When does Carnival return your liquor?

phinfan63

I think I've read on these boards that they return the liquor you buy in port the night before you disembark - is this correct?

My parents just returned from their cruise on the Triumph last week and they were given a piece of paper to pick up their liquor on the morning of disembarkation. Unfortunately, so did a lot of other passengers :eek: To make a long story short, they ended up leaving their liquor on the ship because there was not enough time to stand in line and make their flight too.

Hindsight being what it is, I wonder if they had asked if it could have been returned the night before instead of in the morning due to an earlier flight ????

My friend just got off the Elation on 4/30/06 and they had to go to the library to pick up their liquor the morning they were disembarking and she said it was a mess. A 2 hour wait. I won't buy any if that's the case. Wonder if they thought they were losing to much revenue from people drinking their own liquor the last night. I've been cruising since 1974 and never heard of getting it the morning you were disembarking. That's awful. Hope they change this trend. My friend heard one guy comment he was sailing RCL next time to avoid the mess.

We were just on the Victory in March/April and our liquor was all delivered the last full day of the cruise. It came late in the afternoon! We had bought some liquor from the store on the ship, as well as some from Tortuga Rum Factory in Grand Cayman - and they (TRF) had delivered it to the ship for us as well. All came with no problems!!

Do they have different protocols depending on ship? It's always been delivered during the last full day for me, as well.

No, it has always been the last full day... HOWEVER, in reading some of the threads here over the last few days, it sounds like it might be changing :( I thought it was just the Elation, but now another ship has been thrown in. We can only hope this is temporary... this could cause some serious unrest if it continues :eek:

Just got off the Destiny on 04/30. We didn't buy liquor on the ship until the last day. Walked back to our cabin with 10 bottles.

Heard announcements that passengers who bought liquor either on the islands or on the ship earlier in the week were asked to pick it up on Saturday morning (debark on Sunday).

We didn't buy liquor on the ship until the last day. Walked back to our cabin with 10 bottles.

Habby, you made me remember something....;) On the Paradise, DD bought several bottles around 9pm on the last evening, of the cruise, and we took them with us to the cabin.

I bought a bottle of tequila at the duty-free store right after we left Cozumel and was able to take it with me. The woman I bought it from said you just have to go to all your ports first.

Do they have different protocols depending on ship? It's always been delivered during the last full day for me, as well.

Evidently, YES.:eek:

Those that read a recent Elation review know my thoughts and I won't repeat them as that's probably the worst comment I've ever made on C-C. (I try to always be positive)

In the past I have had bottles delivered on the last day, the last night, been allowed to carry to cabin on last day purchase, and even allowed from port if the final port call. BUT it does look like CCL is experimenting with you having to pick up your liquor purchases on the morning of debarkation. I believe they started on the Elation. I reported in my "Worlds longest...Elation...redundant" review in March that they were doing this at that time. I carried a bottle to the cashier on the last day hoping that I would be able to just keep it and told no. I then specifically asked and was told it would have to be picked up. I left the bottle. No way I'm doing that.

It probably has recently become a much bigger problem on Elation and now perhaps Triumph for a couple of reasons. 1) When in Texas the Elation didn't sell as much liquor as Texans can only bring in ONE bottle legally. 2) They do have a lot of new employees on Elation because of drydock. It probably went much smoother, though inconvienient for pax, while the Elation was in Galveston. Now that the Elation is in FLA pax bought a lot more liquor and the crew were unable to handle the situation. That simple.

It is a bad move by CCL and they should not try to implement it fleetwide.:(

Off my soap box now--thank you. :)

Evidently, YES.:eek:

Those that read a recent Elation review know my thoughts and I won't repeat them as that's probably the worst comment I've ever made on C-C. (I try to always be positive)

In the past I have had bottles delivered on the last day, the last night, been allowed to carry to cabin on last day purchase, and even allowed from port if the final port call. BUT it does look like CCL is experimenting with you having to pick up your liquor purchases on the morning of debarkation. I believe they started on the Elation. I reported in my "Worlds longest...Elation...redundant" review in March that they were doing this at that time. I carried a bottle to the cashier on the last day hoping that I would be able to just keep it and told no. I then specifically asked and was told it would have to be picked up. I left the bottle. No way I'm doing that.

It probably has recently become a much bigger problem on Elation and now perhaps Triumph for a couple of reasons. 1) When in Texas the Elation didn't sell as much liquor as Texans can only bring in ONE bottle legally. 2) They do have a lot of new employees on Elation because of drydock. It probably went much smoother, though inconvienient for pax, while the Elation was in Galveston. Now that the Elation is in FLA pax bought a lot more liquor and the crew were unable to handle the situation. That simple.

It is a bad move by CCL and they should not try to implement it fleetwide.:(

Off my soap box now--thank you. :)

Sounds like a great idea. This should be implemented fleet wide. It will sure save a lot of time for the crew.

Sounds like a great idea. This should be implemented fleet wide. It will sure save a lot of time for the crew.

It would also save time for the crew if I cleaned my own cabin and fixed my own breakfast too.:rolleyes:

I've wished for years to have the duty-free booze delivered directly to the debark terminal where the luggage is picked up, and I'm still not sure why this isn't a "win-win" situation for the cruiseline, passengers, and Customs:

I don't have to haul it through the long lines getting off the ship, the cruiseline can deliver pallets of it by forklift (like luggage), Customs can spot large quantities for special consideration, and passengers will collect their purchases in queued organization as they are released from the ship.

Other than being able to enjoy a last night of relatively cheap drinking from a duty-free bottle, I would appreciate hearing other feedback. I know, personally, that I would buy more DF booze if I only had to lug it from the terminal to my car, but then again -- I'm local, so for those continuing on airplanes home, it's probably not that big of a deal.

Archived