What is the biggest FREE upgrade you've ever had?

Our very first Royal Caribbean cruise on Rhapsody. We booked a balcony and when we checked in they moved us to an Owner's Suite! We have been hooked ever since!

Inside cabin for four to the two bedroom royal family suite on Grandeur in 2000. We were upgraded at check in - our first cruise! Felt like we had won the lottery!

Unfortunately it hasn't happened again but I live in hope!

I dont know how it happens...

We booked inside gaurentee (cheapest fare) on Splendour and when we got the e-docs the next day...up graded to D-1 Balcony on deck 8!!

I was pretty pleased, it more than doubled the value of the cruise...the differance in price was more than we paid for the whole trip!!:D :D :D

April 2005... on The Radiance, booked a deck 9 D1 (corner aft), upgraded to GS... no-brainer for us :D it was our 3rd RCL cruise, and our first balcony (with bonus Concierge lounge). We were SUPER-SIZED!!!

There really IS an upgrade fairy!!!

A~:)

Well somone rub some of that upgrade juju on me... cuz I have an inside guarantee on my August sailing to the Bahamas, and I would love a Deluxe Oceanview... or just an oceanview for that matter...

So Everyone is quick to say what they got but not HOW they got it. Who do I have to sleep with to get an upgrade like some of those listed above. I am not above pimping myself out for a good cause like that. So all of you that have recieved upgrades FESS UP!! HOW DO YOU DO IT????

On our Radiance cruise last year, we were upgraded twice. The net upgrade was from a Cat. N interior on Deck 3 to a Cat. E1 Balcony on Deck 7, free of charge.

The first upgrade was courtesy of our travel agent. Our TA forgot to forward our deposit to Royal Caribbean, and by the time the error was caught, there were no interiors left on the ship. As such, our TA was contractually obligated to get us on that ship, and the lowest category available was a Cat. H Oceanview. We were happy.

Then, we arrived at the pier, and were given the keys for our room - on Deck 7, not Deck 3 (where the Cat. H was supposed to be). We walked into our beautiful E1, courtesy of Royal Caribbean. At our table, there were two other couples that had both gotten upgrades.

The key to the upgrade fairy is really mostly luck. Three factors do seem to be important:

1) Time of year and route: We travelled on the standard Western Caribbean route at a slow time of the year - the Sunday after Thanksgiving. The key is to go on a cruise that is not full, specifically in the higher categories. The cruise is going to sail whether those rooms are booked or not, and if they are empty, the cruise line is going to be better off by freely upgrading people. The more experienced, more highly rated room stewards work in the higher categories (better service for customers, better tips for the workers), and would be quite unhappy if they have fewer rooms (and thus, tips) than the less experienced workers down on Deck 2. If the ship is mostly full, you might be asked to move to accomodate a group booking, but otherwise your upgrade prospects are low.

2) Return customer: All three sets of travelers at our dinner table (recall we were all upgraded) had cruised with Royal Caribbean before. And, as one can imagine, the more times you've cruised with them, the higher the priority you get for an upgrade.

3) The category you initially booked: Generally, the higher the category you book, the higher the category you will be upgraded to (if you are upgraded). An interior might get an oceanview, an oceanview to a balcony, a balcony to a suite. Jumps from an interior to a balcony or suite by Royal Caribbean are rare.

Return customer: All three sets of travelers at our dinner table (recall we were all upgraded) had cruised with Royal Caribbean before. And, as one can imagine, the more times you've cruised with them, the higher the priority you get for an upgrade.

I don't think this is true. I have cruised Royal Caribbean many times and all different times of the year and have never been given an upgrade. I think it all comes down to luck.

We booked on Princess, (1st time) and paid for 2 inside rooms next to eachother....family of 4. When we checked in we were given family 2 rom suite way in front of Caribbean Princess w/huge wrap around balcony...and the best part , at least for me was that it included free laundry service!!! I was in heaven!!! Only had to wash 1 load of clothes upon returning home. We also got fresh flowers every day delivered to our room, free internet, choc. covered strawberries and free robe and slippers to take home!!! What a treat!!! I really dont know HOW it happened, we cruise alot, but that was 1st time on Princess. I asked why at checkin and got no answer, just handed us out cruise cards and said "enjoy yourselves". We were so surprised. But I'm sure that will never happen again so we really did enjoy it.

Also we did book that cruise 14 months ahead of time...but I don't know if that had anything to do w/upgrade....???? I wish I knew!!!

Upgrade from Oceanview Balcony Stateroom to an Owner's Suite, both last year on Adventure and this year on Mariner. $4,200+ plus price difference. But of course, these were Diamond Plus perks.

Dave

Has any body asked at check in and been given a free upgrade? or do you just smile and hope?

We asked about an upgrade on our honeymoon and didn't get one. We used the "honeymoon" excuse, we were in the lowest class basic window room, and we didn't get squat, but the guy checking us in congratulated us in a rather friendly manner...

Well in 25 days we leave on our 3rd crusie. The 1st 2 times I booked JS. This time, since it's only 5 days, I booked a D2 on NOS last Oct for EOS this may.

After this we will be Plat for Alaska.

SO....upgrade fairy.....if you are reading ths and want to bump mommy and me up to say, JS 9624 because I think it is available, feel free. Actually the May 28 sailing is now a HOT DEAL so I am hoping that we get the old bump up!

If not, we will still be on a cruise, from NEW JERSEY with NO ONE FROM WORK anywhere in sight!!

attention upgrade fairy, i can help you out if you need new shoes..........i help you , you help me.......get it?

thanks

We asked about an upgrade on our honeymoon and didn't get one. We used the "honeymoon" excuse, we were in the lowest class basic window room, and we didn't get squat, but the guy checking us in congratulated us in a rather friendly manner...

Remember that cruising has become a hot honeymoon trip. There are often literally hundreds of honeymooning couples onboard. No way they could do anything like a free upgrade for all of them. (But congratulations anyway.)

To answer the question about why people are upgraded. The fact is that most of the time, we have no idea. (I say "we" here as a general we encompassing all CC members, not meaning that DH and I or any of our family have EVER been upgraded because we haven't.:() We speculate, but most of the time, we don't know.

beachchick

Archived