TA Dilemma, Better Price Online TA

PattyMichael

We booked our cruise with our TA of may years (we have never received any perks from) for our cruise 9/2 Century. This is the most we will have ever spent on a vacation. The problem is I have seen a much better offer from a internet TA on the same catagory saving us $734. Are we suckers to stay with our TA. What does everyone do when they book with there TA and then see a lower offer? Do they jump ship if your TA can't match the price. I did email her in infor, but now I am felling guilty. Thanks

Don't feel guilty! That is alot of money. Before we new better we booked our 1st cruise with the TA we had always used for trips and flights. I saw a lower rate online but it was only about 200.00. I called her and she got us an upgrade. However, we now book with two certins cruise TA's that have gotten us $$$ back. Did your TA tell you if she would charge you a cancellation fee if you cancelled your booking? Watch out for that. I am sure if your TA can not match the price she would understand. You are not taking 50.00. Just be sure the TA you are looking at is reputable, does not charge a cancellation fee, monitors prices, etc. Century is a great ship! :p

With the current price fixing on RCCL and X I am surprised you found a discounted fare. Could it be a group fare? I would ask your TA. Would like to hear why the big difference.

I've used my TA for years and if I see a lower price somewhere, she always matches it for us. She doesn't mind at all so don't feel guilty. You are talking a huge difference. I like janetz's advice to check out the other agent carefully. Ask good questions and know what you are getting before making any swtich.

Let us know what your TA says.

First, be sure you are comparing apples to apples.. that is.. assigned cabin to assigned cabin... not assigned cabin to guarantee.

Group space has been recalled for September.

Could be something just as simple as a rate drop. Some sailings have been dropping.

As to the online agency, do you know the breakdown: cruise, port and tax?

I do this day in and day out with my clients, and when it comes to Celebrity and Royal... no difference.

BTW, looking at the farecodes, I do see rate drops.

The internet TA offered $500 ship board credit.And price of cruise $234 less then what my TA quoted. Another offered $ 190 less then what I am paying plus free travel insurance. Sorry to miss lead. The rates not much differance its the ship board credit and ot free travel insurance, which for the 13 day I thinks runs around $350.

As said earlier, give the TA a chance. The other thing to always watch is fees. Some charge fees for all sorts of things. Just watch out. Also, anything goes wrong, will they be there to help. Good service is worth a few $$$.

The "free travel" insurance does not have a monetary value of $350.00.

I've seen the policies. Not all insurance policies are created equal and a good agent recommends insurance which best fits the client's individual needs.

If problems arise, many of these online agencies do charge you to talk to a competent agent/customer service representative. Cancellation fees as well.

Simple Caribbean cruises..... online bookings are okay. European..... well.. you take your chances, especially if there are flight delays.. and other problems.

Celebrity does not allow discounting in any way. Also shipboard credits are not allowed to be given according to the new policy. The only thing that can be offered is the insurance. You may not end up with your onboard credit once Celebrity sees the bookings.

From Celebrity:

"A failure to comply with the policy may result in an account being placed on a no book status or termination of the relationship with the account."

I would be careful. Due to the new policy, you should NEVER see a discrepancy like this.

I have a very good TA, but under Celebrity rules she cannot give me "discounts", a couple of local agencies advertised much lower fares, and goodies such as "FREE AIR, FREE BUS, ON BOARD SPENDING CREDIT etc.

Naturally I was curious, so I checked them out. Both charged $300 Cancellation fees, (even if you cancelled within days of booking), the rates did not include taxes , these were add ons, as were Ins of course.

Both charged about $200 BOOKING FEE. the cabins were "gtd" and both claimed "you WILL get an upgrade, all our clients get upgrades " (we all know what that statement is worth)

Also found that "lowest price cabins are all sold out for that cruise" In other words the whole ad was "bait/switch/con trick"

Group space has been recalled for September.

Could you define what you mean by "group space"? I'd like to know whether cruises advertised by certain consortiums (Ensemble, for example) which typically offer a complimentary shore excursion, a cocktail party, and some other amenities such as (on some lines) paid gratuities or local transportation, would be referred to as group space and whether those deals they advertise have also been "recalled for September"? Also, whether or not their offers conflict with Celebrity's policy.

The main reason I am asking is that I tend to book directly with the cruiseline to have more control over my booking (to make changes, for one) for awhile and then check around for a good offer (not necessarily the lowest price) and give my booking to a TA and it gets "tucked into" their group space.

I booked a Celebrity cruise for this coming September, meeting the April 30th deadline for coupon use, and was planning to transfer my booking to an agency, hopefully as late as possible.

Suggestions?

Could you define what you mean by "group space"? I'd like to know whether cruises advertised by certain consortiums (Ensemble, for example) which typically offer a complimentary shore excursion, a cocktail party, and some other amenities such as (on some lines) paid gratuities or local transportation, would be referred to as group space and whether those deals they advertise have also been "recalled for September"? Also, whether or not their offers conflict with Celebrity's policy.

The main reason I am asking is that I tend to book directly with the cruiseline to have more control over my booking (to make changes, for one) for awhile and then check around for a good offer (not necessarily the lowest price) and give my booking to a TA and it gets "tucked into" their group space.

I booked a Celebrity cruise for this coming September, meeting the April 30th deadline for coupon use, and was planning to transfer my booking to an agency, hopefully as late as possible.

Suggestions?

Group space recalls means unsold cabins have been taken back by Celebrity. So any current offers by an agency would be at current market rates, not any group rate which may be slightly lower than prevailing rates.

Celebrity groups are finalized 90 days prior to departure. It's an accounting PITA.

As to Ensemble, in order to receive those perks, once must book with an Ensemble agency. When I do a booking for example with HAL, my Ensemble fare code is available in HAL's reservation system. All I have to do is use it. When Ensemble has a promotion with Celebrity, we do not have a separate fare code to use. We have forms to fill out... fax.. and chase. Back to the HAL example, to get the perks I must use the Ensemble rate loaded. I cannot use for example, Inventory clearance rates, Flash promos, etc. Not all categories are available under the Ensemble fare code, so you do have to be careful. Princess also has Ensemble fare codes. Cunard, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn as well. Sometimes the rates are no different, sometimes they are better. Each line has its own rules. And each promotion has its own rules as well.

There is a current Ensemble promotion with Celebrity for select 06 sailings with onboard credit. However, it is for oceanview and above, and you have to pay 5* rates. The obc can wipe out the fare difference if there are any promotional rates available. And it is for new bookings only, with a limited booking window.

Makes your head spin at times.

Group space recalls means unsold cabins have been taken back by Celebrity. So any current offers by an agency would be at current market rates, not any group rate which may be slightly lower than prevailing rates.

Celebrity groups are finalized 90 days prior to departure. It's an accounting PITA.

As to Ensemble, in order to receive those perks, once must book with an Ensemble agency. When I do a booking for example with HAL, my Ensemble fare code is available in HAL's reservation system. All I have to do is use it. When Ensemble has a promotion with Celebrity, we do not have a separate fare code to use. We have forms to fill out... fax.. and chase. Back to the HAL example, to get the perks I must use the Ensemble rate loaded. I cannot use for example, Inventory clearance rates, Flash promos, etc. Not all categories are available under the Ensemble fare code, so you do have to be careful. Princess also has Ensemble fare codes. Cunard, Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn as well. Sometimes the rates are no different, sometimes they are better. Each line has its own rules. And each promotion has its own rules as well.

There is a current Ensemble promotion with Celebrity for select 06 sailings with onboard credit. However, it is for oceanview and above, and you have to pay 5* rates. The obc can wipe out the fare difference if there are any promotional rates available. And it is for new bookings only, with a limited booking window.

Makes your head spin at times.

I'll say!

I really appreciate your response. As followup, could you clarify the following:

1) Since the sailing I booked is for late September, wouldn't it be rather early for "group space" or special offers (a la Ensemble, for example) to be withdrawn by (in my case) Celebrity?

2) Since I have already booked the cabin/category (well above oceanview) I want at a certain rate (with further discount to be applied with Celebrity's own coupon), shouldn't I be able to simply transfer that into an existing group as I have done in the past? Celebrity has told me that I can transfer the booking to a TA and apply the coupon for further discount, too.

3) I do realize that to get Ensemble discounts, I would need to transfer my booking to an Ensemble agency, ditto Virtuoso, Results, etc. if I found that those consortia offered something better. (I'm just now looking to see which is most advantageous.) That booking would not need to be "new", would it?

4) You wrote "Not all categories are available under the Ensemble fare code, so you do have to be careful."

Hmmm, as an upscale consortium, might I assume that Concierge Class and above WOULD be likely to be included within Ensemble fare codes? How about upper level "guarantee" cabins?

5) What are 5* rates?

6) As I recall, when I first booked the cruise, the Ensemble rates I saw online were identical to those offered by Celebrity, though it was nearly a week ago that I looked.

I'll say!

I really appreciate your response. As followup, could you clarify the following:

1) Since the sailing I booked is for late September, wouldn't it be rather early for "group space" or special offers (a la Ensemble, for example) to be withdrawn by (in my case) Celebrity?

2) Since I have already booked the cabin/category (well above oceanview) I want at a certain rate (with further discount to be applied with Celebrity's own coupon), shouldn't I be able to simply transfer that into an existing group as I have done in the past? Celebrity has told me that I can transfer the booking to a TA and apply the coupon for further discount, too.

3) I do realize that to get Ensemble discounts, I would need to transfer my booking to an Ensemble agency, ditto Virtuoso, Results, etc. if I found that those consortia offered something better. (I'm just now looking to see which is most advantageous.) That booking would not need to be "new", would it?

4) You wrote "Not all categories are available under the Ensemble fare code, so you do have to be careful."

Hmmm, as an upscale consortium, might I assume that Concierge Class and above WOULD be likely to be included within Ensemble fare codes? How about upper level "guarantee" cabins?

5) What are 5* rates?

6) As I recall, when I first booked the cruise, the Ensemble rates I saw online were identical to those offered by Celebrity, though it was nearly a week ago that I looked.

1. The Ensemble promotion is not based on actual group space.

2. You can use your coupon. BUT, may not be combinable if you want to use another promotion.,

3. Depends on the promotion.

4. Oceanview and above. And you must be booked at the 5* rate. Sometimes it can be more expensive than LAF (lowest available fare). cannot booked say a Resident rate, senior rate, X, Y. etc.

5. Non promotional rates, typically higher than promotional

6. Don't know... would have to look.

I have found out the those offers were to good to be ture. The quote don't exists, don't know how the can get way with trying to bait you in. I know better now. I think the most importand thing is you trust your TA some internet TA's I just don't know I am sure there are good one but the offers I got were not. So be carefull. My TA said that Since 2004- and the ruling no agency can have differant rate for fear of retaliation. She said we are protected if Celebrity lower there rate on our cruise they will reduce our price.

Archived