on.

Happy Cruising!:D :) :p

I am 26 and going on my first cruise with my parents. I can tell you that it was hard for us picking between the cruise lines. They all have so much to offer!!! I like the freestyle dining options on NCL. I like the extras on the RC ships like the ice skating and rock walls. I like how Princess pools are open 24 hours a day. I like how Carnival offered 4 stops on a 7 day instead of 3 like the others! Hopefully I will get to sail them all someday!!

It was a tough choice. I personally care more about excursions offered, ship activities, and nightlife than the decor of the ship. Perhaps your kids will feel the same way. Taking those things into account I thought Carnival was the best for us as well. I am also taking my soon to be 6 year old so I needed something kid friendly! :D

Have fun whatever you decide. I'm sure your kids will be happy just to go. I know we all were so excited when the P's said they were taking us this time.

Archived